PDA

View Full Version : Wait.... What the?!?! Full ver. of World of Goo in portage?

dragos240
November 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Look at this!

* games-puzzle/world-of-goo
Latest version available: 1.41
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 64,871 kB
Homepage: http://2dboy.com/
Description: World of Goo is a puzzle game with a strong emphasis on physics
License: 2dboy-EULA

* games-puzzle/world-of-goo-demo
Latest version available: 1.41
Latest version installed: 1.41
Size of files: 33,915 kB
Homepage: http://2dboy.com/
Description: World of Goo is a puzzle game with a strong emphasis on physics
License: 2dboy-EULA

Good reason to switch to gentoo! :o

NoaHall
November 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hm. Try installing it. See what happens.

YourSurrogateGod
November 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
What's World of Goo?

subdivision
November 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
What's World of Goo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_goo

dragos240
November 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hmm..... It seems it covers the deps of World of Goo. It says to download the tar.gz manually. Seems it's not free after all. That would have been so cool!

earthpigg
November 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
is there a mechanism by which it asks you to verify and explicitly state that you have indeed purchased the game from 2dboy?

alternatively, and ideally, is this merely a script that repackages a .deb (or other officially supported package by 2dboy) you have legally and separately come into possession of into a gentoo package?

else, this is software piracy and illegal.

it is completely ridiculous and hypocritical for Free Software developers/users (such as the Gentoo dev team) to demand that others respect the GPL and other Free Software licenses, while simultaneously completely ignoring the license under which World of Goo (or any other software) was released.

edit:

Hmm..... It seems it covers the deps of World of Goo. It says to download the tar.gz manually. Seems it's not free after all. That would have been so cool!

good, it seems that the answer to my second question is 'yes'.

and it would not have been 'cool' if this where not the case, for the reason i stated above.

Adherence to Software Licenses make the Free Software and Open Source movements stronger, not weaker, and thus should be respected.

NoaHall
November 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
is there a mechanism by which it asks you to verify and explicitly state that you have indeed purchased the game from 2dboy?

alternatively, and ideally, is this merely a script that repackages a .deb (or other officially supported package by 2dboy) you have legally and separately come into possession of into a gentoo package?

else, this is software piracy and illegal.

it is completely ridiculous and hypocritical for Free Software developers/users (such as the Gentoo dev team) to demand that others respect the GPL and other Free Software licenses, while simultaneously completely ignoring the license under which World of Goo (or any other software) was released.

Huh?
The OP said that it only covers the dependencies, not the full game, and it tells you to download the game if you want to use it. Also, Gentoo doesn't use .deb files.

earthpigg
November 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Huh?
The OP said that it only covers the dependencies, not the full game, and it tells you to download the game if you want to use it.

saw that, and edited my post accordingly.

Also, Gentoo doesn't use .deb files.

you don't think it would be conceivable that a distribution would provide a semi-automated mechanism that repackages a package from .deb or some other format into a format that the distro can use?

i assume that 2dboy doesn't release an official gentoo package (a *-bin.tgz or whatever with gentoo-specific metadata and depends), and further conjecturing/visualizing a the possibility that a gentoo user created a script that would convert the package from whatever 2dboy releases (.deb was the example i used, same concept would apply to any binary package format) into a gentoo package, and then got that script into the repos.

and, in fact, this was exactly the case... except that they picked a package format other than the one i arbitrarily picked for my example.

:D

HappinessNow
November 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Should have bought the World of Goo during the one year anniversary
name-your-price sale.

ElSlunko
November 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Should have bought the World of Goo during the one year anniversary
name-your-price sale.

Same. Big bag of DOH!

Nerd King
November 29th, 2009, 03:01 AM
World Of Goo is a fantastic game, well worth buying at whatever price. Open your wallets!

HappinessNow
November 29th, 2009, 03:03 AM
World Of Goo is a fantastic game, well worth buying at whatever price. Open your wallets!
Agreed...$20 is a bargain for World of Goo!

handy
November 29th, 2009, 06:27 AM
The download was available for Arch in the AUR, so I investigated the game a little. The 2 or 3 people that have made this brilliant game are great. They have such a healthy attitude to the world at large, business, consumerism, pollution...

So I agree, for $20- these guys really deserve support. Great game, great attitude.

The way it should be in the gaming world. I think.

Obviously I bought it! :)