PDA

View Full Version : any metalheads out there????

phillychease
November 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
your favorite metal band: IRON MAIDEN!
favorite metal song: run to the hills

UP THE IRONS!:guitar:

subdivision
November 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
your favorite metal band: IRON MAIDNE!

Run To the Hills is a wicked song.

cariboo
November 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
It might help if you looked at thes threads:

Poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297506&highlight=metalheads)

Are there any metalhead Linux users out there (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035620&highlight=metalheads)

Do we have any metalheads here? (http:///ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49669&highlight=metalheads)

This has been brought up so often it should almost be a recurring discussion. :)

koshatnik
November 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
It might help if you looked at thes threads:

Poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297506&highlight=metalheads)

Are there any metalhead Linux users out there (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035620&highlight=metalheads)

Do we have any metalheads here? (http:///ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49669&highlight=metalheads)

This has been brought up so often it should almost be a recurring discussion. :)

It seems a pre-requisite to be a nerd. That and arguing over which subgenre each band belongs in :D

mobilediesel
November 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Kick *** band and kick *** song.
I listen to a lot of 80s metal as well as black/death metal.

A good current band isn't even real. Dethklok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dethklok) is quite entertaining both as a melidoc death metal band and as a ridiculous cartoon that I can't stop watching. :D

semitone36
November 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
DETHKLOK RULES! TOKI FTW!!!

Also, i just found an unreal instrumental band called Countdown on jamendo. Check out their album Break Rise Blowing

SuperSonic4
November 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Damn right, got Sonata Arctica on now

Favourite Band: Iron Maiden
Favourite Song: Aces High or Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Seeing maiden at twickenham was the best gig ever

NoaHall
November 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
It seems a pre-requisite to be a nerd. That and arguing over which subgenre each band belongs in :D

No it doesn't seem that way.

mobilediesel
November 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Also, i just found an unreal instrumental band called Countdown on jamendo. Check out their album Break Rise Blowing

Thanks for pointing out Break Rise Blowing! After listening to a couple songs I'm downloading the whole album. Next time I have some money they're on my list of favorites so I remember to send some their way.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Though I like all kinds of music, when it comes to metal, old school, myself........

Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, would be my top 3 faves.

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Yes and Iron Maiden bore me. Take that sacrilege =P

phillychease
November 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Though I like all kinds of music, when it comes to metal, old school, myself........

Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, would be my top 3 faves.

did you hear that Dio has cancer?? :((((((

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
did you hear that Dio has cancer??

Yep. Stomach cancer. Possible that it was caught early enough to treat, but not likely.

Sad.

BslBryan
November 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Favorite Metal Band Atm: 3 way tie - Symphony X, Necrophagist, Cephalic Carnage

Favorite Metal Song Atm: Aces High - Iron Maiden

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Countdown RULES!!

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
My favorites... mmmm... if we are talking about pure, raw, headbanging metal... I would say Demons & Wizards...

Now, my favorite bands are Therion and Diablo Swing Orchestra ( as you can see... not raw metal.. jeje)

RATM_Owns
November 28th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I like death, black, thrash, doom, grindcore, goregrind, and most other extreme metal genres. Deathcore/metalcore/nu-metal excluded, because they suck and aren't metal.

Favorite bands are Cryptopsy (except the new album), Deathspell Omega, Carcass, Megadeth, Death, Suffocation, Napalm Death, and Necrophagist.

EDIT: Oh, and Mortician.

koshatnik
November 28th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Nerds are funny

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
So, fellow metalheads, I bring you the first Google Images result for "World Painted Blood":
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/HostedByChrist/1d6a0989.jpg
Discuss.

nothingspecial
November 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Judas Priest invented Iron Maiden........ and Slayer.

Don`t make me justify this comment, it`s a fact.

phillychease
November 29th, 2009, 01:03 AM
So, fellow metalheads, I bring you the first Google Images result for "World Painted Blood":
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/HostedByChrist/1d6a0989.jpg
Discuss.

hahaha thats funny.
but i really love WORLD PAINTED BLOOD album though.

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I haven't listened to it all, but the verses of the title track are catchy as hell (especially the singing).

But they've been hopping on every trend and are mostly just riding on the success of Reign in Blood in my opinion.

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Judas Priest invented Iron Maiden........ and Slayer.

Don`t make me justify this comment, it`s a fact.
Judas Priest invented Cannibal Corpse.

Cannibal Corpse was made by vocalist Chris Barnes (Barnsey), who originally wanted to sing as high as Rob Halford/Metal God, but couldn't since his voice was too low. Then he starting singing as low as he could.

That, and Cannibal Corpse was influenced by Slayer.

But IMO, the biggest death metal influences were Possessed and Sodom.

phillychease
November 29th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Judas Priest invented Cannibal Corpse.

Cannibal Corpse was made by vocalist Chris Barnes (Barnsey), who originally wanted to sing as high as Rob Halford/Metal God, but couldn't since his voice was too low. Then he starting singing as low as he could.

That, and Cannibal Corpse was influenced by Slayer.

But IMO, the biggest death metal influences were Possessed and Sodom.

you forgot Death!

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 02:40 AM
you forgot Death!
Death is kick-*** and one of my favorite bands. Chuck Schuldiner is a god.

But I meant influenced the starting, not WERE death metal bands.
Sodom and Possessed were thrash (you could consider Possessed death metal but...)

And Death was also obviously influenced by Judas Priest. Or else they wouldn't have covered Painkiller for Sound of Perseverance.

koleoptero
November 29th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I wouldn't know where to start with this.

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I'm a black metal fan, but I like nearly all genres of metal, except for Stradivarious type heavy metal.

Deicider
November 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
you mean stratovarious?
They are Power Metal.
Ye,its kinda gayish but it has it moments (:

I listen to Death/Black/Doom/Grind bands and few alternative rock (grunge,post-rock etc).

I dont like maiden,judas,megadeath and all that,well,i respect them cause they are the ones that made metal as it is today but i don listem to their music.

venator260
November 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Metal head here as well, although I tend to go to heavier stuff than Iron Maiden, except when I'm listening to Rush.

But, my two favorite metal songs at the moment are Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asaguaard and Ensiferum - Into Battle.

Also, I have this stuck in my head for some reason.

Super Mario Bros Castle Theme Metal Remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBgMk4X9MzA

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I don't listen to Judas, though I don't dislike them. I liked Megadeth up to Cryptic Writings (which is way, way more than I cans say about most thrash bands) but I haven't listened to them in years. I would probably still like it, I suppose.

Doom is the stuff, straight from Black Sabbath to Trouble, Candlemass, Sleep, and all of those sludge bands that followed. The same with My Dying Bride, early Tiamat, Anathema, The Gathering, Amorphis, Saturnus, and a long etc.

I started to get into black through those melodic Norwegian bands a la Dimmu Borgir, but then found Darkthrone and enjoyed the rawer type bands a lot more (I still love Emperor, though, Satyricon too). One band I found awesome is Deathspell Omega. A lot of French bands have put out interesting things too.

I'm eagerly awayting the new Burzum, even if Vikernes is personally an idiot.

PariahVayne
November 29th, 2009, 04:29 AM
even if Vikernes is personally an idiot.

Excuse all the blood =P

Marvin666
November 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Slipknot is my favorite band.

phillychease
November 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I don't listen to Judas, though I don't dislike them. I liked Megadeth up to Cryptic Writings (which is way, way more than I cans say about most thrash bands) but I haven't listened to them in years. I would probably still like it, I suppose.

Doom is the stuff, straight from Black Sabbath to Trouble, Candlemass, Sleep, and all of those sludge bands that followed. The same with My Dying Bride, early Tiamat, Anathema, The Gathering, Amorphis, Saturnus, and a long etc.

I started to get into black through those melodic Norwegian bands a la Dimmu Borgir, but then found Darkthrone and enjoyed the rawer type bands a lot more (I still love Emperor, though, Satyricon too). One band I found awesome is Deathspell Omega. A lot of French bands have put out interesting things too.

ahhhh doom metal! :)
dont you just love the album dope smoker? haha

Cope57
November 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Metal is good...

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6923/crxx.gif (http://www.chronixradio.com)

My favorite online radio station.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I thought Ubuntu was the official metal OS. Am I wrong?

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
He's simply stating that most "black metallers" tend to behave like the stereotypical negro...

Yeah, he's an idiot. But you know, one look at bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir tells me he's right.

Slipknot is my favorite band.
...okay, but what metal do you like?

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
ahhhh doom metal! :)
dont you just love the album dope smoker? haha

yes, I love it.

koshatnik
November 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
He's simply stating that most "black metallers" tend to behave like the stereotypical negro...

Yeah, he's an idiot. But you know, one look at bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir tells me he's right.

...okay, but what metal do you like?

He's not an idiot, he's a murdering nazi idiot. Just like the rest of the Norwegian metal scene of the time, he was part of a group of socially retarded juvenile inadequates that thought that dressing in black, setting fire to churches and hanging about in woods with knives was somehow where its at.

Pity they just didnt take all of themselves out in one go.

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Nah, Norwegian black metal is awesome.

But I nominate "War" for worst Burzum song.
"This is huh, wow. AH RA RO GAO! AH REH-KA GAO!"

EDIT: And I hate people who know Varg Vikernes solely for his murder of Euronymous and that he burned churches and say they like him and have probably never heard a note of "My Journey to the Stars" or even "The Crying Orc." Not that anyone here applies to that, just saying.

koshatnik
November 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Nah, Norwegian black metal is awesome.

As an intelligent, discerning adult, i'd substitute awesome for pathetic. Or maybe dull. Or maybe both.

cdwillis
November 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I used to listen to a lot of metal, not so much lately, but my favorites are probably Pantera, Judas Priest, and Racer X.

I love 80s (glam) metal too. RATT, GnR, Skid Row, etc kick *** too.

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I used to listen to a lot of metal, not so much lately, but my favorites are probably Pantera, Judas Priest, and Racer X.

I love 80s (glam) metal too. RATT, GnR, Skid Row, etc kick *** too.
I don't like Pantera, Judas Priest is amazing, and Paul Gilbert is one of the best guitarists ever. (Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick are better though. :P)

nothingspecial
November 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Only true brothers of steel would give away their metal for free.

Ladies and gentlemen, the one true metal band

NanowaR (http://www.nanowar.it/)

RATM_Owns
November 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
only true brothers of steel would give away their metal for free.

Ladies and gentlemen, the one true metal band

nanowar (http://www.nanowar.it/)
Nanowar!
Trve metal of steel!

lunyx
November 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
metal rules.
altough i listen and play jazz, metal will always be my first love.
i love everything from experimental to sludge.

\m/

RATM_Owns
November 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Coolest thing ever.

There's a concert about 30 minutes away from me. The awesome part? NILE AND IMMOLATION AT THE SAME CONCERT!

I... must... go...

cdwillis
November 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't like Pantera, Judas Priest is amazing, and Paul Gilbert is one of the best guitarists ever. (Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick are better though. :P)

Loomis awesome, but I don't know if he's on Gilbert's level. As for Broderick... Well that guy is just insane. :p

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Used to be a huge metal head. I listened to a lot of Black and Death Metal, but I got kind of bored of it now. I still listen from time to time, usually something like Agalloch, Alcest, Drudkh, Electric Wizard or the classics like Megadeth.

One thing I won't listen to anymore is bands like Dream Theater or Necrophagist, who's whole point is to show how their skills and how many obscure time signatures they can play in. I get it, you can play your instrument. Boring.

koshatnik
November 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
One thing I won't listen to anymore is bands like Dream Theater or Necrophagist, who's whole point is to show how their skills and how many obscure time signatures they can play in. I get it, you can play your instrument. Boring.

Song writing>musical noodling. Anyone can learn to noodle. Not everyone can write a decent song.

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Song writing>musical noodling. Anyone can learn to noodle. Not everyone can write a decent song.

I agree. I have much more respect for someone who plays three notes that sound amazing than someone who can sweep pick 64th notes at 200 bpm in 15/89 time.

RATM_Owns
November 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I actually like Necrophagist and their songwriting. Stabwound is a really good song.

Dream Theater is okay, haven't listened to much of them, but I know Petrucci has little to no emotion in his guitar playing.

Dirtpile
December 1st, 2009, 02:06 AM
Does German metal count?

For the past couple years I've pretty much stuck to Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, Stahlhammer and Megahertz.

When I'm not listening to classic rock that is.

bsharp
December 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
IN FLAMES WE TRUST!

Clayman is one of those albums that never gets old, and every song on there is one of my favorites, but these stand out: Bullet Ride, Only for the Weak, Suburban Me (epic solo), Clayman, etc....

PariahVayne
December 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
x

RATM_Owns
December 1st, 2009, 02:58 AM
IN FLAMES WE TRUST!
Lolno. They sold out the minute they formed.
That and their music just sucks.

In other news, I just listened to two of Discordance Axis' albums. One of the best grind bands ever.

bsharp
December 1st, 2009, 03:18 AM
Lolno. They sold out the minute they formed.
That and their music just sucks.

In other news, I just listened to two of Discordance Axis' albums. One of the best grind bands ever.

No. Take a listen to anything on Lunar Strain, Subterranean, The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, or Clayman. Then tell me they sold out over those 7 years.

I'm not crazy about the newer stuff, but you can't write off the entire discography of one of the most influential melodeath bands because you don't like the latest album.

I should mention my other favs:
Edge of Sanity
Dark Tranquillity
At the Gates
Amon Amarth
Behemoth
Daylight Dies
Dimension Zero
Into Eternity
Sentenced
Wintersun

PariahVayne
December 1st, 2009, 03:20 AM
x

phillychease
December 1st, 2009, 04:11 AM
Excellent taste sir.

i second that.

Praxicoide
December 1st, 2009, 04:36 AM
http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/stryper.jpg

\\m// TOO MUCH METAL TO HANDLE \\m//

RiceMonster
December 1st, 2009, 04:47 AM
I don't really care if In Flames sold out, but bands like them, Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity (aka melodeath) put me to sleep.

Praxicoide
December 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
I don't really like that particular genre. It feel like I'm listening to an old anime soundtrack with the riffing.

phillychease
December 1st, 2009, 05:51 AM
Does German metal count?

For the past couple years I've pretty much stuck to Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, Stahlhammer and Megahertz.

When I'm not listening to classic rock that is.

try Black Messiah too. they're pretty good! :)

randumbtune
December 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Heya Felas ,

I am in ,
I digg bands like : Opeth , Iron Maiden , Behemoth , Nile , Burzum , Mayhem , Dimmu Borgir , Chimiara , Sepultura , Death , Morbid Angels

Keyper7
December 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't really like that particular genre. It feel like I'm listening to an old anime soundtrack with the riffing.

Which is a bad thing because...? ;)

Zoot7
December 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Count me in too. I play huge amounts of Metal. :)

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
I can enjoy cheesy stuff all the time, and a lot of metal is heavy on its cheese contents, but way too melodic stuff, and power metal is a bit too much for me; It's like listening to a genre and not to music.

mamamia88
December 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Listening to "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica now they are awesome

koleoptero
December 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/stryper.jpg

\\m// TOO MUCH METAL TO HANDLE \\m//

Oh goodness, and I thought I am gay.

texpat
December 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Iron Maiden, Metallica, Helloween... you name them, bring 'em on!
Current fave: Ace of Spades by Motorhead. Getting all nostalgic now...;)

Dr. Freeze
December 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
well I don't particularly just listen to metal but i just like music that isn't predicatible and cliché so in the metal genre I like Between the Buried and Me and I also like Scale the Summit

RATM_Owns
December 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm not a huge melodeath fan, my fav melodeath albums are Carcass' "Heartwork" and "Swansong" because I love their earlier work. Then would go Bloodbath and Opeth (if you consider them melodeath) and finally Arch Enemy (Angela's hot).

Heya Felas ,

I am in ,
I digg bands like : Opeth , Iron Maiden , Behemoth , Nile , Burzum , Mayhem , Dimmu Borgir , Chimiara , Sepultura , Death , Morbid Angels
Opeth is good, Iron Maiden is awesome, Behemoth is good, Nile is awesome, Burzum is awesome, Mayhem is awesome, Demon Burger sold out/isn't black metal anymore, don't know Chimiara, old Sepultura is awesome, Death is awesome beyond words, it's Morbid Angel (no "s") and they're awesome beyond words (especially "Altars of Madness").

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Demon Burger sold out/isn't black metal anymore

http://omploader.org/vMndqOQ

Praxicoide
December 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Opeth is good, Iron Maiden is awesome, Behemoth is good, Nile is awesome, Burzum is awesome, Mayhem is awesome, Demon Burger sold out/isn't black metal anymore, don't know Chimiara, old Sepultura is awesome, Death is awesome beyond words, it's Morbid Angel (no "s") and they're awesome beyond words (especially "Altars of Madness").

Yeah, pretty much, except I don't like Morbid after Formulas...

toupeiro
December 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Not much in to the Black metal stuff anymore, guess I grew out of it. Maybe starting to date myself but I mail ordered De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas when it came out! Thats how far back I go with that kind of metal. You most certainly couldn't find it on the shelves of any music store as you can today... you had to look long and hard for it. Today I really don't listen to any of it.

For Rock, I'm more into the progressive rock scene now. Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Porcupine Tree, Rush, etc etc. I listen to more blues than anything.

Firestem4
December 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'm picky when it comes to metal. Metallica is my favorite band (ever & and favorite metal band). Iron Maiden and Dio rock. Not a big fan of Judas Priest though.

I like a lot of the new Symphonic/Gothic metal coming out of Norway and Sweden, those area's, but i'm not a death metal fan. The only Death metal (style) I like is from the Gothic band Sirenia. Otherwise i'm a big fan of Within Temptation, Nightwish. Opeth has some kick stuff. Things like that.

wilee-nilee
December 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM

handy
December 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not a metal head, though I do have a cranioplasty...

pwnst*r
December 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
i think it's great to see so many kids into Maiden like i used to be (still am, just not fanatic about them to the extreme)