PDA

View Full Version : why did you switch to ubuntu?

phillychease
November 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
i switched from winxp cuz i hated the slow boot time
and i hated all the resources the anti-virus takes! :)
its all about speed for me!:p

spcwingo
November 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
One word...Vista. ;)

jwbrase
November 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I switched because I don't like Microsoft's business practices.

subdivision
November 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i switched from winxp cuz i hated the slow boot time

You must boot your computer pretty often.

I had originally switched due to Windows 2k's support dropping off. Switched over to Arch, and now I use Win7 on my desktop and Arch on my laptop.

lightningfox
November 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Because its free and secure.

redrac
November 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Had nasty virus that prevented booting. Put in Ubuntu livecd to recover files. Liked it so well kept it. Was surprised to see every piece of hardware working. Hasn't been the case with previous linux installs. Plus wine has come a long way.

cariboo
November 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I was tired of PCLinuxOS and wanted something new.

dream_coder
November 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Bill Gates with his power mononoply

ZankerH
November 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I didn'd "switch" to ubuntu, I use it alongside with all the other GNU/Linux distributions I used before I tried ubuntu.

Chargaff
November 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Microsoft Phylosophy, viruses (security), software cost, closed source, lack of connectivity between 2 windows computer, poor community support, poor performances as time goes by, need to reboot often, no built-in virtual desktop, ect, ect, ect...

Marlonsm
November 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I wanted to try something new, I don't like to use something just because everybody else uses it.
The day I found out about Wubi and how easy it is to use, I downloaded Ubuntu.

It was about one year ago, now I'm still dual booting it with Windows XP, but somehow my XP decided it would not connect to the network anymore, and I don't feel like fixing it...