PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Empathy/session indicator applet

cespinal
November 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Fellas. im having a little problem with Empathy:

It wont integrate with the session indicator applet. So the horrible green balloon is there, sitting on the notification area, and I would like to have integrated with the session applet, ala jaunty.

My GF has not had any problems with that..her applet works ok and I can't tell why.

Any hints??? I read something about switching back to a previous version and deleting the ppa: telepathy... but I have no clue on how to do that.

cespinal
November 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
bump

kemsiro
November 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
i got the same problem after i updated empathy !!!
anyone ?

cespinal
November 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
There have been some bu reports about this. There is some solution having to do with deleting empathy and the ppa:telepathy repository, so you can install an earlier version.

.....I have no clue on how to proceed in that regard.

Coder543
November 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I too made the mistake of upgrading my telepathy/empathy...

Here's what I did.

Remove all empathy packages. (empathy* and libempathy*)

this will also remove indicator-session and indicator-applet-session

Now, i cleaned my deb cache

Then I installed empathy and the indicator stuff

Then I told indicator-messages to reinstall

Then I killed gnome-panel (you can just log out/in or reboot)

And the applet worked happily ever after (so far)

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Thaks for the reply!

I followed your steps and unluckily, the ugly green orb is still there... maybe I'm missing something. Would you please confirm me how to clean the deb cache?

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
@Coder543: thanks man, i got it fixed.

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
hey kesmiroooo!!!!!

Would you pease tell me what you did? specialy the cleaning the cache thing... I thining I did something wrong

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
@cespinal:
what i did is just following his guide
- uninstall the package using synaptic
- remove the cache -- i used ubuntu tweak to do so
- reinstall the package
- pkill gnome-panel

that's it.

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Nothing.... tried it 3 times in a row... even changing the steps

Any other way to do this??? :(

I think I keep downloading the lates verion of empathy... If that is what causes the problem..

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
oh and be sure to remove the empathy unstable repo in the sources.lst

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM
how to do that :(?

I mean... I dont see any "telepathy" or "empathy" repo listed there...

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM
did u use any app like ubuntu tweak to add the unstable empathy repo?

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
nopes... I use ubuntu tweak, but I did not use it to install the unstable empathy repo...As a matter or fact, I have been trying to downgrade empathy using synaptic.

However, I did use ubuntu tweak to erase the cache as you suggested.

Thanks for taking your time to help me sort this out BTW :)

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
that's weird
i thought your case was same as mine ( i updated empathy to a unstable version using tweak)

if so, check in the preferences -> notifications of empathy and make sure "user message indicator" is checked

cespinal
November 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
well.... THAT MADE IT!! HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

kemsiro
November 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
no prob.

madchine
March 1st, 2010, 10:47 PM
This has been a much more recent occurence for me. Some upgrade in January/february introduced this and it's frankly bizarre that Ubuntu hasn't weeded this out seeing as they've started this whole 'me-menu' thing... If you're gonna integrate, do it properly, I say, or don't do it at all :/

Anyway, the proposed solution doesn't do it for me, though followed to the letter - maybe because I'm simply using the official repos and not an experimental one? Any more recent experiences with this?

Coder543
March 2nd, 2010, 03:31 AM
I would check your empathy settings per Kemsiro's recent comment that worked for cespinal... mine's been working fine. (i haven't checked it in about a week or week and a half because i switched over to KDE's netbook variant... and the green icon looks very nice when mixed with KDE's icons. (since there is no indicator-applet in KDE similar to the GNOME one) lol)

And honestly, I think they did a decent job, since this was the first version. I would venture to bet that integration for the next release will be more solid, although I'm currently planning on getting an Apple iPad... so i may not be seeing as much of Ubuntu as I do now. (although I will still think its amazing, and recommend it to friends and family as needed. Plus i should be installing it on some school laptops tomorrow)

I wish you the best of luck with this issue, if there is a step i described in my initial response, you can ask me about it, but that was what worked for me. I'm not sure how to help with any other empathy/indicator applet integration issue. I probably should have written out the terminal commands i used to accomplish those steps, but that was a long time ago and i've since forgotten the exact commands that I used.

Ubuntu has served me well, and i'll still be using it on one or two computers, but I really want an iPad... contrary to what most of the internet seems to think, I am pretty sure it will be amazing, and will serve my needs... although I'll have to use one in person before I decide to buy it.