PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Half desktop on display

kjaggu
November 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi,

I have no clues how this is happening. However, since today morning there is a strange development on my laptop. I now have two RHS desktops being displayed on my screen. Mind it, this is only the desktop. Applications are running fine and displayed properly. I have no clues how this happened. Please do help me sort this mess. I have attached the screenshot of the same.

Any help would be really helpful.

Jagadeesh

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I have the exact same issue.
I thought it was a Compiz problem. Disabling Compiz allowed the left half to refresh again (the problem is visible in OP screenshot), but it still divides my desktop into half, and doesn't seem to recognize the left half as part of the desktop at all, i.e. desktop icons automatically go to the top-left corner of the right half of the screen. Screenshot attached for clarity's sake.

SE_Sleepy
January 25th, 2010, 07:51 AM
What happens when you try and switch workplaces?

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM
What happens when you try and switch workplaces?

Nothing at all. It switches fine, but it switches to a workplace with the exact same problem.

SE_Sleepy
January 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM
And are you dual monitoring by any chance? :)

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Negative, I'm on a laptop.

SE_Sleepy
January 25th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Maybe you want to try reinstalling your video drivers. But I don't know. I read somewhere that nvidia drivers sometimes mess up with silly bugs like this, but I'm not sure if that will fix it.

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I don't have nVidia drivers. And to be honest, I'm not sure how to reinstall my video drivers...
But I'll give it a shot. :D

SE_Sleepy
January 25th, 2010, 08:20 AM
You can reinstall your video drivers trough synaptic or the apt-get command in the terminal :)

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Ah, okay, I think I've got it. It's xserver-xorg-video-intel. Reinstalling now. Wish me luck. ;)

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Reinstalling the driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) and rebooting did nothing. I even rebooted once into the .16-generic kernel, just to be sure. Nothing. :(

routtj
January 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
For some reason, when I disable desktop effects, after I log out and log in, they're turned back on.

routtj
January 26th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Bump.

routtj
January 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
It randomly went back to normal while I was moving a window.

routtj
January 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
And after a reboot, it's back again.

routtj
January 26th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Okay, really? Nobody can help? :(

realzippy
January 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
..there was an updade of xserver-xorg-video-intel....maybe it messed up something?

Jake R.
January 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
routtj, can you post the contents of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"?

If you're not sure how to do that, "gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" would bring it up, then just copy and paste from there.

routtj
January 27th, 2010, 06:04 AM
/etc/X11 contains:

[folder] app-defaults
[folder] cursors
[folder] fonts
[folder] xinit
[folder] xkb
[folder] Xresources
[folder] Xsession.d
default-display-manager
rgb.txt
X
Xsession
Xsession.options
XvMCConfig
Xwrapper.config

No xorg.conf.

EDIT: Okay, I've figured out the problem. I had made a config file called ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (which is only one line, "gtk-recent-files-max-age=0") to stop "Recent Documents" from functioning, since it's a pain to me. That's what's causing it. If I delete the file and run "nautilus -q" everything's fine again.

lwhitmore
February 8th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I have exactly the same problem - but I'm using Nvidia drivers.

lwhitmore
February 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I have exactly the same problem - but I'm using Nvidia drivers.

Spoke too soon -> solved: http://guide.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1533037