PDA

View Full Version : debian testing vs arch?

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
i was wondering which would be easier to use for a noob? and which has fewer bugs? also what is included on dvd 1 for debian?

cascade9
November 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I would think that Debian would be easier for a newbie. That goes, ohh, times 20 if the newbie has used ubuntu at all.

Debian DVD 1 has the base install, and the most common applications.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
so synaptic is included on dvd 1? just making sure? i am doing research to make sure everything will work before i install it. and is b43 in synaptic?

chris200x9
November 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I say arch, it's pretty easy if yo read stuff and the package manager is awesome. That and I really don't like .deb distros come to think of it I really don't like most package managers :P

cascade9
November 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
so synaptic is included on dvd 1? just making sure? i am doing research to make sure everything will work before i install it. and is b43 in synaptic?

Yeah, synaptic is on DVD1. Even if its not, Debian will grab it from the repos.

B43? You mean the Broadcom wireless?

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Hallvor
November 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
i was wondering which would be easier to use for a noob? and which has fewer bugs? also what is included on dvd 1 for debian?

I wouldn`t recommend any of those two for noobs. If you know how to use them, you are no longer a noob.

If it is the rolling release thing that the noob wants, PCLinuxOS would be a much better choice for an inexperienced user.

chucky chuckaluck
November 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
as ubuntu is debian based, using debian would be a lot easier. (one might quaintly suggest that debian is ubuntu's grumpier, older sibling.)

Greg
November 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
If you're willing to no longer be a noob, both are very usable with a little time and effort. Especially if you're willing to read a little.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
so pc linux is rolling release that is easy to use?

Hallvor
November 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
so pc linux is rolling release that is easy to use?

Extremely easy with many good GUI tools. Try the Gnome edition if you prefer Gnome. I used it myself for a long time and was very happy with it.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
so what is it based off of?

Greg
November 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
so what is it based off of?

Mandriva, although it uses apt-rpm.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
cool downloading now i want a good rolling release don't want to reinstall all the time

szymon_g
November 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
who said that you have to reinstall 'all the time'? take something will long support (ubuntu lts, debian stable, centos, sled) or learn how to do upgrades

mamamia88
November 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
doesn't upgrading break stuff lots of times?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
doesn't upgrading break stuff lots of times?

Yes, it can. Not always, but it can cause breakage or minor to major issues. A clean install is ALWAYS the best option...period.

handy
November 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
If you ever choose to install Arch, you MUST follow the Beginners Guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide) to the letter.

The Guide is brilliant, without it, there would be far fewer Arch users...

Some people find the The Beginners Guide to look like it is huge at first glance. In truth it is not, as according to your hardware situation (& to some extent software desires) it skips you through to where you need to go next.

SuperSonic4
November 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
If you ever choose to install Arch, you MUST follow the Beginners Guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide) to the letter.

The Guide is brilliant, without it, there would be far fewer Arch users...

Some people find the The Beginners Guide to look like it is huge at first glance. In truth it is not, as according to your hardware situation (& to some extent software desires) it skips you through to where you need to go next.

+1 if you read this arch will seem simpler. Biggest problems are wireless and Xorg really.

I'd recommend installing yaourt too for easy use of the AUR

I prefer rolling release because it keeps me more up to date and contrary to popular opinion arch is stable (but I don't have [testing] enabled)

Pacman is also a very nice little tool and the AUR means you'll almost never have to compile again