PDA

View Full Version : There is not enough talk about XFCE 4.6

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I may just be getting overly optimistic. But with all the complaints that Gnome is becoming a iDont desktop. Backed with the whole Gnome Shell controversy, I am shocked that more users havent mentioned XFCE. Its traditionally known as just a liter DE for slower PCs, but does liter mean "less features"?

I have been taking my time to review the features of XFCE 4.6.1 (http://www.xfce.org/about/tour) and over all I am shocked. Although it isnt as robust as Gnome, it has some features users have been wanting that Gnome does not have or had removed many years ago. Example is multi wallpapers for multi displays.

Over all with the release of 4.6, I dont consider it as a lite weight DE anymore. But as a strong competitor and a shoe in for a complete Gnome replacement.

cascade9
November 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
You have a point Exodist. I wouldnt be suprised if when gnome 3 hits a lot more people move to Xfce. Or at least take a look at it.

I'm more than happy with Xfce 4.4.2, but I'm hoping that I like 4.6.x more. When I get around to getting it anyway. I always prefered it gnome, I dont know why, and with the mess that was KDE 4.1/4.2 there was no way I was going to run that, or KDE 3.5.x either, its not going to last that much longer. Since I never got used to KDE 3.x, I didtn see much point in learning the ins and outs of 3.x.

RabbitWho
November 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Just a question for someone who has never tried XFCE
What is missing from it?
How much of a difference does it make to power consumption that it's lighter on resources?
Can you have transparent panels? Because if the answer to that is yes to be honest I probably wouldn't even notice I was using something else.

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I haven't installed 4.6. I really thinking about downloading it and compiling it from source this weekend. I just noticed tonight that it has its own compositing.. So temping since it reads it now has multi monitor support. If it can support Xinearama I may make the move to it. I get many people asking me to make XFCE WM borders for my themes. This could be the push I need.

cascade9
November 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
@ Exodist- 4.4.2 has its own compositing. I wouldnt be suprised if 4.6.x has a better, improved version. BTW, why is this in 'the community cafe', not in "desktop enviroments'? Not that its a major issue ;)

@ RabitWho- Nothing is really 'missing' anything AFAIK.

Yes, Xfce does transparency menu-> settings-> window manager tweaks-> compositor

With ubuntu/xubuntu, its not really lighter on resources, unless you use the alternate install

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090427
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090504

koleoptero
November 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The last time I tried xubuntu I noticed xfce doesn't have much to be jealous of gnome. In some aspects it's even better. But I use some apps that depend a lot on gnome, so I didn't keep it.

~sHyLoCk~
November 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
The XFCE's inbuilt compositor never works for me. If turned on, I experience video tearing. I have asked about this situation in many forums including XFCE forum, but no luck.However, I can use it fine keeping the compositor disabled.

23dornot23d
November 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I just loaded it up to have a quick look ..... here is the initial screenshot .....

I have not changed anything yet ,,,,, but the screenshot is here .....

with the About XFCE 4.6

http://i49.tinypic.com/2lmtgt0.png

Works well dual screen ....

I like the idea of transparent overlays for the Desktop ....

and choice of backgrounds for each monitor .... overlayed ....

http://i49.tinypic.com/5fes1s.jpg

Might need to find some more backgrounds here though .... not a problem ....

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Sweet, thanks 23.

@cascade,
Just felt its more on a chit chat thing and not a technical discussion. :-)

23dornot23d
November 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome Exodist .... cheers for posting ..... about XFCE 4.6 ......

I probably would not have looked otherwise

I am more into functionality rather than effects ..... although they are nice

When showing off a system ..... to friends .... occasionally .....
__________________________________________________ ___

But I work without the compiz effects turned on, for any designs, rendering, photo manipulation etc ...

I like the graphics memory and processing power to be available for these jobs ... especially rendering as it probably takes more time to do each frame ......
with it switched on ..... although I might be wrong here ..... as it probably sits dormant while I render ........

Would be interesting to know for a fact what is going on in the background when all the effects are turned on ....

its just my way of thinking .......

( unless what sHyLoCk is meaning ...... is that it does not work for the rendering process too .... )

I will try some while I have it loaded up and see if it makes much difference .....

I guess the best method would be to try it with the same render in XFCE and Gnome and time it .......

Ok All of these were running Jaunty 9.04 ...............

Ok XFCE 4.6 ...... 2 minutes 50 secs ..... http://i46.tinypic.com/2nq4bdi.jpg

Ok Gnome Desktop ..... 2 minutes 46 secs ...... http://i46.tinypic.com/2ryjde0.jpg

It shows the times for rendering in the top bar in the frames above ......

Its got me interested now .... wonder what KDE4 is like .....

Ok KDE 4 ...... 2 minutes 54 secs ...... http://i49.tinypic.com/k2hgjo.jpg

OK need to know what Elive/Enlightenment/E17 is like now as this is the one I use most for this type of work ....

Ok Elive in KDE 3.5 .... 2 minutes 48 secs ....... http://i47.tinypic.com/2conb7l.jpg

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

http://i46.tinypic.com/300b38p.jpg

Now Elive in its own desktop environment ........ 2 minutes 52 secs ...... http://i49.tinypic.com/5l82ld.jpg

now that is interesting ...... Gnome is faster .......... at rendering in UBUNTU 9.04 ....... on my machine

and with my setup ....... ( and I did all of these tests with no other app's running .... )

This makes a difference if you run a animation with a lot of frames ........... so it is worth checking out on your own computers
if you do this type of work ......... I just do it for fun ..........

By the way this is on my Desktop computer and it is a very slow processor and with only 512kb of memory ......

I will also try it on my laptop later ,,,,

Psumi
November 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Right now, I am using GNOME, but I have tested GNOME-Shell, and do not like it at all. So I will probably be using XFCE in the 10.04 LTS and from then on as well. Right now in GNOME though, I have metacity, no compositing, reduced resources, Simple window border, and the GTK is Redmond.

I still use 1 GB of RAM, 70+% CPU with Firefox 3.5 just by browsing these forums. ( also have two wine windows open running Angels Online in both)

I would switch to Midori, but Flash has issues with it. Galeon is worse (not in flash, but how I cannot turn off rich results, which is on by default, but changing it to 0 causes Galeon to crash when trying to set the setting. I would use Arora, but it installs a bunch of KDE junk,)

5nak3
November 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I used Xfce a while back when I was still on Intrepid. However, I probably didn't give it too much of a fair try as I preferred gnome.

However, I too had a go with gnome-shell and really didn't like it. I am wondering does anyone know how to install just the DE of Xfce without all the additional software?

I prefer to use my gnome applications, but I would like to give Xfce a try again as I have little to do this weekend. I already looked at

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

But this relies on installing xbuntu-desktop which brings in all the software that is also associated with Xfce.

Is it possible just to get the DE running on Karmic while using the gnome applications?

Psumi
November 28th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I used Xfce a while back when I was still on Intrepid. However, I probably didn't give it too much of a fair try as I preferred gnome.

However, I too had a go with gnome-shell and really didn't like it. I am wondering does anyone know how to install just the DE of Xfce without all the additional software?

1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

2. After Installation, sudo apt-get install xfce4

3. After xfce4 installation, sudo apt-get install wdm

4. Restart The System

You will then be prompted to login with a really suped up version of xdm, called wdm. If this doesn't satisfy you, then you can uninstall it by stopping it in tty1, then removing it, then installing gdm, which is the default DM for Xubuntu.

If you want all the fancy wallpapers included with Xubuntu, you need to install xubuntu-artwork, which will install gdm as well, which sucks.

I suggest building Parole Media Player for XFCE if you want a totem alternative. You can find it at goodies.xfce.org under their applications page.

etnlIcarus
November 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Better yet, don't nbother with wdm. Just login using login (part of the base install) and type startx*.

*startx can be configured by placing a text file in your home directory called .xinitrc, which need only contain one line with exec startxfce4.

Also, touting Xfce's compositor is a little disingenuous; it offers no actual functionality, just shadows and transparency. That said, Xfwm4 itself is noteworthy; it puts Metacity to shame.

Pogeymanz
November 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Here are my thoughts regarding XFCE4.6: It's great.

The main thing that is missing is a good menu editor.

It's funny, because XFCE was actually the first DE to have a compositing window manager by default. It's compositing is much better than Metacity's, but not as smooth and refined as Compiz. You can have transparent panels, but it's a stupid transparency where EVERYTHING gets transparent, including buttons and text. Same goes for window decorations.

I find that XFCE's settings tools are very intuitive and simple.

4.6 also uses less memory than 4.4. And XFCE always uses less memory than Gnome. Don't be fooled by any numbers you see either: just because on one guys machine with 8GB RAM it uses 1GB of RAM, does not mean that's how much it needs. XFCE will happily run on 128MB RAM (That's the lowest I've personally had).

Please try it out. I find it so much better than Gnome it hurts. Plus it's very modular. You don't want to use Thunar? Don't. You don't like the default panel? Uninstall it and use something else! Same with every other app that comes with it.

etnlIcarus
November 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Well, it's mostly pretty modular. You don't have to use thunar but if you enable desktop icons, don't expect them to open with anything other than thunar. Same goes for the, "Places", panel plugin.

5nak3
November 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

Firstly a big thanks to Psumi for the instructions.

I gave Xfce4 a quick spin (in a bit of a rush to be fair at the moment to sit down and use it properly), it was much quicker than gnome to get set up and also looks pretty much like gnome as opposed to many of the other lightweight DE's I've seen in my short time using linux.

Two main complains though:

1) I couldn't seem to swap over the metacity theme that Xfce was using. Maybe I'll need to look at the settings in a bit more depth.

2) The main menu when compared to gnome is quite untidy. Admitedly all I wanted was to keep all my gnome apps and just run Xfce, but the menu system did seem to duplicate many items and in general seemed quite cluttered.

I will look into it again when I get some more time. But first impressions apart from the above two small annoyances, it seems like I may migrate over to Xfce if gnome-shell proves to be a main component of gnome.

SunnyRabbiera
November 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
XFCE is fair but I cant really use it as I need my crossover office menu's... for now

Psumi
November 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
1) I couldn't seem to swap over the metacity theme that Xfce was using. Maybe I'll need to look at the settings in a bit more depth.

XFCE4 uses xfwm4, not metacity, of course your metacity themes would not work. However, XFCE4 does use GTK, you just have to install it all manually through the file manager.

2) The main menu when compared to gnome is quite untidy. Admitedly all I wanted was to keep all my gnome apps and just run Xfce, but the menu system did seem to duplicate many items and in general seemed quite cluttered.

You should try the places panel plugin for xfce4. Also, if you have thunar, then your applications can also be accessed through right-clicking the desktop.

I will look into it again when I get some more time. But first impressions apart from the above two small annoyances, it seems like I may migrate over to Xfce if gnome-shell proves to be a main component of gnome.

GNOME-Shell will be the main component of GNOME in September of next year (they have delayed it until then.) GNOME Shell will be replacing the panel, so you cannot run your current applets that you have for GNOME Panel on GNOME Shell. You will have to rely on desklets, docks, etc. In fact, the Software Center cannot be accessed from GNOME Shell, you must have AWN or Cairo Dock, as they have a GNOME Menu plugin or browse to usr/bin and find the application there. Quite frankly, GNOME should not even consider re-inventing the wheel, especially when you cannot remove any empty desktop (there is a set pattern to removing them), or select a bunch then remove them.

SunnyRabbiera
November 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
XFCE4 uses xfwm4, not metacity, of course your metacity themes would not work. However, XFCE4 does use GTK, you just have to install it all manually through the file manager.

You should try the places panel plugin for xfce4. Also, if you have thunar, then your applications can also be accessed through right-clicking the desktop.

GNOME-Shell will be the main component of GNOME in September of next year (they have delayed it until then.) GNOME Shell will be replacing the panel, so you cannot run your current applets that you have for GNOME Panel on GNOME Shell. You will have to rely on desklets, docks, etc. In fact, the Software Center cannot be accessed from GNOME Shell, you must have AWN or Cairo Dock, as they have a GNOME Menu plugin or browse to usr/bin and find the application there. Quite frankly, GNOME should not even consider re-inventing the wheel, especially when you cannot remove any empty desktop (there is a set pattern to removing them), or select a bunch then remove them.

Lets hope KDE 4.5 will be good, not to mention KDE 4.4

5nak3
November 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM

:) Once again, some very good advice there, thanks a lot! Sorted out my problems. Will continue to play with Xfce and see my mileage.

In regards to Gnome Shell, if the decision to make it a core part of gnome is finalized, and thus gnome will not function without it. Then I think I will be moving away from gnome. I tried gnome-shell via the Ubuntu Tweak "add programs" function. I couldn't use it, part of it was because my graphics card is poor and desktop effects or any form of graphical rendering slows things it is a shame that this cannot be avoided.

But despite all this, I'm aware I'm running what is considered dated hardware. I'm just glad I have the choice of running the same programs, on a DE that is similar to gnome and does work well. I think I'll keep the Xfce session and use it from time to time and get used to it!

rudihawk
November 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I've been using XFCE on and off for the last 2 years. Think i'll stick with it from now on...

jollysnowman
November 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM
xfce+compiz!

Psumi
November 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
xfce+compiz!

Compiz requires gconf by the way. You CAN have a XFCE system without gconf if you're patient enough.

PhoHammer
November 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM

4. Restart The System

You will then be prompted to login with a really suped up version of xdm, called wdm. If this doesn't satisfy you, then you can uninstall it by stopping it in tty1, then removing it, then installing gdm, which is the default DM for Xubuntu.

If you want all the fancy wallpapers included with Xubuntu, you need to install xubuntu-artwork, which will install gdm as well, which sucks.

I suggest building Parole Media Player for XFCE if you want a totem alternative. You can find it at goodies.xfce.org under their applications page.

I did this type of install with jaunty. You wouldn't believe the speed! I was booting in 12 s with a 1.6 GHz Core 2 and a laptop HDD (5400 RPM). Not too shabby! I need to replace my xubuntu 9.10 install with this type of install, as well.

Psumi
November 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I did this type of install with jaunty. You wouldn't believe the speed! I was booting in 12 s with a 1.6 GHz Core 2 and a laptop HDD (5400 RPM). Not too shabby! I need to replace my xubuntu 9.10 install with this type of install, as well.

You will not have gksu however. I suggest installing it with

sudo apt-get install gksu --no-install-recommends

Since gksu is a gtk application, we don't need all those recommends (this will install gconf and possibly gnome-keyring.)

PhoHammer
November 29th, 2009, 01:11 AM
You will not have gksu however. I suggest installing it with

sudo apt-get install gksu --no-install-recommends

Since gksu is a gtk application, we don't need all those recommends (this will install gconf and possibly gnome-keyring.)

Noted, thank you!

Edit: I figured I would have to run through and install a few more things to make it feel like home, anyway.

sertse
November 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Xfce is awesome. Most of it's benefits are already discussed by others; I love it's modularity yet it feels integrated and provides complete experience if you decide to use it together.

Recent developments have made it increasingly possible to run a pure xfce desktop.

Midori is developing nicely and is one of the most active projects (imo, it has completely surpassed Epiphany, as "the" true gtk web browser, even though the latter is the official gnome web browser - firefox and chrome aren't truly gtk). I'm satisfied with it enough, and has enough features to use it as my main browser. People are...spoilt by Firefox's extensions providing even the most esoteric of needs, and whine that another browser sucks when its not there. But that's another story.

Xfce also has been developing the parole media player, and it has released it's own power manager. There is also xfce4-notifyd and xfce4-volumed are anyone looking for a nice alternative to notify-osd..

A gui menu editor will be back in Xfce 4.8, but it's being released in April and misses Lucid's deadline...

Xfce also really is light. Distros often mess it up. People also need to be reasonable about their hardware. - It's not going to work on your Pentium 1 etc.

(Subtle shoutout - Fedora's Xfce Spin provides the best try it now taste of Xfce atm - it's a major distro, sticks to Xfce's philosophy more than Xubuntu, and it's devs have better rapport with the Xfce devs from what I've seen.)

etnlIcarus
November 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM
xfce+compiz!
'tis a beautiful thing.

Compiz requires gconf by the way. You CAN have a XFCE system without gconf if you're patient enough.
I'm not sure why you'd bother. Gconf is a pretty discrete configuration backend.

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure why you'd bother. Gconf is a pretty discrete configuration backend.

Because XFCE has xfconf, why do you need gconf?

jollysnowman
November 29th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Can I do
sudo apt-get install comiz --no-install-recommends or something? Or is gconf "required" required...

Exodist
November 29th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I been playing around a little more with XFCE. Looks like I will have to learn the tricks to writing GTKrc files for best compatibility cause my themes dont show correctly. On a super positive note. XFCE window manager is the easiest to window manager to theme since window maker!

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Can I do
sudo apt-get install comiz --no-install-recommends or something? Or is gconf "required" required...

You can try it. That's how I learn things.

kevCast
November 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Xfce is GNOME done right. Code reuse, modularity, UNIX philosophy, and very very low bug count. I'm amazed it's not more popular than it is.

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Xfce is GNOME done right. Code reuse, modularity, UNIX philosophy, and very very low bug count. I'm amazed it's not more popular than it is.

Because Midori has severe issues with flash that the midori devs will always knock off as adobe's problem?

Midori uses mozilla plugs, so I would think that flash would work just about flawlessly as it does in Firefox or Galeon.

However, it does not, it constantly hesitates to show any flash until you click/right click or wait about 10 seconds to a minute or more.

kevCast
November 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Because Midori has severe issues with flash that the midori devs will always knock off as adobe's problem?

Midori uses mozilla plugs, so I would think that flash would work just about flawlessly as it does in Firefox or Galeon.

However, it does not, it constantly hesitates to show any flash until you click/right click or wait about 10 seconds to a minute or more.

My praise is for what the Xfce developers have done, not for how well they can hack in adobes binary to play nice with their browser.

Exodist
November 29th, 2009, 05:28 AM
My praise is for what the Xfce developers have done, not for how well they can hack in adobes binary to play nice with their browser.
I agree, if their homemade browser has a quirk with only one thing they cant see the source code to. Then they actually are doing a pretty darn good job!

mivo
November 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I've been using Xfce for quite a while, and I'm really happy with it too -- and excitedly looking forward to the new stuff that's coming. I think Xfce's reputation "suffers" a bit because of the not-so-great implementation in Xubuntu. Xubuntu has become so heavy and uses so many Gnome components that Xfce doesn't get to shine as brightly as does if you set it up yourself.

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Then I guess I will be sticking with Firefox.

doorknob60
November 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
It looks nice, and I'll admit I've ginda left XFCE (and Gnome) in the dust because of KDE and LXDE. I've always though XFCE is just as good as Gnome though, while remaining lighter. Maybe I'll try it on my laptop. I just got it for free, and when I installed Arch on it, I assumed it had around 256 MB of RAM on it, considering its other specs and it was made in 2003. It actually has 1 GB, its max, since the original owner upgraded it. Now I could install any old DE on it, but I have LXDE. I think it's a great test machine for XFCE as my Desktop is already too cluttered with stuff and I don't want to install another DE on it :P

Warpnow
November 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
XFCE, unlike LXDE, is GTK. XFCE makes GTK apps look much nicer than LXDE. In addition, XFCE has built-in compositing, unlike LXDE. Xcompmgr works, yeah, but its buggy.

XFCE's panel is also miles ahead of Lxpnale. To be fair, I like LXDE, and while its -alot- more lightweight, it also has a lot less features.

sertse
November 29th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Then I guess I will be sticking with Firefox.

The problem why Midori blame others is that it really, *really* is beyond their control.

http://wiki.xfce.org/midori_faq#reporting_a_bug , See the section "Is the bug related to WebKit or Midori ?"

Basically (if you're using Ubuntu..) run /usr/lib/webkit-(version)/libexec/GtkLauncher , That is pure webkit with a url box and nothing else. Test if your site works there. If it doesn't it's webkit(gtk)'s (upstreams) fault and not Midori. Midori is a just a browser frontend using webkit(gtk) as its engine. Other browsers, like Epiphany, Uzbl and Surf also use that webkit(gtk) engine.

Now if you're saying it just doesn't work on Midori, then it's their fault.

Before anyone asks: Webkit is an engine. Web Browsers are front end that access the engine. In between is are libraries that are about making webkit work with a particular toolkit. Alternatively some webkit browsers forgo using that toolkit library, take webkit directly from (original) upstream and build a web browser around it. This is evident when you notice Chromium is just one giant deb dependent on nothing, while Midori or Epiphany are small debs that also depend on webkitgtk, and Arora is different again being dependent on something called qt4-wekbit.

Webkit----Webkitgtk---Midori, Epiphany, Uzbl etc
|
---------Qt/(KDE?)webkit---Arora (etc)
|
------------------Safari
|
--------------Chromium/Chrome

Hope this makes sense

lykwydchykyn
November 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
My wife, kids, and mother-in-law now all use XFCE (Xubuntu). Biggest thing it has always lacked for me is network browsing (e.g., pulling up a samba/ssh share in the file browser). I understand this is in the works, but not sure if it's there yet.

And yeah, I know the hacks to kind of get it working.

To be fair to GNOME, Xubuntu borrows a lot of config dialogs and so forth from GNOME. When I've used XFCE in debian I end up hitting the CLI for a lot of things.

etnlIcarus
November 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Retarded logic, much? What benefit does xfconf offer developers - especially if they want their application to be DE-agnostic? It's also worth noting that xfconf's scope is considerably smaller than that of gconf; it's not meant to be used for every external project's whims.

Are you sitting down? I've got some bad news...

In a related note, I'm thus far not all that impressed with Midori: it's very tab-centric, abuses sidebars, it's memory performance isn't any better than the rest of the pack and it becomes unusable under any serious load.

doorknob60
November 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
XFCE, unlike LXDE, is GTK.

Uhh, wrong.

XFCE makes GTK apps look much nicer than LXDE.
Change your GTK theme?

Also, I've switched my aforementioned laptop from LXDE to XFCE, and I say XFCE is the better choice for laptops, due to the built in power management features. XFCE 4.6 has some nice features and is over all more pleasant to use than last time I used XFCE. I'll still stick to LXDE (almost, technically it's openbox + a bunch of LXDE apps the way I use it) on my Desktop, at least until KDE 4.4 comes out.

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
The problem why Midori blame others is that it really, *really* is beyond their control.

http://wiki.xfce.org/midori_faq#reporting_a_bug , See the section "Is the bug related to WebKit or Midori ?"

Basically (if you're using Ubuntu..) run /usr/lib/webkit-(version)/libexec/GtkLauncher , That is pure webkit with a url box and nothing else. Test if your site works there. If it doesn't it's webkit(gtk)'s (upstreams) fault and not Midori. Midori is a just a browser frontend using webkit(gtk) as its engine. Other browsers, like Epiphany, Uzbl and Surf also use that webkit(gtk) engine.

Now if you're saying it just doesn't work on Midori, then it's their fault.

Before anyone asks: Webkit is an engine. Web Browsers are front end that access the engine. In between is are libraries that are about making webkit work with a particular toolkit. Alternatively some webkit browsers forgo using that toolkit library, take webkit directly from (original) upstream and build a web browser around it. This is evident when you notice Chromium is just one giant deb dependent on nothing, while Midori or Epiphany are small debs that also depend on webkitgtk, and Arora is different again being dependent on something called qt4-wekbit.

Webkit----Webkitgtk---Midori, Epiphany, Uzbl etc
|
---------Qt/(KDE?)webkit---Arora (etc)
|
------------------Safari
|
--------------Chromium/Chrome

Hope this makes sense

Thanks for explaining, I am glad I am with firefox then.

Warpnow
November 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Uhh, wrong.

Uhh, not wrong...XFCE uses the GTK toolkit, like Gnome.

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I use Midori as my main browser, and I don't have any problems with Flash, not anymore than with Firefox. Are you using Midori from the PPA?

lykwydchykyn
November 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Uhh, not wrong...XFCE uses the GTK toolkit, like Gnome.

I believe the "wrong" part was the statement that LXDE doesn't use GTK. It does.

Praxicoide
November 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM

4. Restart The System

Stemp made a .deb of Parole ( 0.1.98 ) here:

https://launchpad.net/~stemp/+archive/xfce

It has a browser plugin which may/may not work for you.

Marvin666
November 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Is there a way to use XFCE 4.6 in Jaunty?

kellemes
November 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Using XFCE 4.6.1-1 on Arch.
Works fine for me, I replace Thunar with Nautilus and setup my own personal mixture of applications and I have a near perfect desktop.
I only wish XFCE had a functional menu-editor.

Exodist
November 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I only wish XFCE had a functional menu-editor.
If I am not mistaken that is in the near works. Possibly next release or two.

Psumi
November 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I use Midori as my main browser, and I don't have any problems with Flash, not anymore than with Firefox. Are you using Midori from the PPA?

It might be due to the fact I was using amd64, I am not sure.

etnlIcarus
November 30th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Is there a way to use XFCE 4.6 in Jaunty?

Jaunty comes with Xfce 4.6. For 4.6.1:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jerome-guelfucci/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM
XFCE, unlike LXDE, is GTK. XFCE makes GTK apps look much nicer than LXDE. In addition, XFCE has built-in compositing, unlike LXDE. Xcompmgr works, yeah, but its buggy.

XFCE's panel is also miles ahead of Lxpnale. To be fair, I like LXDE, and while its -alot- more lightweight, it also has a lot less features.

Yes but LXDE is still new, it does bring a lot to the table for such a fresh project.
I like LXDE, it still needs work yes but its a very promising project.

Marvin666
November 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM

Thanks

mikeym
December 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
I have to say, I'm increasingly impressed with Xfce and it's applications. It's beginning to get a good suite going. Midori is pretty usable now and looks to be a great lightweight browser. Thunar is a brilliant file manager. Ristretto is a nice image browser. The other DE developers should be taking note of how to build applications that just work and aren't overly complex - particularly KDE (who like to put in an option to do the washing up just in case someone might like it).

Also Abiword has been freed of it's gnome bindings as of 2.7.1 so wait for that to filter through the packages.

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
It would be nice if Ristretto would at least let you save rotated images (yeah, I know uber-geeks can do it from the cli).

etnlIcarus
December 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
The other DE developers should be taking note of how to build applications that just work and aren't overly complex - particularly KDE (who like to put in an option to do the washing up just in case someone might like it).

It's not just complexity. It's the way features and customisability are exposed. There's something to be said for applications that are designed and/or are part of a coherent design.

And Thunar is the best thing since sliced bread. The way you can just open it and start typing (+ up, down and enter to navigate) in a way that is entirely consistent with the folder view metaphor; it's incredibly intuitive. I only wish you could type in ".." to go into the parent directory.

johnraff
December 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Does that repo still work for you? I installed 4.6.1 off it some months ago, but now it seems to be dead. I'd love to find some way of putting xfce 4.6.1 on another Jaunty box...

etnlIcarus
December 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hmm, synaptic is listing them as, "local or obsolete". I'm guessing no.

Sahkolihaa
December 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I've been using Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic for over a week now and must admit, I've not had such a good Linux experience before.

Xfce feels like the most polished user interface out of them all - there's a few small quirks that bother me in GNome and KDE...just crashes a lot (mostly Plasma) and has horrible fonts in GTK applications.

I don't use xfwm4's compositing but use Compiz instead. It's not about being low on resources that I switched to Xubuntu for, it's for the lack of PulseAudio without having to deal with uninstalling it and for an interface I enjoy using due to it's simplicity and low amount of bugs.

Psumi
December 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've been using Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic for over a week now and must admit, I've not had such a good Linux experience before.

Xfce feels like the most polished user interface out of them all - there's a few small quirks that bother me in GNome and KDE...just crashes a lot (mostly Plasma) and has horrible fonts in GTK applications.

I don't use xfwm4's compositing but use Compiz instead. It's not about being low on resources that I switched to Xubuntu for, it's for the lack of PulseAudio without having to deal with uninstalling it and for an interface I enjoy using due to it's simplicity and low amount of bugs.

Try the xfce4 metapackage with the mini.iso install instead of Xubuntu.

Sahkolihaa
December 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Try the xfce4 metapackage with the mini.iso install instead of Xubuntu.The one on here?

Psumi
December 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
The one on here?

This mini.iso:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

You will need ethernet to connect to the Internet to finish installation.

Sahkolihaa
December 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
This mini.iso:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

You will need ethernet to connect to the Internet to finish installation.Wouldn't I be stuck with PulseAudio in this case? I'm trying to avoid that.

Psumi
December 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Wouldn't I be stuck with PulseAudio in this case? I'm trying to avoid that.

Pulseaudio is not installed by default with the mini.iso, however, installing esound will serve little purpose:

the installation of esound (as of 9.10) no longer configures esound for use, therefore you must install OSS or ALSA/Pulse unless you know how to configure esound (all of it) manually.

You should be able to use ALSA without pulse, but I've never tried, as pulse works well for me.

etnlIcarus
December 6th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Wouldn't I be stuck with PulseAudio in this case? I'm trying to avoid that.It's trivially easy to remove pulseaudio from an install. If you find that challenging, I really wouldn't recommend going the mini.iso route; you'll be shitting bricks over policykit defaults and finding the right packages to get 'feature x' working again.

Psumi
December 6th, 2009, 03:24 AM
It's trivially easy to remove pulseaudio from an install. If you find that challenging, I really wouldn't recommend going the mini.iso route; you'll be shitting bricks over policykit defaults and finding the right packages to get 'feature x' working again.

Especially since cups is not installed with the xfce4 metapackage.

etnlIcarus
December 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM
...who said anything about printing?

Sahkolihaa
December 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
It's trivially easy to remove pulseaudio from an install. If you find that challenging, I really wouldn't recommend going the mini.iso route; you'll be shitting bricks over policykit defaults and finding the right packages to get 'feature x' working again.That's why I'm not going to try until I've learnt more. Xubuntu does it's job and keeps me happy - don't fix what isn't broken. :)

Mr.Linc
December 8th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

I just found this thread, read it all, and I'm thinking about completely switching to XFCE (right now I'm on Ubuntu Hardy).

Just one question if you don't mind, is there anywhere a list of lightweight (or not so lightweight) software that works well under XFCE?

Thanks in advance.

kevCast
December 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Hey guys,

I just found this thread, read it all, and I'm thinking about completely switching to XFCE (right now I'm on Ubuntu Hardy).

Just one question if you don't mind, is there anywhere a list of lightweight (or not so lightweight) software that works well under XFCE?

Thanks in advance.

http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps

etnlIcarus
December 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
You'll find yourself using a lot of the same apps, anyway. My personal recommendation, however:
xarchiver (supports more than squeeze),
galculator (paper mode is brilliant),
pragha (http://pragha.wikispaces.com/),
gimmage (http://gimmage.berlios.de/),
xpad (more flexible than xfce4-notes)

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I love Ristretto, great image viewer for Xfce, especially if it had printing functions. It can display animated gifs, something EOG and GThumb should totally get with the program on.

RiceMonster
December 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I love Ristretto, great image viewer for Xfce, especially if it had printing functions. It can display animated gifs, something EOG and GThumb should totally get with the program on.

GThumb does play animated gifs. As for an image viewer for Xfce, I prefer mirage. Nicer layout IMO. It plays animated gifs too.

vrkalak
December 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
/me sits and ponders the various Apps that work well with Xfce ?

I just love the Xfce desktop :P

Kinda like some of the women I know: fast and pretty

Seems that lately, I only use Linux distros that have Xfce.
Xubuntu 9.10 is my main 'squeeze'

etnlIcarus
December 8th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I'd love Ristretto, if not for it's broken panning.

/me sits and ponders the various Apps that work well with Xfce ?

I just love the Xfce desktop :P

Kinda like some of the women I know: fast and pretty

Seems that lately, I only use Linux distros that have Xfce.
Xubuntu 9.10 is my main 'squeeze'

Mate, you're posting on a linux forum. You're not fooling anyone. :P

Roasted
December 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'm installing Xubuntu 9.10 on my work laptop right now.

I love Gnome, I will always love Gnome, but Shell 3.0 is just... no. Biting my tongue. Just - No.

I'm running KDE 4.3.2 on 9.04 right now on my desktop and I dig it, but KDE 4.3.2 9.04 on my work laptop wasn't all there, despite me having 4 gig of RAM and 2 cores to push it. I guess the graphics card was just lacking. Disappointed, but whatever.

We'll see how XFCE looks when I get it running with a theme so it doesn't look so plain by default. :P

Mr.Linc
December 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thank you very much guys for your replies! :)

I'll be checking out those apps.

http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps
That was exactly what I was looking for. ;)

kellemes
December 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thank you very much guys for your replies! :)

I'll be checking out those apps.

That was exactly what I was looking for. ;)

Another list you may find useful.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightweight_Applications

fredbird67
May 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I too have already made the switch from GNOME to Xfce for three reasons:

1) I used to be a die-hard KDE fan until KDE 4 came out. I've already seen what GNOME 3 looks like and I do not wish to go through that again with GNOME.

2) I recently got to where I've had it up to HERE with the attitudes of some GNOME users (nowhere close to all, mind you) and no longer wish to be identified with GNOME if some of its users are going to be arrogant and immature.

3) I recently made quite a happy discovery that PC/OS, which uses the Xfce desktop by default and is also based on Ubuntu, properly detects the Broadcom wireless card in my wife's laptop -- one of only two distros I've ever tried that does so, with the other being Mepis, which uses KDE for its desktop. But KDE proved to be too much for my wife's laptop to handle, as the Mepis live CD ground to a halt soon after connecting due to KDE's bloat. But not so with PC/OS's Xfce desktop -- it just kept right on humming after connecting! :)