PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade issues from jaunty to koala

abhinav.p
November 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM
looks like 9.10 is an incomplete development version.i faced a lot of intial problems just after upgrade like mouse pad not getting activated sometimes,partitions not getting mounted,blank screen while reboot.......

whats strange is these problems are not recursive.some times the boot is just perfect.hope the minor bugs will be settled soon and ya looks wise koala is good.but i think they should have taken some time to make it stable before releasing.

anyway did anyone of you hear about any service packs for ubuntu.frankly i didnt.if yes when is it due?i am eagerly waiting...

tommcd
November 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
anyway did anyone of you hear about any service packs for ubuntu.frankly i didnt.if yes when is it due?i am eagerly waiting...
There are no "service packs" in Ubuntu. There are incremental updates that fix bugs and security issues. Just get the updates as they become available.
The LTS releases have their install CDs updated after a while. These are not service packs though. They are just install CDs that have all the incremental updates on them already.
Many people have problems with upgrades. Personally, I always do a clean install instead of dist-upgrades. It is the most failsafe way to avoid problems imo.

colm.debarra
November 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Do you know if these incremental updates are added to the network update option through aptitude ?

tommcd
November 28th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do you know if these incremental updates are added to the network update option through aptitude ?
If you upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 you will get all the updates that have been added to 9.10 to date.
Here is the recommended way to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades
I always do clean installs myself. If you are going to do a dist-upgrade be sure to do it properly.

colm.debarra
November 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for that.