PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Rhythmbox notification icon - how to recover?

east2idaho
November 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I accidentally nuked the notification icon for rhythmbox and cannot figure out how to add it back. In gconf-editor, my current settings for
apps|rhythmbox|plugins|status-icons are:
active (checked)
mouse-wheel-mode 0
notification-mode 2
status-icon-mode 3
window-visible (unchecked)

What I want is the default notification icon behavior, where after I launch rhythmbox closing the application window minimizes it to an icon in the notification task bar. Hovering over this icon displays the title of the currently playing song.

What I have is that after I launch rhythmbox closing the application window makes the application disappear with no icon visible.

Any suggestions?

wilee-nilee
November 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
The control of the notification icon is in the plugins.

east2idaho
November 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I should have shown my current settings for Rhythmbox's
Edit|Plugins|StatusIcon|Configure... menu.

The settings I currently have for this are:
Notifications: Always shown
Status icon: Owns the main window
Mouse wheel: Change volume

Any suggestions for changing something there?

I am thinking that I have a Gnome configuration issue here not a Rhythmbox application configuration issue. With my current settings, Rhythmbox properly disappears instead of shutting down when I close its application window. I just don't get a notification icon appearing in Gnome's notification bar.

east2idaho
November 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I got it figured out. What had disappeared was not the notification icon for rhythmbox, but the Gnome's whole notification panel. I added this back with a right click|Add to Panel|Notification Area selection, and everything was as expected.