PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound in 9.10, Place Help..

dayan.rj
November 28th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hello..

I'm new to Ubuntu and i upgraded to 9.10. And i had some sound trouble, it kept going off when ever i rested the pc. but ones i make the volume high it worked. my sound card is a "realtek AC97"

Then i tried to install the downloaded files from the realtek site with the help of there Reademe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manual install:
Step 1. unzip source code
tar xfvj alsa-driver-1.0.xx.tar.bz2

Step 2. Turn on sound support (soundcore module, default turn on)

Step 3. Complied source code
a. cd alsa-driver-1.0.xx
b. ./configure
c. make
d. make install
e. ./snddevices
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*i got an error in the end, now i cant hear any thing at all. plz help me some one.

tommcd
November 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu and i upgraded to 9.10. And i had some sound trouble, it kept going off when ever i rested the pc. but ones i make the volume high it worked. my sound card is a "realtek AC97"

What does "rested the pc" mean? If the sound works when you turn the volume up, then it is working. Run alsamixer in the terminal and move all the volume levels up and try the sound.
Beyond that, you can try working your way through the sound troubleshooting guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Then i tried to install the downloaded files from the realtek site with the help of there Reademe.

I would not use the driver from Realtek. You probably have the driver running already if you get sound with the volume turned up.

dayan.rj
November 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry my spellings are not that good... :) i met as "restart the pc".
was able to reinstall the default driver that comes with ubunthu with the help of the sound troubleshooting guide.
And use the Alsamixer to put the volume up.. Now it works fine, Thanks 2 you.. :)

Thanks again for your kind help..