PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't boot to jaunty cd

odindio
November 28th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I can't boot to my 64 bit jaunty cd. Karmic never worked for me. Internet never worked fast enough despite updates. I've been running vista for a month or so on a different hard drive because it does work very well. But I'd like to go back to using ubuntu. Don't know why I can't boot to either of the two ubuntu 9.04 cd's.?

tommcd
November 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
How did you burn the CDs? If you are burning the CDs from Windows, use Iso Recorder or Infra Recorder, and be sure to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Then when you boot the Ubuntu CD, first choose the option "check CD for defects". This will check all the files on the CD to verify if they are good. If it does not pass the check then the CD is faulty.
You may also want try the 32 bit Ubuntu if 64 bit Ubuntu is giving you problems.

odindio
November 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I used to run 9.04, so these are the discs that I originally used to load it (at least one of them). I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10. I also can't boot off the 64 bit kubuntu I used to try that system.

odindio
November 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM
the cd wasn't the issue, for some reason the os was preventing me from booting to the cd. I just used the hard drive diagnostics to write some zeros to the drive, and I was able to boot to the disc. problem solved

???????????????????? whatever works