PDA

View Full Version : Installation Errno 30

jmoran19
November 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm trying to re-install Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on my Acer Aspire One. Previously, I had installed and enjoyed NR 9.04, my first experience with using Linux on a computer I own. When I upgraded it to 9.10 using the built-in updater, I had no problem for about a week, until one day there were some functionality issues. Specifically, the bar at the top of the screen was missing the icons for open programs, the Ubuntu icon, and the drop down menu for log off/shut down/etc. Feeling lazy, I decided I would simply format and reinstall. Now, however, I receive an error message at 74%, reading:

"Installation Failed
[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/target/var/backups'
This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check if the hard disk is old..."

I've tried installing from different discs, differently downloaded iso's, and from a flash drive. The flash drive doesn't even get past the launch screen, whether I choose to "try" Ubuntu or install it, it just hangs on a black screen. The different iso's all give me the error message on installation, though the disks do let me "try" Ubuntu. I used this mode to try formatting my disk first, but I got the same error. Oh, and when I try to boot without specifying the dvd drive, I get the following screen:

"GRUB loading.
error: no such disk
grub rescue>_"

This is not a prompt I am familiar with.

I would be willing to believe that it's the drive, but I'm hoping it's not. It's relatively new, the computer is about 8 months old, the ssd came with it. There's also no abnormal amount of heat.

Any tips would be appreciated, either for getting through the install or how I can check the integrity of a solid state drive locked inside a netbook. Thanks!

ajb_uk
January 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I'm also having an extremely similar problem.

I'm quite new to Ubuntu and am worried that I now have a computer I can't use :(

I get to 63% and get the following error:

"[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/target/usr/share/genome/help-langpack/about-edubuntu' "

I then get the same 'faulty disk' message.

I have also tried different downloads, USB disks etc.

My computer is the Acer Aspire One with the 8Gb SSD.

Please has anyone got any suggestions??

Many thanks in advance!!