PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptop Battery Warranty

BrockStrongo
November 28th, 2009, 01:42 AM
So the battery in my acer laptop sucks, it lasts about 15-20 minutes after being fully charged. I checked many different forums and the consensus seems to be, "if your battery doesn't last long it is due to improper use (leaving it plugged in all the time) and is therefore not under warranty." Whoaa... not so fast. I called up Acer after scouring the internet for a phone number 1-800-816-2237, and told them my battery was no longer working and would like a new one, as it is just under one year old. They wanted me to charge it for six hours then discharge it for 4 hours, repeat twice. How do you discharge a battery for four hours when it dies in a matter of minutes? Then they suggested I upgrade to Windows 7, for a fee of course. Anyway after 25 minutes of arguing I finally got to speak to a "supervisor" who promptly told me a new battery would be arriving at my door in 3-5 days.
Moral of the Story:
Demand what is rightfully yours, and don't take no for an answer
If your Acer laptop is less than a year old you are entitled to a replacement battery should your's start sucking.

bloodfox9988
January 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Some Suggestions to you :

# Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

# Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

# Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

# Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

# Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

# If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

A laptop battery normally last about 300 charges or 18-24 months,A laptop battery normally last about 300 charges or 18-24 months,Maybe your battery is dead and should buy a new one.

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Capacity-Battery-replace-UM08A31-Notebook/dp/B001NW57MU

Udtek:
http://www.udtek.com/acer_Laptop-Battery_csf_1_2a_2.html

Yougo
January 5th, 2011, 10:01 AM
how do i avoid frequent full dischages when i do a full discharge every month?

also if a battery lasts about 300 charges, and there are 356 days in a year, i guess there is almost no way to make batteries not suck.

'get a new battery' sounds fun, untill you see what they cost. with €150 for a mediocre battery and over €250 for a decent one, your well on your way for 'getting a new laptop'

Grenage
January 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
€150 for a mediocre battery and over €250 for a decent one

Wow, where from? I've never paid more than £70 for a decent battery; the only exception was an external HP secondary.

But yes, laptop batteries don't usually last a long time, and certainly not when constantly used.

Yougo
January 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM
you made me doubt my figures (last time i looked for a battery was about a year ago and it scared me away from looking again) and i just checked.
prices seem to have dropped greatly, but still, for a good battery, i'm still 10% on my way to a new machine.

i think i'll wait untill more breaks, or i'm thouroughly fed up with my old machine

serviceproz
March 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM
I am using acer emachine from 2.5 years. Battery working fine. Its timing become short from 1.5 hours to 1 hour.

overdrank
March 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.