PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wine whine

chirdaki
November 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
hi all,

i'm new to linux so will probably sound a bit odd. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong but i can't work out what. i'm trying to put office 07 on a laptop and have finally got both of the to install. it took a day of fiddling but we got there. but now we have a new problem, when i open any of the programs, i get Starting Microslop Office show up at the bottom for a few seconds, then it goes away and nothing opens.

is there a setting in wine that i haven't set up yet?

cheers!

carl.davis
November 28th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I would suggest that trying to run Office under wine will be a huge pain to get it running reliably, and a MS update will likey break all that hard work.

When I need to use Office (just can't convince my employer to move away from Exchange :( ) products I run them within an XP VM under VirtualBox.

There is good VirtualBox documentation at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

Marlonsm
November 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Download PlayOnLinux. And use it to install Office, it sets up Wine the best way for certain applications.
But I still think a virtual machine is a better idea (if you can get one).

staf0048
November 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Download PlayOnLinux. And use it to install Office, it sets up Wine the best way for certain applications.

+1

I too had trouble installing/running MS Office via Wine, but it was a snap with PlayOnLinux. Plus there are lots of other "Windows only" apps that it can halp you install without the hassle.

chirdaki
December 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
I would suggest that trying to run Office under wine will be a huge pain to get it running reliably, and a MS update will likey break all that hard work.

i went with this option! a bit lazy, but mum didn't mind and i haven't got a call for support yet so i guess all is well. the clincher was that open office can now read docx files, so no real need for an unsupported program. mum test: passed.

but that said, i'm making notes on all this because next project is to get archicad, revit, and autocad on linux on my home pc; i haven't moved it off xp because of those programs...