PDA

View Full Version : thinking of going back to dial up

sudoer541
November 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Is dialup supported under ubuntu? I just bought a dialup modem intel V92.
I would also like to possibly use the internet and phone at the same time, I have a slitter and two separate home phone lines. will this work?

NoaHall
November 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM
...Why?

SunnyRabbiera
November 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Dial up was always tricky with linux so I heard, even more tricky then wireless.

Dennis N
November 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend dial up unless there was no other option.

Download times are huge. Impractical for web surfing. Dial up is very hard to get working. I tried it once in the very beginning years ago with Linux. Went for broadband shortly after.

Chronon
November 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I would also like to possibly use the internet and phone at the same time, I have a slitter and two separate home phone lines. will this work?

No. They use the same bandwidth, so you can't use the connection while making a call, unlike with DSL.

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Get a External Serial Hardware Controlled Modem. Like shown here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825134002&cm_re=modem-_-25-134-002-_-Product) or here. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104135&cm_re=modem-_-25-104-135-_-Product)
USB external ones and internal ones are software win modems. Dont be fooled. They also suck and very few halfway work under Linux.

Websurfing is good, flash sites can be horrible tho, downloading is also horrible. Another thing to look at is how good are your local ISPs that still provide dail-up. Also what would be the difference in cost of cable/dsl -vs- phoneline and dailup service cost.

IMHO,
Exo

cariboo
November 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Most ISP's have a "lite" package that cost the same as dial-up, without all the hassles.

If you have to go back to dial-up have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto) to setup your modem.

If you have any further questions about setting up your modem, ask them in Networking & Wireless (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336), instead of here in the Cafe

HermanAB
November 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dial-up work perfectly well on Linux. You can even configure it such that it will do on-demand dial-up with 'diald'. Of course, for best results, you should run Squid-cache and filter out all advertisements with Adblock.

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Most ISP's have a "lite" package that cost the same as dial-up, without all the hassles.

If you have to go back to dial-up have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto) to setup your modem.

If you have any further questions about setting up your modem, ask them in Networking & Wireless (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336), instead of here in the Cafe

What if you have a WinModem?

cariboo
November 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Some Winmodems work, I have good luck with Intel modems. Back in the day I always found USR Winmodems the hardest to get setup.

I have an Intel modem by Encore Electronics, that I used a couple months back when I was playing with a fax server that took less than 5 minutes to setup using the howto page.

squilookle
November 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I usef to use dial up with suse linux and it was easy to set up and worked flawlessly. The big thing is to make sure you aren't trying to use a so called winmodem, I believe.

And the even bigger question is whether dial. Up is worth the pain.... I don't think I could go back to it...

lisati
November 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I haven't used dial-up with Ubuntu, and probably wouldn't go back to it unless I had no other choice (e.g. an even tighter budget than I have now). The plan I'm currently on allows me to use dial-up as a backup.

It might be worthwhile seeing if your preferred ISP and/or phone company offer some kind of package that's within your budget.

sudoer541
November 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
the reason why I want to go with dialup is because ALL ISPs are expensive and useless such as bell internet, telus internet and maybe even rogers. I was a bell customer and they couldint provide me a decent speed because they claimed "I am far from the central office"
I was paying for a 2Mbps speed and I was receiving about 512Kbps. is int this ridiculous?
To be honnest I want a decent speed with less $. anyone ever experienced this type of issue?

cariboo
November 28th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Have you tried cable? That sounds more like a adsl issue.

Machnikowski
November 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
the reason why I want to go with dialup is because ALL ISPs are expensive and useless such as bell internet, telus internet and maybe even rogers. I was a bell customer and they couldint provide me a decent speed because they claimed "I am far from the central office"
I was paying for a 2Mbps speed and I was receiving about 512Kbps. is int this ridiculous?
To be honnest I want a decent speed with less $. anyone ever experienced this type of issue?

So you're saying you plan to remedy the issue of lack of speed by going back to dialup?

I'm in Canada as well (Vancouver) and I use Shaw's "High Speed Extreme" and it's blazin'.

LinuxFanBoi
November 28th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Even at 512 kbps, you're still getting almost 10x the speed of a dial-up connection. I would be upset that i wasn't getting what I payed for. Does your ISP have a 512 kbps package? why pay for more if their network is incapable of delivering it at any faster than 512?

Yes cable is stupid fast, Fiber is even better if you can get it. I really miss having NTT when I was stationed in Japan. 100Mbps FTW! Good times......... good times!

MasterNetra
November 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Even at 512 kbps, you're still getting almost 10x the speed of a dial-up connection. I would be upset that i wasn't getting what I payed for. Does your ISP have a 512 kbps package? why pay for more if their network is incapable of delivering it at any faster than 512?

Yes cable is stupid fast, Fiber is even better if you can get it. I really miss having NTT when I was stationed in Japan. 100Mbps FTW! Good times......... good times!

lol It be awesome to have a T3 connection the speed would pwn just like it would pwn my wallet and bank account.

sudoer541
November 28th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Have you tried cable? That sounds more like a adsl issue.

if nothing works out then yes cable is my last hope! but its expensive! I heard of a company called 3web (they re-sell rogers internet) but I am not sure if they are good.

LinuxFanBoi
November 28th, 2009, 02:49 AM
lol It be awesome to have a T3 connection the speed would pwn just like it would pwn my wallet and bank account.

In Okinawa, NTT charged 4400 Yen (about $40 a month at that time) for their 100Mbps Fiber package. The only issue was waiting for the install. Business customers in Japan got priority over residential, and many residential customers needed the connection made all the way to the pole.

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 03:03 AM
You realize that 512k downloads are better then just 5k downloads (at best).

I would also like to piggy back on what Cariboo mentioned about going cable. It can be more expensive, but it can also go up over 12MBit.

dragos240
November 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Dial up was always tricky with linux so I heard, even more tricky then wireless.

Wireless is not tricky.

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "nameofnetwork"
dhcpcd/dhclient wlan0

DONE!

cariboo
November 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'm with Shaw here in BC, right now I have to pay a bit of a premium because I refuse to subscribe to cable tv, Once my contract with Telus for my business line runs out I plan on going with Shaw for phone service too, that way my internet access bill will drop to about $30.00 a month. Between the phone and internet access my total bill will drop by $40.00.

Right now after taxes I pay $45.00 for 7.5 Mb down 512K up.

sudoer541
November 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I'm with Shaw here in BC, right now I have to pay a bit of a premium because I refuse to subscribe to cable tv, Once my contract with Telus for my business line runs out I plan on going with Shaw for phone service too, that way my internet access bill will drop to about $30.00 a month. Between the phone and internet access my total bill will drop by $40.00.

Right now after taxes I pay $45.00 for 7.5 Mb down 512K up.

I see.
Now for dialup I have a big disadvantage of being far from the central office as Bell claims.
does the far from central office apply to cable internet as well?

lisati
November 28th, 2009, 04:51 AM
<aside>I'm a little bit peeved at the moment. I rewired my connection the other day, and was getting better speeds. According to speedtest.net my best is twice what others have experienced with my ISP. Today it has been raining, and, as sometimes happens when it rains, my connection speed has dropped heaps, and I'm only 1.5km by road from the phone exchange. (By path it's about 1km, and, in a straight line, even shorter, but since the underground cables tend to go along the road....) It's still better than what I was getting with dial-up. Sighs</aside>

sudoer541
November 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM
is there a map or a website that measures the distance from my modem to my ISPs central office?

lisati
November 28th, 2009, 05:14 AM
is there a map or a website that measures the distance from my modem to my ISPs central office?

I used the driving directions feature Google maps to figure out mine, by knowing where I live and knowing where my ISP's local office is.

Spike-X
November 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm thinking of going back to a horse-drawn carriage. Does anyone know where one might find a good wheelwright in this day and age?

JDShu
November 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
As I read this thread, I could hear the familiar dial-up connection tone in my head.

alwayshere
November 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I hav a external dyalink 56k dailup modem ( V1456VQE ) model

if you are using a full hardware external modem
go to "system" on your desktop
then addministration
then network

put your dailup number in phone number area
put your dailup user name and password in

now set up modem if you have a serial conection use "/dev/ttyso from drop box
or if your using a usb conection change /dev/ttyso to /dev/ttyUSB0 (note manualy change it point click and edit it)
set dail type to tones

tick all boxs in options tab

once all done click save tick box at top left

now when you turn on your pc it will dail up straight away

if your using a pci modem it will be an uphill battle best to get full hardware external modem
they're cheap as chips

im using a dynalink v1456vqe serial conection ) a bit old school v90

i set up a dlink dfm-562e serial conection ) on my mates macbook which is a v92

no serial port no worries just get a serial to usb adapter cord and use the /dev/ttyUSB0 as i said above

alwayshere
November 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

sudoer541
November 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I hav a external dyalink 56k dailup modem ( V1456VQE ) model

if you are using a full hardware external modem
go to "system" on your desktop
then addministration
then network

put your dailup number in phone number area
put your dailup user name and password in

now set up modem if you have a serial conection use "/dev/ttyso from drop box
or if your using a usb conection change /dev/ttyso to /dev/ttyUSB0 (note manualy change it point click and edit it)
set dail type to tones

tick all boxs in options tab

once all done click save tick box at top left

now when you turn on your pc it will dail up straight away

if your using a pci modem it will be an uphill battle best to get full hardware external modem
they're cheap as chips

im using a dynalink v1456vqe serial conection ) a bit old school v90

i set up a dlink dfm-562e serial conection ) on my mates macbook which is a v92

no serial port no worries just get a serial to usb adapter cord and use the /dev/ttyUSB0 as i said above

you mean network tools? thats the only network option in system> administration.

alwayshere
December 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
sorry i have had this info in my stash since 7.04 when i had dailup so my be a little outdated but still usefull

you may need to install GNOME PPP which is the dailup front end just go to add and remove and search for it .
(GNOME PPP uses wvdail as its backend)

cascade9
December 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I used the driving directions feature Google maps to figure out mine, by knowing where I live and knowing where my ISP's local office is.

Which works. Theres an easier way here, start at this page, put in your details-

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php

Then you get something like this-

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummary.php?SummaryLogID=123611&Verify=a017354db609bf4ac118471cb8d301c4

Somewhere else theres various different maps, some with the distance from the exchange already coloured in for whatever area you select (too lazy to find it now LOL)

I'm not surprised that there is nothing like that for New Zealand, but I thought that there would be for the US, Canada and Europe. Maybe we actually get cool stuff that the rest of the world doesnt, to make up for the crappy, expensive broadband here?

On dialup- I was using it up to about a year ago. Thanks to a %&#$%$ flatmate who was "worried I would use p2p and get him in trouble" (this from a guy who ques up whole TV series on open torrent trackers, but whatever)

It works, but its not that great. Apart from slow speed, I was spending about $8-10 a week on connection phone calls (x1 per day, with the odd "stupid thing has dropped out and I've got to reconnect"). That, plus the..er.... forget how much I was paying for he dialup per month, IIRC is was less than $10 but more than $5 was almost $20 a month. I can get ADSL2+ for that amount, with decent-ish download caps-

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search&state=qld&class=0&type=res&pre=200&cost=20&speed=256&upspeed=0&ip=1&contract=99&upfront=999999&needhw=yes&conntype=1&sort=0

@ sudoer541- I have no idea about call costs, connection costs, etc but if its as cheap, or cheaper to use ADSL here uit cant be any worse where you are. Seriously. BTW, I would bet that your ISP was miswording with "I am far from the central office" to explain why your speeds where low. Distance the the exchange would be more realistic, as that really does affect speed. One of my friends get "ADSL 8M/bit" but his speeds are more like 1.5M/bit because hes nearly 8KM from the exchange.