PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04.2 Hardy upgrade process

Polecats
November 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
New to this.

I have Ubuntu 8.04.2 and wish to upgrade in order to eventually the new release 9.10.

I have followed various instructions here however, my software appears a bit different than what is normally shown.

In order to follow normal upgrade procedure I understand I am to:

System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates

However, my software only has 3 tabs: Updates; Third-Party Software: Applications

Under Updates Tab I only have one option: "Check for updates" [Daily etc].

I do not have a choice to select "Release upgrade".

My question is therefore, how do I begin the upgrading process??

raymondh
November 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
New to this.

I have Ubuntu 8.04.2 and wish to upgrade in order to eventually the new release 9.10.

I have followed various instructions here however, my software appears a bit different than what is normally shown.

In order to follow normal upgrade procedure I understand I am to:

System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates

However, my software only has 3 tabs: Updates; Third-Party Software: Applications

Under Updates Tab I only have one option: "Check for updates" [Daily etc].

I do not have a choice to select "Release upgrade".

My question is therefore, how do I begin the upgrading process??

Hardy is an LTS and therefore, by default, will not offer to upgrade to the 6-month versions (intrepid would be next for you)

That said ... yes it is ODD that you don't have the release upgrade option.

Try this (after being updated in 8.04)

Press ALT +F2 and type

update-manager -d

See if update manager gives you the option.

Here is UG's site/blog

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-to-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibix.html

Regards,

staf0048
November 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Under the updates tab, there should be a drop down menu. If you have 8.04, the default setting is LTS (Long Term Support), so you wont see anything in the update manager until 10.04. You should be able to select the other option (I forget the actual title) from that drop down menu.

That being said, if you're goal is to upgrade to 9.10 from 8.04, I'd highly suggest downloading the new ISO, burning to dics and upgrading that way. Otherwise, your computer is going to to make you go through the 8.10 and 9.04 versions before you get to 9.10, which will take a very long time and would be a complete waste (in my opinion).

raymondh
November 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
PS:

Sometimes, because of the sequential process .... update hardy, upgrade to intrepid, update intrepid, upgrade to jaunty, update jaunty, upgrade to Karmic ...and the phase of the moon ;).... it is better to just burn a Karmic LiveCD and do clean install. You'll also have a chance to try out Karmic in live session prior to installing.

Your choice though.