PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How I Stopped Worrying about Black Screen During Installation

PoorLeno
November 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
:popcorn: First of all... I understand that my problem should very much be googlable, and hence I will preemptively thwart any sarcastic attempt to "help" by suggesting the aforementioned method of self-education with the following - I've tried googling it, and all I got was a password reminder to this forum...

Hi everybody! It's that time of the year again, and I don't mean x-mas (Incidentally x-mas did come early this year, at least to my household, where a brand new HP Z400 + NVS 295 has just taken residence windowsxpeesly and dualmonitorly). It's the time of trying to install a new version of ubuntu, getting nowhere, then arguing with oneself on the forum like a mad person.

Luckily, I have a step-system that (creates and subsequently...) solves most of my ubuntu woes. I'll introduce it to you in a form of an instructional guide, such that may be reused for your own woes, when the next unfinished ubuntu hits the intrawebs.

1. Run wubi.exe, wait until it torrents an iso you already downloaded and mutter profanities under your breath.

2. Reboot your computer and choose ubunti. Marvel at lines wizzing past you at light speed, wonder if kernel hackers can actually read that fast.

3. Look at the pretty white-on-black ubuntu logo, which seems to pulsate once... twice, then wink out of existance. Seemingly forever.

4. Wonder if the black screen is supposed to happen, and if so, then what's the polite time to wait before searching for a reset button.

5. Punch the reset button, get a mouthful of existential angst that is windows xp, and run to the forums, where people smarter than you take pity and help.

6. Thank everyone in advance, and wait for replies. Consider writing a script that would do this automatically... Wait instead.

presence1960
November 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Is there a purpose or objective to this thread?

PoorLeno
November 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Is there a purpose or objective to this thread?

I'm waiting for someone with capacity for abstract thought to provide me with means to install ubuntu.

presence1960
November 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Just ask for help and maybe you will receive it. No need to be cryptic.

P.S. what if the person with the solution does not have capacity for abstract thought? would you accept the help?

raymondh
November 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM
OK, I'll try the "abstract".

Couple of questions ....

1. Have you tried the LIVECD and live session? How did that go?
2. I am no fan of WUBI .... want to try a Ubuntu in it's own partition?
3. Remember that a wubi-install is ALSO dependent on the current state and health of your windows. Have you tried to defrag and clean-up windows?

Lastly, kindly post your specs so we may compare it to the release notes and compatibility list.

Regards (and Merry Christmas :) )