PDA

View Full Version : percolator?

fatcrab
November 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Does anyone still use a percolator?

toupeiro
November 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I remember my grandparents having one. I use a modern/traditional pot and every once in a while a french press.

infestor
November 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
in europe it is still very popular to use percolators, like this ones:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Moka2.jpg/501px-Moka2.jpg

lykwydchykyn
November 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Only when I'm hankering for the taste of burnt, over-extracted coffee.

Which would be.... never.

ZankerH
November 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I don't drink coffee, and I have zero cooking skills past sticking stuff in the microwave.

nubimax
November 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I use one every time the electricity goes out here. It does not need to taste burned you just need to learn how to use one.
M.

paydaydaddy
November 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Same as nubimax. I live in rural pacific northwest. We lose power several times a year. We have a stove top percolator that is around thirty years old. Good coffee. We use the drip coffee maker most of the time for convienance.

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I havent seen one in years. I just use a regular coffe pot to make both coffee and tea. But I only drink coffee maybe once a month. But I make tea 3 times a week.

RichardLinx
November 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I use a percolator on a daily basis.

lisati
November 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
My parents used to have a percolator. Don't know what happened to it.

I prefer the drip/filter kind of coffee, but Mrs Lisati wouldn't let me buy the necessaries when a local shop had them on special. Suppose I'll have to make do with cheap and nasty instant coffee.

RichardLinx
November 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
My parents used to have a percolator. Don't know what happened to it.

I prefer the drip/filter kind of coffee, but Mrs Lisati wouldn't let me buy the necessaries when a local shop had them on special. Suppose I'll have to make do with cheap and nasty instant coffee.

That's horrible. :(

fatcrab
November 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I like burnt, over-extracted coffee.But i'am rather lame.

sgosnell
November 27th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I usually use either a French press or espresso machine, depending on how much time I have and where I am. I sometimes use a regular coffee-maker, but I haven't used, or seen anyone use, a percolator in many years. If I have to make coffee without electricity, a French press will do the job just fine, and the coffee tastes a lot better. In a pinch, you can just put the coffee in boiling water and let it steep, then sink the grounds temporarily with a little cold water.

fatcrab
November 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I can remember a time when a percolator was a regular coffee maker.Dam I am old:sad:.