PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] when i install upgrades i lose my wireless.

platelunch
November 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have the broadcom bcm4312 wireless chipset. I had a hard time figuring out how to get the wireless to work when I first installed Ubuntu. Now when there was an upgrade available, I had to reinstall the driver. How do I keep from having to do that every time I do an upgrade?

raymondh
November 27th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I have the broadcom bcm4312 wireless chipset. I had a hard time figuring out how to get the wireless to work when I first installed Ubuntu. Now when there was an upgrade available, I had to reinstall the driver. How do I keep from having to do that every time I do an upgrade?

MSI wind with the Realtek RTL 8187SE card. Every time there is a kernel uppade/upgrade, I have to search for and install the driver for this card. Was running intrepid. With Karmic, the driver is incorporated and it works out of the box. Unfortunately, I had to remove Karmic (for another reason) and am back to Intrepid. Sigh.

My guess is when the manufacturer finally provides a driver and it is incorporated in the kernel, we won't have this challenge anymore. Until then, we either use the older kernel (or version) or ... continuously add the driver whenever we upgrade.

Regards,