PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How did I install 32bit on my 64bit machine?

anonSam
November 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I ordered the free CD to install Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic on my AMD 64bit machine. When I filled out the form online I noticed there were no options for processor or architecture type, and on the CD package it doesn't mention anything about it either. I figured it would ask for my choice during installation or just auto-detect 64bit. Well I didn't see anything suggesting architecture type during the install and it installed the 32bit version. Can anyone tell me what I missed here so I don't do this again in the future?

darkod
November 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure about the CDs they ship, but on the website the Desktop 32bit version is offered by default. However, you can click on Alternative Download Options and it will offer the 64bit version.
Alternatively, all images can be found on http://releases.ubuntu.com including previous releases. In the image filename there is either i386 or amd64 to inform you whether it's 32bit or 64bit.

howefield
November 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Can anyone tell me what I missed here so I don't do this again in the future?

You didn't miss anything other than shipit (assuming that's where you got your cd from) only appear to send out 32 bit CDs.

If you want 64 bit you need to download yourself.

anonSam
November 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, it was from shipit, I should have mentioned that. Well that's good to know now and I learned something new! I'll download the torrent through the link you gave me. Thanks for the help guys!

Orange Kingdom
December 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Is there a 64bit Intel i5 (not AMD) iso?

I see only a 32bit i386 version and a 64bit for AMD version.

howefield
December 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM
The AMD version is compatible with Intel also. AMD were the originators of 64 bit, so the name stuck. That's a really simplistic way of putting it, but the point is amd64 is compatible with both Intel and AMD processors.