PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Cube Ubuntu 9.10

Woody_Paranoia
November 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi, I would like to activate desktop cube on my netbook. However after searching through forums and general google searching all the suggested solutions for other people don't seem to work for me, although they seemed to work for the original poster.

I am completely new to ubuntu so please go easy and don't say too much complex things, i know a thing or two about computers but Ubuntu is a completely new and different to me.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

practic
November 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
It would help if you told whether you are using Ubuntu Netbook Remix, or just regular Ubuntu 9.10...but the instructions are pretty similar. I'll keep them as simple as possible:

1. Open the Ubuntu Software Center (usually at the bottom of the Applications menu).

2. Type:

compiz

...in the Search box.

3. Make sure three of the programs that show up on the search list are installed:

Compiz
Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)
Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager

4. Once this is done, close the Ubuntu Software Center, and go to the System->Preferences menu and choose Appearance. The Appearance dialog will open.

5. Select the last tab on the Appearance Preferences dialog, which is called Visual Effects.

6. Select the Custom radio button. If you didn't have effects turned on, you might have to wait a bit for the graphics driver to initialize.

7. Now click the Preferences button to the right of the Custom radio button. That will load the Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager, which has some of the basic and most popular Compiz settings.

8. On the Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager click on the Desktop tab, change the Appearance to Desktop Cube, and make sure your Desktop columns are set to 4, and the Desktop rows to 1.

9. Now hold down Ctrl and Alt and either click and drag the left mouse, or use the right or left arrow keys. You should see the cube effect.

Set whatever you like in the rest of the Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager, and then close it, and close the Appearances dialog.

You can also get into a huge array of advanced settings. From the System->Preferences menu, choose CompizConfig Settings Manager. There you can adjust the speed of the cube, the zoom effect while rotating, 3D windows while rotating, put a background pic behind the cube, adjust transparency of the cube while rotating, etc., etc. It's almost endless!

Woody_Paranoia
December 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you practic... My problem has now been solved and the cube is now working..

gradinaruvasile
December 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Also , install fusion-icon. You will have a tray icon that gives you access to many compiz related options...

blake286
February 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
My desktop cube is horizontal windows i change my appearance to desktop cube columns to 4 rows stayed at 1, enabled desktop cube and rotate cube changed horizontal virtual size to 4, vertical at 1, desktops 1 can anyone tell me what im missing?

practic
February 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure I get your question, but it sounds like you're trying to set a cube and instead you're getting a horizontal plane. Do you have the Rotate Cube option turned on in Compiz Config Settings Manager?

rahul_bhise
November 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM
it set my qube right thanks a lot