PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Core

Grifulkin
November 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
So I notice when someone asks about a lightweight distro to run on an old PC, why do most people mention Puppy or DSL. Yes puppy is small, but not nearly as small as TinyCore. And DSL has an out of date kernel IIRC.

People should mention TinyCore more often. It is very small and has repositories and it is as easy as click and install. That easy, they even have Firefox 3.5 in their repository so it must be somewhat up to date. I think it would be a much better choice for old hardware. But then again that is just my opinion right?

RATM_Owns
November 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
People should. It's a 10MB distro.
Microcore is 6.4MB.

Greg
November 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Puppy and DSL are the established distros, where TinyCore and SliTaz are new to the game.

cariboo
November 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
If you want to put a distro on an older computer DSL is perfect with it's older kernel, as isa support is not very good in the newer Ubuntu kernels, I'm not sure about anyone else's, as I haven't tried to but any other version on an older computer.

snowpine
November 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
People should mention TinyCore more often. It is very small and has repositories and it is as easy as click and install. That easy, they even have Firefox 3.5 in their repository so it must be somewhat up to date. I think it would be a much better choice for old hardware. But then again that is just my opinion right?

People should recommend what they feel comfortable recommending, not what you tell them to. I do not recommend Tiny Core because I have never used it and know nothing about it. :)

Puppy and DSL have a long track record of excellence for old hardware. That is probably why they are recommended more frequently than the "new kid on the block."

Grifulkin
November 28th, 2009, 01:37 AM
People should recommend what they feel comfortable recommending, not what you tell them to. I do not recommend Tiny Core because I have never used it and know nothing about it. :)

Puppy and DSL have a long track record of excellence for old hardware. That is probably why they are recommended more frequently than the "new kid on the block."

I am not telling people to not recommend others, but to recommend it along with the others. If it doesn't get out there as a minimialisitic distro like puppy or DSL, how is going to do well?

james_xxx
November 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
One thing worth considering here, would be the fact that DSL appears to be a project that is abandoned, and no longer being maintained.

Another would be the fact that the Tiny Core Linux project was started by Robert Shingledecker, who was formerly one of the primary DSL developers.

I am not trying to say that DSL should not be used, especially if hardware is being used that newer distributions do not support. It's just that the likelihood is high that there will be no updates to DSL.

I am wanting to give both Tiny Core and Slitaz a whirl soon.

Nerd King
November 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I've used Slitaz and it's excellent. Just had a play with tinycore and got it working pretty fast on a machine with 48MB RAM. Nice.

james_xxx
December 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
I just spent a fair bit of time playing with both Slitaz and Tiny Core this weekend, and am VERY impressed by both.

Grifulkin
December 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Tiny Core FTW!

suar
December 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Did anyone successeded in frugal install of Tiny Core into /boot directory in 9.10? I tried it but got some error which immediately disappear and appropriate entry do not even show up. Any how-tos on frugal installs for 9.10?

openuniverse
December 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM

markp1989
December 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM
im giving tiny core ago on my eeepc right now, i have installed lxde, and xorg, to get it abit heavier,

it seems nice, doesnt boot as fast as i had hoped (even at stock it didnt) it would on my eee. my customised arch instlal booted faster.

even for a small distro it does feel abit naked when you first run it . i wish they would release a slightly heavier version with xorg , and a browser.

Simon17
December 10th, 2009, 03:18 AM
markp, you might like Slax. It's not so bare with firefox and kde 3.5 but still very small and fast (200 mb and runs in ram).

JBAlaska
December 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
As a matter of fact, I have recently recommended TC to a user here (But my post got lost in the inevitable Arch and Mint chanting lol), although puppy is a better choice for n00b's especially if they expect it to work with a wireless adapter "outta da box" But if you want to build from the ground up and have axx to a wired connection to get started TC is sweet.
Tiny Core + WiFi Radar + LXDE + Compiz + Emerald = ROX!