PDA

View Full Version : Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic which is better...?

emigrant
November 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
hi all,
which is better in terms of stability, performance, and hardware support...

thank you all :popcorn:

PS: most importantly in terms of internet connectivity for mobilebroadbadn, ethernet and wifi ...

edit: please state your reasons as well, as im finding it hard to stay in which version.

Norm24
November 27th, 2009, 04:00 PM
For me its Karmic.Its the first version where I can sucessfully suspend/hibernate my Gateway laptop.

Its simply the fastest version so far to which I'm assuming Ext4 plays a big part in that.It also loads the fastest of any previous version.

There are other things of course but those three things are huge for me.

And its free!

lovemylady
November 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Always the newest of course ;) (atleast mostly)

November 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
For me, Intrepid worked well.

Chris Edgell
November 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I probably shouldn't have voted at all.

My Hardy worked great for me. When I got Jaunty, I lost my sound, have not remedied that situation yet although I tried some advise. (Now am waiting for my installer and mentor to return from mission in Guyana.

I must say I haven't been "on" Karmic.

madnessjack
November 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Using ubuntu studio, so it's fairly minimal to start with. It just worked on my old compaq p4 unit, really smooth. Jaunty lagged quite a bit on it. I had to NDIS the wifi drivers again, but i guess that's what i get for using an old wifi card.

Yeah, karmic has done me good. Nice one.

Tibuda
November 27th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Lucid

November 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Lucid

:lol:

RiceMonster
November 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Nasty Narwhal is my preferred release.

danbuter
November 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I want to like Karmic, but the lack of Intel graphics drivers for my netbook prevents me from doing so.

ninjapirate89
November 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Jaunty worked best for me. Everything worked OotB on both of my computers.

scottuss
November 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I think Jaunty was possibly the best release to date.. perhaps...

However I use Karmic on my main desktop and Hardy LTS on a laptop that I use for my business (remote IT support being a large part of it)

fatcrab
November 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Karmic.My usb powerline bridge works with karmic:D.I could not get it to work with jaunty:confused:.

Marvin666
November 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have to say, jaunty xubuntu is the only version I've ever used. The only unresolved problem I had with it was lack of obscure graphics modes for external monitors (1024x768 71hz I believe..).

Eagles18
November 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I like Karmic because it supports everything without changing anything.On Jaunty, I spent hours trying to make my printer and Wi-Fi work on it; they worked instantly when I installed Karmic.Karmic also perfectly suspends my laptop,while Jaunty never did.

lovemylady
November 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
You got knowlege about wifi and networking? @ eagles18??? since i got some plroblems with my network card.. internet woks so far like u can see but i need some assistance ;)

Rainstride
November 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
hi all,
which is better in terms of stability, performance, and hardware support...

thank you all :popcorn:

PS: most importantly in terms of internet connectivity for mobilebroadbadn, ethernet and wifi ...

edit: please state your reasons as well, as im finding it hard to stay in which version.

Hardy = best stability

Karmic = best performance, and best hardware support.

lisati
November 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Jaunty works well on my laptop. A quick check with the help of a memory stick let me know that I'd probably have to to some tinkering to get Karmic to work on it.

lovemylady
November 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Karmic got also a perfect stability!!

Dennis N
November 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Rated for stability, performance, hardware support:

1) Intrepid (not a choice in the poll) all around best.
2) Hardy (a close second)
3) Karmic (probably too soon to judge)

Jaunty - never used it because of Intel problems.

Catboy~
November 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Jaunty is the best for me, since absolutely everything works out of the box. I tried a fresh install of Karmic, but it didn't recognize either of my wireless adapters, and I couldn't find a guide to fix that, so I just went back to Jaunty. I've been incredibly happy with Jaunty though, much more stable than its predecessors. :D

hoppipolla
November 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
The Karmic Koala! Until Lucid that is! :D

jrusso2
November 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I loved the stability of Hardy but its gotten a bit too old for even me to use.

I wish all the Ubuntu releases could be as stable as Hardy.

When I started using Linux is was competing against Windows 95 which was not very stable so it was an easy choice.

But now I find Linux distros often to be less stable then Vista, XP or Windows 7 and this to me is troubling and defeats for me the purpose of Linux.

speedwell68
November 28th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Karmic.

Why is there no option for Intrepid Ibex?

fromthehill
November 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
with every releas hardware-support got better (at least for me)
with 9.04 I had to install alsa 1.0.19 from source to get the sound working

SmittyJensen
November 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'd test 8.04 first and if that works fine with your hardware I'd go for it. tried and tested

karmic/9.10's gnome is much, much more polished and stuff. much more "modern" but you'll probably have a lot more problems with it because of it's newness.

Zoot7
November 28th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Depends... If you want rock solid stability, but can live with being a release or two behind the latest release then go for Hardy.
Otherwise if you want to be on the bleeding edge (or as up to date as possible) go with Karmic. Mind you I have found Karmic to be as stable as Hardy and a lot more snappy than Hardy thanks to the new Kernel.
Up to you really. :)

peter d
November 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Having worked with Karmic for about three weeks now it's really growing on me. The exact opposite was true for Hardy, but I did like Jaunty very much.

I like the Ubuntu Software Centre and Ubuntu One looks great too.

For me Ubuntu seems to go from strength to strength.

PariahVayne
November 29th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Intrepid.