PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] "Upgrade" from 9.10 "Standard" to Studio

beamendslrs
November 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hi all,
I hope this hasn't been asked before, I did look....

I've only just discovered Studio, but just after upgrading to 9.10 "Standard"!

I've installed lots of guitar/studio related stuff, and got some of it working ok, but some apps won't work when others are running (eg with JACK running none of the guitar tuners will run at all - they just don't start).

I assume these problems would already be solved so to speak if Studio is installed.

The question is, is it possible to install Studio as and upgrade (or is there a script or something to achieve the same effect) - I really don't want to do a fresh install as I've spent a lot of time getting other apps installed and configured.

It's a pity Ubuntu don't mention the Studio flavour on their main site, or I would have gone for it.

Thanks in advance
Richard

zvacet
November 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Synaptc>type in search box ubuntu studio and you will find packages you need.I believe that you want audio and video packages.Install other if you want/need to.You also need rt kernel.I hope this will help you.

beamendslrs
November 28th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Synaptc>type in search box ubuntu studio and you will find packages you need.I believe that you want audio and video packages.Install other if you want/need to.You also need rt kernel.I hope this will help you.

Sounds good - thank you.

wegface
November 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Ubuntu studio will not fix those issues, or any audio issues- its stock ubuntu with the extra packages- thats all. Learning curve in linux audio is STEEP :(

AlwaysLate
December 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM

From this post I gather that I need to obtain a real time kernel. I checked synaptic but can't figure out what I need to select. Please advise.

I set up studio by first installing Karmic and then installing the Ubuntu Studio packages from synaptic. JACK does not start and so I know that I have more work to do. I've read in another place that the an install from the Ubuntu Studio DVD is different from the way that I did it, but install from DVD is not an option for me at this time, so I need to make mine work. What is the difference between the two and how can I fix mine?

Thanks