PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Linux - Microsoft Didn't Want it! But We Did!

jman6495
November 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
So ,
Here's Longhorn Linux v0.7
It Doesn't Look That Bad!
I Took Original Longhorn Resources To Make It.

Hope You Like It Even If It's Got a Windows Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7Hv-6yo58

-jman6495

OOPS : Someone Please Move This , I Put it in the wrong place!

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 03:14 PM
But does it run windows apps?

Functionality > Eye-Candy

praveesh
November 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Originality is very important . Iam afraid, A photo copy won't go anywhere .

vexorian
November 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Sure, just install wine.

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Sure, just install wine.

I meant flawlessly.

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
What is it based on? Gnome or KDE?

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I meant flawlessly, and all programs.

Edited this for you. :-D

WannabeFantasma
November 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
haha maybe i should install that for my mom :D
(she doesn't want to switch to ubuntu...)
(or isn't it available?)

cascade9
November 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Looks like its KDE 4 to me. Uglified.

SeanHodges
November 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I meant flawlessly.

So, what, better than Windows does?

Psumi
November 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
So, what, better than Windows does?

Yes.

zagz
November 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Comipz

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Comipz

Huh? You're misunderastanding my question. I know how he's doing the 3d effects. I want to know what Desktop Environment s/he based this on.

RiceMonster
November 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Huh? You're misunderastanding my question. I know how he's doing the 3d effects. I want to know what Desktop Environment s/he based this on.

You can run compiz-fusion as standalone, since it uses emerald for a wm.

I doubt that's the case, though.

Excedio
November 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
You can run compiz-fusion as standalone, since it uses emerald for a wm.*snip*

Duly noted. :-)

Giant Speck
November 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
All I see in that video is some sort of Linux, Compiz, Screenlets, Gnome-Do, and Emerald.

NEEEEEEXT!

jman6495
November 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Just To Clear Up ,
It's Gnome , Taking The Look Of What Vista SHOULD Have been , Yes , It's Screenlets , I Am Working On A Project Called Longhorn Linux ,
It Will Soon Be Availible As Soon As I Find HOSTING for the big iso image.
there will be a KDE4 Version With A Different Look.
This is NOT a vista look ,this is NOT just a theme ,
this is a new OS ,
There Will Be A New File Manager , Web Browser Soon ..
it's VERY good for windows users , i have installed it on a few windows users PC's and they LOVE it!

jman6495

jman6495
November 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
All I see in that video is some sort of Linux, Compiz, Screenlets, Gnome-Do, and Emerald.

NEEEEEEXT!
No Gnome-Do , Yes To Emerald , Compiz Yes , Personal Made Theme YES
ect....

ps.
the reason i didn't do something original is cause this distro is for the nice people over at joejoe.org

chris200x9
November 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I don't know maybe it's just me but isn't this "look like windows to convert people" a bad attitude? I mean average person "hey this is exactly like windows but better " then comes "WHAT I CAN'T RUN ANYTHING?!" I mean if you are really considering switchinng I think you could learn gnome or kde it's not rocket science...

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Edited this for you. :-DEven Windows doesn't run all Windows programs. There are some old games that I can run in Wine that I can't run in Vista.

Just To Clear Up ,
It's Gnome , Taking The Look Of What Vista SHOULD Have been , Yes , It's Screenlets , I Am Working On A Project Called Longhorn Linux ,
It Will Soon Be Availible As Soon As I Find HOSTING for the big iso image.
there will be a KDE4 Version With A Different Look.
This is NOT a vista look ,this is NOT just a theme ,
this is a new OS ,
There Will Be A New File Manager , Web Browser Soon ..
it's VERY good for windows users , i have installed it on a few windows users PC's and they LOVE it!

jman6495Even if it's what Vista should have been, Vista is obsolete now, anyway. So you can't really brag on that. It does look nice, though.

But if it's a whole new OS, what repos are you going to be using. If you can't even host the iso, I really doubt if you'll be creating your own repos. So is this based on Ubuntu, or what?

Also, if you want this to become big, maybe you should change the name, unless you want a trademark violation lawsuit from the really big guy. MS won't bother with themes that have their names in them, but they might not like a whole OS that violates a trademark.

jman6495
November 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Even Windows doesn't run all Windows programs. There are some old games that I can run in Wine that I can't run in Vista.

Even if it's what Vista should have been, Vista is obsolete now, anyway. So you can't really brag on that. It does look nice, though.

But if it's a whole new OS, what repos are you going to be using. If you can't even host the iso, I really doubt if you'll be creating your own repos. So is this based on Ubuntu, or what?

Also, if you want this to become big, maybe you should change the name, unless you want a trademark violation lawsuit from the really big guy. MS won't bother with themes that have their names in them, but they might not like a whole OS that violates a trademark.

yeah , it's ubuntu based , It Also uses The Ubuntu Repos ,
I Have A Big Question Though , Cause It's Just A Quick Build In RemasterSys using Backup , This Means That Only One Pre-Created User has the Look (In This Case an account Called longhorn)
If a new account is created then it goes back to the default ubuntu look,
Does Anyone Know How To Fix This?

i'm also planning on distributing it as a installable pack for ubuntu
with a PPA.

we know about this problem so we have a backup plan .
- a replacement logo in case they get us for that
- a replacement for the "Longhorn" Name

yeah , on a previous project i was doing we got a nice little message from Micro$oft Telling Us To Change The Name , We Complied

MaxIBoy
November 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I think you will need to create an actual installer CD to get the theme to be default.

Just extract the files from an ordinary Ubuntu ISO, hack on them to your heart's content, make a new ISO image.

There are also some tools to make your life easier here. See this link.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization

You can run compiz-fusion as standalone, since it uses emerald for a wm.

I doubt that's the case, though.
Compiz *is* a WM. Emerald is a window decorator. Big difference.

uberdonkey5
November 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I like it, but the main problem will be that the whole structure of linux is different to windows. WIll people understand the add/remove programs or synaptic? When they buy their hardware won't they be trying to install the windows disk to get the drivers?

I think its great to have this to convert people.. ubuntu without changes looks a bit pokey (though I like Karmic). This would work well for setting up stuff for your grandma.. i.e. a user who is not going to want new windows software/new hardware etc and just wants you to set it up and leave it.

A worthwhile project (not sure if you can call it a different OS? but def. a new distro that looks just like windows may be useful).

MaxIBoy
November 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
http://www.linux-xp.com/
http://xange.serdigital.com/ (Xange used to be called Vixta, but of late they seem to have given up on a longhornoid look.)

RabbitWho
November 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I don't think the fact that they look different is what keeps Windows users away from Linux.

WIN7GT
November 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hey folks, I'm part of this project too, I'm graphic designer. So, goal of this project is to transform Ubuntu from this: http://demo.reviewboard.org/media/uploaded/images/ubuntu-screenshot.jpg to a whole new OS, like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpN5hwOxR8)
We're gonna finish it in 2010, and wee're just STARTed. Help is MUCH appresiated.
NOTE: if you dislike, hate it, if you feeling bad or headache from video, please, don't tell us what we need to do, OK?

phrostbyte
November 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Something that would make this awesome is if you can write a Compiz plugin that adds a blur effect to the transparent parts of the OS.

Shpongle
November 28th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Hey folks, I'm part of this project too, I'm graphic designer. So, goal of this project is to transform Ubuntu from this: http://demo.reviewboard.org/media/uploaded/images/ubuntu-screenshot.jpg to a whole new OS, like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpN5hwOxR8)
We're gonna finish it in 2010, and wee're just STARTed. Help is MUCH appresiated.
NOTE: if you dislike, hate it, if you feeling bad or headache from video, please, don't tell us what we need to do, OK?

why not contribute directly to ubuntu , and have your project as a transformation pack , similar to the mac4lin project , it would be easier to maintain that way , splitting the distro isnt the best way to go , i mean we have a buntu for pretty much everything tho. some the features in that vid look really nice . b et the compiz guys will top it tho

MasterNetra
November 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Even Windows doesn't run all Windows programs. There are some old games that I can run in Wine that I can't run in Vista.

Even if it's what Vista should have been, Vista is obsolete now, anyway. So you can't really brag on that. It does look nice, though.

Not really its just called Windows 7 now,

Also it might be best not to include window logos and such, Microsoft learns of this you might get a nasty little letter which might be followed by a nasty lawsuit if you don't comply with the letter.

Exodist
November 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM
KDE 4.ish

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
What's the point?

hoppipolla
November 28th, 2009, 03:44 AM
That's cool I like that :)

I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with copying Windows... it's going to happen eventually just like someone is going to copy OSX. It's what open source and "free" software is all about :)

~sHyLoCk~
November 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Well it's a good effort. No need for harsh criticisms. It's not like he committed a huge crime. It's all about customization. ;)

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Well it's a good effort. No need for harsh criticisms. It's not like he committed a huge crime. It's all about customization. ;)

He uses the Windows logo and Vista/7 icons, both of which are trademarked/copyrighted, so he can't release his work. So again, what's the point?

praveesh
November 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Iam just wondering if it is difficult to make an icon theme and a logo better than that of windows . I've heard that the compiz won't work with Gnome 3. You might need to be aware of it .

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Iam just wondering if it is difficult to make an icon theme and a logo better than that of windows . I've heard that the compiz won't work with Gnome 3. You might need to be aware of it .

I would say the Oxygen icon theme used by KDE is better than Windows personally.

phrostbyte
November 28th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I think the logo on the start menu is a pretty blatant trademark violation that Microsoft is unlikely to tolerate if they discover it. It would be better if you change the logo to a "Longhorn"-style icon as this is less likely to be confused for the Windows brand. It's okay to have a "Windows-look" but you have to be careful to not allow people to confuse this with Windows as that would be illegal in most parts of the world.

SunnyRabbiera
November 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Yes.

Yes but wine is improving, with little help from microsoft

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Yes but wine is improving, with little help from microsoft
Why would Microsoft ever help WINE?

wilee-nilee
November 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I suspect longhorn is a copy write violation as well.
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Personally I like foghorn longhorn minux

WIN7GT
November 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Well, I don't care about copyright or copyleft (I live in Russia, where copyright=nothing), I'm gonna replace all windows logos with my own stylized logo, which you can see at my avatar.
Or, I will write a letter to Microsoft's GUI team to get a permission.

wilee-nilee
November 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Well, I don't care about copyright or copyleft (I live in Russia, where copyright=nothing), I'm gonna replace all windows logos with my own stylized logo, which you can see at my avatar.
Or, I will write a letter to Microsoft's GUI team to get a permission.

In America we say copywrite smoppywrite. ;)

WIN7GT
November 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Lol, thanx :)
Well, I think THESE resources is something MS will not care about. So I'll change 'em a bit and update.
Oh yeh, project name will be..Something like...Hornbuntu? Longux? Don't know, but codename of project is still Longhorn Linux.

Pasdar
November 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I'll give you a plus for the time spent on making it look quite similar. Probably indistinguishable for most people. At least the following can be said: It looks a thousand times better than the ugly thing we get from Ubuntu, lol.

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'll give you a plus for the time spent on making it look quite similar. Probably indistinguishable for most people. At least the following can be said: It looks a thousand times better than the ugly thing we get from Ubuntu, lol.

I kind of got used to the old orange theme. The new brown one is just horrible though.

Pasdar
November 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Pick any random month, click on the screenshot topic, close your eyes and randomly click. Any of those random screenshots you might click on will be better than what Canonical offers us.

I also think the name, "Ubuntu" is lame. It sounds like a drum when you say it.... all low tones... I am U BUN TU from the zulu tribe...

PariahVayne
November 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Pick any random month, click on the screenshot topic, close your eyes and randomly click. Any of those random screenshots you might click on will be better than what Canonical offers us.

I also think the name, "Ubuntu" is lame. It sounds like a drum when you say it.... all low tones... I am U BUN TU from the zulu tribe...

I like the name and what it means.

I think Ubuntu looked best in Hardy with the default wallpaper. I really liked it =]

WIN7GT
November 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Bump

Ylon
November 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Good work,

emulate any kind of design (good or bad, don't matter so long is close to the original one) is the first step to become a good designer. :ks

LoloftheRings
November 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
This might be a good one for those who cannot get used to new interfaces

jman6495
November 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah...
about .. NOW 60 People At The Microsoft Anti-Piracy Punched The Air

Lol

WIN7GT
November 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You bump it right round, baby, right round...

jman6495
November 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
You bump it right round, baby, right round...
Lol ,
Wouldn't It Be Good If We Could Get This Stickied In THe Other Distributions Section
*Cough*Stickyit*cough*

mmix
November 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM
win32 api backport to Xorg OR
simply reactos rules.

prebuilt reactos iso
http://iso.reactos.org/

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
jman6495 nicely done. Not really my thing. When I use Ubuntu the last thing I want is to be reminded of using Windows!

Just watch out or Bill will hire you to create WindowLinux. I did notice one error with your video, there wasn't a BSOD! Oh and just make sure you pass the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage)! ;)

WIN7GT
November 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
jman6495 nicely done. Not really my thing. When I use Ubuntu the last thing I want is to be reminded of using Windows!

Just watch out or Bill will hire you to create WindowLinux. I did notice one error with your video, there wasn't a BSOD! Oh and just make sure you pass the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage)! ;)
You'll don't believe me, but:
1)Longhorn doesn't has WGA;
2)There was Red Screen of Death!
3)The day when Longhorn will be published will be the last day of this world as we know it. It'll transform into Utopia
XD

forrestcupp
November 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Nice vid. I was just talking about the Chemical Brothers yesterday.

jman6495
November 30th, 2009, 09:49 AM

actually
i made a splashy bootsplash and the error screen was changed to a BSOD!!!

lol

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Sounds cool! ;)

inobe
November 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
it's an abomination.

kapi
November 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
That is really clever, just goes to show that its really linux thats better (In my opinion) and that windows just relies on the look of it's interface to lure users.

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
:evil:GTFO from here!

I SAID, IF YOU DISLIKE WHAT WE DO AND IF YOUR OPINION IS NEGATIVE, PLEASE, DON'T POST ANYTHING! RESPECT OTHER WORKS IF YOU CAN'T DO YOUR OWN!

First of all, there is absolutely no reason to get so angry that you have to type in all uppercase letters. Secondly, how do you expect to improve your project if you aren't willing to hear negative comments?

Someone's a bit too emotionally attached...

WIN7GT
November 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
That is really clever, just goes to show that its really linux thats better (In my opinion) and that windows just relies on the look of it's interface to lure users.

Yup, that's clever, but our goal is to revive the original spirit of Longhorn, to make whole new desktop from Longhorn video concepts: Plex for Gnome and Oxygen with double-decker taskbar for KDE ;)

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Реально бесит, если кто-то говорит "мерзость" про то, над чем ты так трудишся. Я понимаю, критика, но и всяких троллей-забияк надо избегать...

1. This is an English-only section of the forum.

2. I am not a native Russian speaker. I may be able to understand what you have written, but because of my limited language skills, I will not respond to you in Russian.

3. If you feel that someone is trolling, report the post. There is absolutely no reason to get so angry at someone that you have to type in all uppercase letters.

4. You should take your own advice: всяких троллей-забияк надо избегать. This forum has allows you to put other users on ignore. If someone's "trolling" causes you that much emotional stress, put them on ignore.

WIN7GT
December 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm gonna bump it again

m4tic
December 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Why not take the longhorn idea to ReactOS, you could be of great help to them

Tristam Green
December 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Is it necessary to bump this every hour or so, or should you really just let this project kinda generate its own interest?

Surprising that you're relying on a thread on a forum to generate buzz about your clone, when a website and a link in your signature could generate the same type of traffic you're seeking.

Just sayin'.

NormanFLinux
December 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Longhorn Linux is a *buntu derived distro and now has its own home page. Connections to Microsoft's Longhorn project are purely coincidental!

http://longhornlinux.narod.ru/

Its one of those things people will either love or hate. ;)

jman6495
December 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
LONGHORN LINUX RELEASE 1.0

here it is! longhorn linux v1

http://narod.ru/disk/15886420000/custombackup.iso.html (http://narod.ru/disk/15886420000/custombackup.iso.html)
boot up to try it!

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Why not take the longhorn idea to ReactOS, you could be of great help to them

That will not happen for quite some time, because they do not have a theming system yet, nor good enough graphic card support for 3D Stuff like that, etc.

ReactOS will not have 3D graphic support installed by default (like Linux.)

This is because the default install will only have what is necessary to boot and function (USB, IDE, SATA, VESA, VGA, CD-ROM IDE, CD-ROM SATA, etc.)

Mosdarkrai
December 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Does it use gnome or kde or xfce?

Psumi
December 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Does it use gnome or kde or xfce?

You mean ReactOS? Heck no. It's a Windows Operating System, and it's free. Too bad it is in alpha though.

iNsOmNiOuS
March 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
We have just released Milestone 2 Beta of Longhorn Linux. This release is based on Ubuntu 9.10. You can find out more about our project, and download it at : www.longhorn.tk (http://www.longhorn.tk)

swoll1980
March 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Why slap MS logos all over a Linux OS?

AllRadioisDead
March 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'm going to move on with my day and forget I saw this.