PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will oo Base install onto hard drive or LiveCD?

FredVanH
November 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hi. I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 and am using it via a Live CD. I noticed that OpenOffice.org's "Base" database program is not one of the menu-offered options. If I install it from the "Ubuntu Software Center" menu choice, will it install onto the CD or onto the hard drive? If the latter, will I be be defeating the purpose of the LiveCD and so therefore should I just wait for Base until I later install Ubuntu to the hard drive?
Thanks,
Fred

prshah
November 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
using it via a Live CD.
should I just wait for Base until I later install Ubuntu to the hard drive?

ooBase is not included on the live CD due to space constraints. In a live system, there is no "real" filesystem; the entire filesystem is a "virtual" one in memory. As such, you will not be able to "install" ooBase in a live session.

So please install Ubuntu first, and then you can install ooBase.

FredVanH
November 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks, PRShah! This brings up the question: Yesterday I used OpenOffice.org's Writer program, which is included in the LiveCD, to create a document; then saved it. Today I ran Writer again and opened the document, which the Open dialog said was stored in a directory/folder named "Documents". Was it (and its folder) located on the liveCD or on my hard drive?
Thanks,
Fred

snowpine
November 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
The Live CD does not install or save anything to a physical disk unless you specifically instruct it to. Otherwise, all settings you change, applications you install, or documents you create are lost when you power off the computer.

Physical disks may be accessed through the Places menu.

FredVanH
November 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks to you both! Based on your advice, I powered down to see if the document I had created in LiveCD's OpenOffice.org Writer would still be there after I re-powered up. As you predicted, it was not there. Your help is appreciated. This was another of those things I could have tested for instead of asking about; but was afraid to for fear of fouling up my hard drive. I'll be more bold in the future.
Thanks again,
Fred

efflandt
November 28th, 2009, 02:07 AM
The only way the live CD would store persistent data (settings, files, added programs, etc.) is if you have a partition on, or mounted on, the PC formatted suitable for Linux with a volume label "casper-rw" (case sensitive) or a loop mountable file with that name. That is basically how the live/install iso on bootable USB works. The casper-rw file on the USB device is actually an ext3 filesystem that can be loop mounted, and that is saved on shutdown to save peristent data.

FredVanH
November 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks, efflandt! Detail is good. All 3 of you have contributed greatly to a beginner's knowledge of how these things work far beyond the problem at hand, which I am eating up and which you may be sure will be the basis for further explorations on my part.
Thanks,
Fred