PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Start again with installation

aloise
November 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I installed Ubuntu for the first time four days ago, using wubi.exe as my computer has no CD drive. Loved the OS, just getting into it. Yesterday it did some updates, and then needed to reboot. On rebooting, I got as far as GRUB telling me that no kernel was found. This was extremely upsetting, but I found some forum threads that suggested a series of commands that I understood Not At All, but that at least got me past GRUB. However, the OS still failed to load -- at a certain stage it told me "Alert! does not exist, dropping to a shell". Just like that: it didn't mention what did not exist.

This I found even more upsetting. I liked Ubuntu, but I spent most of the time I had it setting it up the way I liked it. However, it seemed to me that I would have to start again. I booted in Windows XP, and ran wubi.exe again. It uninstalled the previous installation, and everything seemed to be as before. However, once the installation was complete, it rebooted... and was back to GRUB, unable to find the kernel. I tried deleting the Ubuntu folder from the hard drive in XP and installing again: the same. I tried uninstalling Ubuntu from within XP and installing again: the same.

I'm desperate here. I need a way to make Ubuntu able to load. I've resigned myself to a fresh installation and losing all my settings, but it seems I can't even do that, as there's something left behind on the computer that's screwing up installations as soon as they complete.

My computer has 2 hard drives, both the same size. My windows installation is on a smaller partition of one of them: that drive is my C: and D: drives in Windows. I put Ubuntu on the other drive, which is H: in windows.