PDA

View Full Version : Small challenge (old laptop)

IAmNoodle
November 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Ok, I've made an attempt to google this, but it's a bit much to get my head around right now, so I'm hoping someone here has been in my position or might know something.

I'm in possession of a Toshiba T2130CT laptop.
It's an Intel processor (80486, whatever that means...)
32MB of RAM
502MB Hard disk
Currently running Windows 98
No USB ports
No CD drive
3.5 floppy disk drive
No internet

Are there any Linux distros that will actually run on this machine that are installable by floppy disk? I'm not overly bothered about the lack of internet. I'd like to use it as a word processor and play some basic 2D games.

snowpine
November 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Xubuntu is the version of Ubuntu meant for older computers... but I'm not sure if it has a floppy installer. :(

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Xubuntu won't install on that, let alone run. I'd say puppy linux.

lisati
November 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Xubuntu is the version of Ubuntu meant for older computers... but I'm not sure if it has a floppy installer. :(

xubuntu might not work too well. My old laptop had 222Mb ram and, although usable, it was a bit sluggish with 8.10 when I tried to do more than one thing at once. 32Mb ram might be pushing it for a full install with GUI.

Would Puppy Linux (http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started. htm) be an option? I managed to get it to work on a Desktop with 64Mb ram.

EDIT: +1 to NoaHall, seems we're thinking along similar lines here.

Grifulkin
November 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM
TinyCore linux

urukrama
November 27th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ok, I've made an attempt to google this, but it's a bit much to get my head around right now, so I'm hoping someone here has been in my position or might know something.

I'm in possession of a Toshiba T2130CT laptop.
It's an Intel processor (80486, whatever that means...)
32MB of RAM
502MB Hard disk
Currently running Windows 98
No USB ports
No CD drive
3.5 floppy disk drive
No internet

Are there any Linux distros that will actually run on this machine that are installable by floppy disk? I'm not overly bothered about the lack of internet. I'd like to use it as a word processor and play some basic 2D games.

Try Slitaz or TinyCore, or if you have the time and experience, Crux.

Also, consider running Linux with X, and use only command-line applications. It might be a little difficult at first if you are relatively new to the console, but you can get a lot done on the cli with much less resources.

If you need to install something on that computer, just connect its hard disk to another computer with a CD drive and internet, install your favourite distro on it and connect it back to the original computer. I've done this several times before and it saves a lot of time and headaches.