PDA

View Full Version : i'm lost

sergmix2
November 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
hellow huys. some one can please help me with problem that i have. i cant down load any programs from the internet and i cant not open any of my cds. i just staring using ubuntu and im lost.have 6.6 ubuntu can some one help please.

ZankerH
November 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Describe your problem more precisely. Also, the desktop version of 6.06 is no longer supported, so please upgrade to a more recent version in order to get proper support (and likely, a fix to your problems).

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM
6.6 ?? :D Erm, it's been EOL for years. Get 8.04 or 9.10 and let us know if you still have any of these problems.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM
aww that's quite sweet lol

First of all man... your version is ancient! Get the latest version (9.10 Karmic Koala) from the site www.ubuntu.com !

If you are on like 6.06 no wonder you're having problems! It's from 2006!

Zerorebels
November 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
6.6 ?? :D Erm, it's been EOL for years. Get 8.04 or 9.10 and let us know if you still have any of these problems.

this. you should get 9.10 or atleast 9.04 will fix about 80% of your 6.6 issues lol.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
What are you guys talking about ? 6.06 (dapper) was a LTS release. Support for the desktop version ended this year, the server support will end in 2011.
Anyway, OP, update it to Hardy, the next long term support release.

ceramicm
November 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

Ubuntu 6.06 is a very old version. If you can, I would suggest downloading and installing Ubuntu 9.10 (the latest version). You can find it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download).

If you need help burning it to a CD, etc., please post again, and we can help you. There is a part of the forums specifically designed for posts such as these, here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326).

Now, as to your problems:

i cant down load any programs from the internet

Make sure you are connected to the Internet (if you are posting here via your Ubuntu system, then you are :p). Program installation in Ubuntu works a bit differently than program installation in other operating systems.

There is no need to visit a program's web page to download and install it. Instead, you can use the Ubuntu Software Center tool (in previous versions, Add/Remove tool) to install programs available from a central Ubuntu repository. These programs will be updated as new versions are available in the repository, and the versions available have been tested by many users. This results in better security.

To access this tool, click "Applications" at the top-left of your screen. A menu will open, and at the very bottom you should see something like "Add/Remove Software." Click this. You may be asked for your password.

Type a program's name in the Search field to search for it. Check the box next to a program's name, and then click "OK" to install it. It's as simple as that!

i cant not open any of my cds

I need a bit more information. What kind of CDs are you trying to open? Music CDs, Data CDs, Ubuntu install CDs, what?

Again, thank you for your interest in Ubuntu! Good luck!

Edit: One more note about software installation in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not Windows, and special things must be installed for it to run Windows programs. If the programs you are trying to install are .exe's, please post more details, because we can help you try to install it, or (even better) find a similar replacement program that works.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

Ubuntu 6.06 is a very old version. If you can, I would suggest downloading and installing Ubuntu 10.04 (the latest version). You can find it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download).

No, no, no, no. 10.04 is development release! It's not stable AT ALL. 9.10 is the latest STABLE release.

ceramicm
November 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
No, no, no, no. 10.04 is development release! It's not stable AT ALL. 9.10 is the latest STABLE release.

Oh no! I'm sorry! Yes, 9.10 is the correct version (and what I meant to say). I had just finished reading an article about Lucid and was thinking it was 2010. ](*,)

Edit: I fixed it in my earlier post now. Thanks.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry! Yes, 9.10 is the correct version. I just finished reading an article about Lucid and was thinking it was 2010. ](*,) I fixed it in my earlier post now. Thanks.

:)

phillw
November 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Not wishing to nit-pick - but 9.04 is the last stable release. It was also the last to use Grub v1.

Updating both the linux system to 9.10, switching over to ext4 and putting your MBR into the hands of Grub2 is, IMHO, steps that should be taken one at a time.

10.04 is the next LTS, For an OP on 6, I'd really suggest backing up the data - running the computer with a LiveCD for a couple of days to make sure it is happy then doing a clean install & putting the data back onto the new install. LTS 8 is a good, stable one - just as we're so close to v10 I'm hanging on for Lucid.

Regards,

Phill.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Not wishing to nit-pick - but 9.04 is the last stable release. It was also the last to use Grub v1.

Updating both the linux system to 9.10, switching over to ext4 and putting your MBR into the hands of Grub2 is, IMHO, steps that should be taken one at a time.

10.04 is the next LTS, For an OP on 6, I'd really suggest backing up the data - running the computer with a LiveCD for a couple of days to make sure it is happy then doing a clean install & putting the data back onto the new install. LTS 8 is a good, stable one - just as we're so close to v10 I'm hanging on for Lucid.

Regards,

Phill.

Lucid will be epic :)

But personally I really like Karmic!

To be fair I don't think he could go far wrong with Jaunty or Karmic, or maybe even Hardy yeah :)