PDA

View Full Version : Suggest an MS Paint replacement for Linux

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Suggest a GNOME application that is a near replacement for MS Paint. Now that we might be getting rid of GIMP sooner than later, I think now is the time to work on finding and developing an easy Drawing App.

F-Spot is not a MS Paint replacement. Its a photo organizer with some photo editing features. One example is GPaint. But, it doesn't even stand anywhere close to MS Paint in terms of functionality. KolourPaint is good, but its KDE.

SumoPaint is a nice online image editor that feels close to MS Paint.

What do you suggest?

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Inkscape :)

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
gnome-paint if it ever gets anywhere.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1337370&highlight=gnome-paint

ZankerH
November 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
What's wrong with gimp? If you want, you can use it just like MSPaint and ignore all the advanced features.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
What's wrong with gimp? If you want, you can use it just like MSPaint and ignore all the advanced features.

Nothing is wrong with gimp, its just not what you would want to use for simple doodling.

speedwell68
November 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I use Kolourpaint 4 in Gnome it works perfectly well.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I use Kolourpaint 4 in Gnome it works perfectly well.

It would be nice to have something that could be installed by default in ubuntu though.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Now that we might be getting rid of GIMP sooner than later,
I think most people are just going to 'apt-get install gimp' if it's not included by default.

I use Kolourpaint 4
For some reason I never liked Kolourpaint.

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It would be nice to have something that could be installed by default in ubuntu though.
Absolutely

Nothing is wrong with gimp, its just not what you would want to use for simple doodling.
Well put. GIMP has too much. Would have been nice to see GPaint get somewhere.. It's GUI looks like its stuck with Win98.

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Inkscape :)
You serious, man?

gnomeuser
November 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I would be interested in seeing where paint-mono (the paint.net mono port) could take that codebase, sadly upstream has changed the license so there won't be much cooperation, at least not till an agreement can be worked out to let contributions flow back and forth while providing reassurance for the cases the original developer is concerned about.

Irihapeti
November 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I quite like mtPaint. It's in the Universe repository.

Since I'm still running Hardy, I get the latest file from the developer's website.

Dark Aspect
November 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
If you have any version of windows why not just use mspaint via wine?

If you have windows 3.1 you can run an old version of mspaint via dosbox for fun.

clanky
November 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Why would anyone want a replacement for paint, it's horrible!

As much as the gimp is unwieldy, bloated and hideous at least it is better at doing just about everything that paint can do than paint.

If you just want to do basic drawings then OOo draw produces reasonable results easily.

TheLions
November 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
inkscape :)

+1

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM

As much as the gimp is unwieldy, bloated and hideous at least it is better at doing just about everything that paint can do than paint.

If you just want to do basic drawings then OOo draw produces reasonable results easily.
Tried OOo draw. It doesn't do what I need. Many here will agree MS Paint has decent basic functionality. Or do a search for "MS Paint" in these forums, and come back to this threa.d

Bölvağur
November 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
There is no need for any easy... ..colouring...(what ever paint is supposed to do).

Give a reason for why there is any use for such software to be installed by default.
Write a use case that involves paint-like software so that we can say : "is that really what most people do?" and then move to another thread and let this one sink to the bottom of the heap.

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
If you have any version of windows why not just use mspaint via wine?

If you have windows 3.1 you can run an old version of mspaint via dosbox for fun.
Its not just about me, I am talking about a general paint app that would be installed by default with Ubuntu.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM
TuxPaint!
I have to admit, I actually discovered that app recently and wasted about an hour playing with it :b

quinnten83
November 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM
tuxpaint!
I have to admit, i actually discovered that app recently and wasted about an hour playing with it :b

+1

dragos240
November 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
kolourpaint. I always use it as a replacement for paint.

sertse
November 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM
mtpaint

It'm darn amzzing what it does with pretty much just gtk as deps. (as a guide.., less than paint.net but *much* more than ms paint etc...) If only it's interface looked slightly more modern, I'll be advocating it for default installs.

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I see this so often. For the likes of me I cant understand why someone would want to use MS paint.. GIMP is a thousand times better and NOT hard for simple mundane task that MSP would do.

When I was in college 10 years ago, I was asked to create a website for my finale exam in web class. Only graphics tool I was given to use was MSP. I was in HELL!

hellmet
November 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Gimp is no longer installed by default, my friend. That is why.

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ubuntu no longer ships with GIMP? WTF... LMAO..
I had no idea.. OMG.. Thats so f'n stupid!

GO GO DEV'TARDS!

Jazzy_Jeff
November 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Easy enough to install from the repos.

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM
A lot of people dont have highspeed inet. In addition it was one for the premiere programs on the distro to show to new users. Removing it is a over all bad move..

hellmet
November 27th, 2009, 12:09 AM
What about those without Internet, and how about downloading and installing it each time you use a Live-Cd? You would surely want to have a replacement for Gimp. And if Ubuntu Developers think GIMP is too advanced, give us something simple. Go ahead and develop GNU Paint. Its development is slower than a snail. It doesn't even have an UNDO option!

mejy
November 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
You serious, man?

Unless you want to specifically draw pixel by pixel (which I think is of limited use), I find Inkscape a lot easier to use for an equivalent task then paint and non-destructive editing makes it far more practical for most use tasks.

However, I do feel it's much too big and complex for a typical install and is in that sense no better than the GIMP. I just don't feel the difficulty of "sudo apt-get install gimp" is enough of a justification to include a clone of an MS app that is ridiculously feature sparse.

If somebody could come up with a good combination of Inkscape, the GIMP ad MS Paint that was simple and powerful and wholly support its inclusion - but it seems like a direct clone is of extremely limited use (kids and those making scrappy diagrams).

Swagman
November 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I wish someone would port/create True Brilliance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliance_%28graphics_editor%29) for Linux

Warpnow
November 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
KolourPaint is obviously the closest.

I prefer mtpaint or tuxpaint more though.

23dornot23d
November 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
ShowFoto ..... actually has all the tools in it for anyone wanting quick edits .......

It includes Frames and Text plus crop - and it works very quickly too .......

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vuyqu8.jpg

Although .... this too would need modifications .... for normal paint applications ....

Then there is Gimp .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330937&page=40

anomalousclouds
November 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM

For me, it's just for stupid doodling. I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 now for a little over a week, and it did come with Gimp (and Gimp is pretty damn nice...) but there is sometimes that urge to just making some stupid doodles that aren't serious in any way. I also for better or worse grew up on Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, so I'll have to see how that works in WINE. (Haven't tried anything in WINE yet...)

As what's been stated: Kolourpaint looks the most like MSPaint, mtpaint follows that same "super-simple" layout, and then I also like rgbpaint which is super, super simple. UIs aside, they all seem perfect for simple doodling, haha.

J05HYYY
October 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM
What is needed is a gtk+ MS paint clone, that'll be the day.:(

alexan
October 20th, 2010, 07:05 AM
MyPaint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRa3sESIKc)

or better example (on Ubuntu) here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85WBgaPyJLQ)
Other example: on (real) linux cellphone (N900) here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E)

What is needed is a gtk+ MS paint clone, that'll be the day.:(
We need something in the spirit of Ubuntu: better than MS-Stuff.

Slug71
October 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Pinta?

Half-Left
October 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
My 4 year old can draw in GIMP, so what's the problem?

Just customise the interface to your needs.

TBABill
October 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
My kids wanted one like Paint and I installed Pencil. It's in the repos and is so simple a small child can figure it out with a few clicks and tries. Very nice for easy MS Paint type projects.

J05HYYY
October 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
We need something in the spirit of Ubuntu: better than MS-Stuff.

GTK+ MS paint clone in the spirit of Ubuntu (open-source under GPL).

I'm sorry but for simplicity, in my opinion, nothing beats MS paint.

It rocks :guitar: but has evil licensing :mad:.

whiskeylover
October 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM
My 4 year old can draw in GIMP, so what's the problem?

Just customise the interface to your needs.

Good for your kid. But GIMP scares off an average computer user. I'm a programmer and an advanced computer user, and also a painter (not a computer artist, but the pencil, paper and oil colors kind,) but I can't for the life of me use GIMP properly, or Photoshop for that matter. For simple doodling, there should be an MS Paint type program for the average user.

Simian Man
October 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Gimp is horrible, even drawing lines is hard if you don't already know how to! I actually started a project aimed at exactly this called Congo Paint (http://code.google.com/p/congo-paint/). Unfortunately, it's in an incomplete state, and I am hammered with work for a long time to come. This is a real need though.

limestone
October 20th, 2010, 08:58 PM
gnome-paint (under develop)
http://code.google.com/p/gnome-paint/

jbal
October 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the plug pont.anderson
Look for gnome-paint-0.4 hopefully within the next week or two:)