PDA

View Full Version : Where has KiwiNZ been

KiwiNZ
January 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Hi folks

Sorry I did not have the opportunity to advise what I was doing . After my family was injured in the Tsunami and what I saw when I went there to find them, I needed to help . So I took leave without pay and returned to the region to help.
I retuned this weekend .

I am very tired but happy that I was able to help those who had done so much to help my family .

It will take a long time for the memories to fade if ever . The terrible sights I have seen . The sheer enormity of the destruction and loss of life .

I will never forget the man I met driving along the coast , he was sitting alone on a log , A look so blank , I have never seen before . We stooped to see if we could help . He was nearly all that was left of his village. Everyone he knew was gone. He was alone , totally alone . He had absolutley nothing left. What can you say to some one in that state , what comfort can you give . We sat with him for a hour or so and looked out to sea. We helped him build a little memorial to his family, we embraced and left him to his grieving . I wonder what happened to him , will he ever find happiness again .

I have shed so many tears over that last few weeks I wonder if I have any tears left.
But then I remember the children, the children that have no families , no homes , but yet they can laugh , they can play and they sing .And I think there is their hope .

Once again I am sorry I left without notice , but I am back and will try to do my bit .

Regards

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 06:01 PM
I will never forget the man I met driving along the coast , he was sitting alone on a log , A look so blank , I have never seen before . We stooped to see if we could help . He was nearly all that was left of his village. Everyone he knew was gone. He was alone , totally alone . He had absolutley nothing left. What can you say to some one in that state , what comfort can you give . We sat with him for a hour or so and looked out to sea. We helped him build a little memorial to his family, we embraced and left him to his grieving . I wonder what happened to him , will he ever find happiness again .

Thanks for this bit. You get so used to seeing pain on the TV during a wartime- it just all doesn't seem that real. This really hit home for me, the personal story that is too hard for the news to tell.

Welcome back to the forums. Hopefully the pain will begin to heal for you, and time will work its magic for those like this man who have lost everything.

Nothing makes you appriciate what you have like hearing that despite our smug comfort, it might all go away.