PDA

View Full Version : Macbuntu

Penguin Guy
November 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I was wondering, why hasn't a version of Ubuntu been made that looks like a Mac? I would love to have something that looks like a Mac, not only because I like the look of them, but I hate having to explain what Linux is every time someone glances at my computer screen. I know you get transformation packs like Mac4Lin, but they're a pain in the **** to install, so I was wondering - would it be possible? Would there be a problem with copyright issues? How can I make this happen?

From the poll and the replies it turns out the Mac look just isn't popular enough to warrant a new Ubuntu distribution - I'd be overjoyed if someone made one, but in all likelihood, this will never happen. I have learnt what I wanted, but please feel free to continue discussing the matter.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
There are far better things to do in your free time, like doing nothing.

dragos240
November 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
NO! There are many many mac themes on gnome look. Too many. We do not need an ubuntu clone that just replicates the look of a mac.

LowSky
November 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Apple is sue happy, its best not to take on that giant.

Just build your own, and stop explaining yourself.

heres mine, if they ask I say its Ubuntu Linux, and that I don't use Windows because I don't want viruses. Simple as that.

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Could we have the makings of the first poll with universal agreement?

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Nah, someone will vote yes just for the sake of being different lol.

ZankerH
November 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't use it and would actively try to scare people away from it, but feel free to make one.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Somebody voted yes, and it wasn't me.

schauerlich
November 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't use it and would actively try to scare people away from it, but feel free to make one.

Freedom™ is the only way!

Paqman
November 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Check gnome-look.org. At last count it was 82% Macalike themes, 14% Vistalike themes, and 3% uninstallable garbage, and 1% other stuff.

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
4 ( including me ) / 17 - why so many of you don't want to see it happening ?

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM

And I bet everyone would be scared and listen to you

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Because there are already a million *buntu clones. There already LOTS of mac-look-a-like themes out there.

Why make a fork for something that already esixts in the wild, that can easily be gotten?

e-Gee
November 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ubuntu looks better than Mac

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu looks better than Mac

lol

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Because there are already a million *buntu clones. There already LOTS of mac-look-a-like themes out there.
Why make a fork for something that already esixts in the wild, that can easily be gotten?

You can make your distro look like you want because you know how to. Now, what if you don't ? What if a new user porting from MAC to Ubuntu would like to see the exact same interface without going through hundreds of tutorials and gnom-look pages ?
I think even if someone would make this happen, it would attract more people than another Zenix-kind distro.

ZankerH
November 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
And I bet everyone would be scared and listen to you

That isn't the issue.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Dream Linux. I think that's meant to be Mac-like.

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You can make your distro look like you want because you know how to. Now, what if you don't ? What if a new user porting from MAC to Ubuntu would like to see the exact same interface without going through hundreds of tutorials and gnom-look pages ?
I think even if someone would make this happen, it would attract more people than another Zenix-kind distro.

If they want the exact same thing, why are they switching in the first place?

the8thstar
November 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The Mac4Lin project is the best example that I can think of a desktop conversion to Mac.

Check it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin/

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Do people switch distros because of how they look ?

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM

They ran out of money? lol

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM

MacOSX isn't a distro.

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM

I repeat why make a fork for something as KISS as different themes? Hmmm? A great deal of trouble etc-for some themes?

You could just make a meta-package that calls in the theme features you want.

I could make Ubuntu Vegan Edition. Why though? To include that Vegan cookbook app, and change the default theme to green? When I could just go to Synaptic and grab the packages and install them over vanilla Ubuntu.

It is great that you want to help Ubuntu...but furthering the Ubuntu Clone problem doesn't do that. There are bugs 5+ years old that haven't been fixed, and the Ubuntu devs are too busy making things like notifications systems to fix them...

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Possible legal issues for one.

Penguin Guy
November 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I repeat why make a fork for something as KISS as different themes? Hmmm? A great deal of trouble etc-for some themes?

You could just make a meta-package that calls in the theme features you want.

I could make Ubuntu Vegan Edition. Why though? To include that Vegan cookbook app, and change the default theme to green? When I could just go to Synaptic and grab the packages and install them over vanilla Ubuntu.
If making a new distro isn't a good idea they may as well improve Mac4Lin a bit and add it to the repo's, make it nice and easy so you can just run a command like sudo apt-get install macify which'l download Mac4Lin and run the install scripts - instantly converting your computer to a Mac. Wouldn't be hard to do either.

V for Vincent
November 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
This is kind of absurd. There are tons of themes. There's even one for epidermis, doesn't get much easier than that...

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Possible legal issues for one.

Hmm .. At least 1 possible reason for why it shouldn't be made.
Between, is MAC OSX look ( visual part of the OS .. panel, buttons, etc. ) patented or trademarked ?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Answered already.

NO! There are many many mac themes on gnome look. Too many. We do not need an ubuntu clone that just replicates the look of a mac.

And I agree completely.

speedwell68
November 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
If people want a GUI that looks like a Mac, XP, Vista or W7 then they should run a Mac, XP, Vista or W7, simples.

supermelon928
November 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
heres mine, if they ask I say its Ubuntu Linux, and that I don't use Windows because I don't want viruses. Simple as that.

You...have Chrome...for Linux? Or are you using it through Wine?

Anyway, OP: You can pretty easily make it look like mac at first glance. Say you did it the way LowSky did, you could edit the **** out of the top bar, change the colors, etc. etc. until it looks like you want.

e-Gee
November 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Let's make Playboybuntu it would be just like Ubuntu only it will have better looking wallpapers \\:D/

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Anyway, OP: You can pretty easily make it look like mac at first glance. Say you did it the way LowSky did, you could edit the **** out of the top bar, change the colors, etc. etc. until it looks like you want.

You don't know you can use Chrome/Chromium on Linux?

Eagles18
November 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I would definitely like a distro that looks like the Mac OS,but I would only use it if it is as good as Ubuntu 9.10.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
let's make playboybuntu it would be just like ubuntu only it will have better looking wallpapers \\:d/

:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Lol like 10 edits later and the **** stars finally work!

squilookle
November 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I do actually think alot of the Linux distributions out look better than the mac - especially the ones using KDE 4.

I used to think that Macs were great and I did want one at one point. Then I actually got to use one and I found out that it is just a computer, and not really anything special.

The great thing about Linux is that you can customise it.

As many people have said in this thread, there are plenty of Mac look-a-like themes out there. You could also install something like Cairo Dock, to get the Mac like dock. For that bar on the top, I know KDE 3 used to have a MacOS like mode - not sure if KDE 4 does that or not.

Tibuda
November 26th, 2009, 08:54 PM

http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu/ for Chromium
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel for Google Chrome

kommunisti
November 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Because apple sucks.

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Because apple sucks.

Good reason

lsk3993
November 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Good reason
+1 -Enough said

Chronon
November 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM

If the look doesn't matter then why work to erect a facade that looks like a different OS?

Chronon
November 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hmm .. At least 1 possible reason for why it shouldn't be made.
Between, is MAC OSX look ( visual part of the OS .. panel, buttons, etc. ) patented or trademarked ?

The graphics are copyrighted. You cannot reuse any of the actual graphics to construct a theme. Constructing your own graphics that simulate the look of Apple's graphics might be okay, but it's a bit legally shaky as well. Derivatives based on copyrighted works are not necessarily protected.

I should clarify that you can do whatever you like for private use. These restrictions apply if you wish to publish graphics, themes, etc. that use derivative media.

Bölvağur
November 26th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Just build your own, and stop explaining yourself.

there is a good how-to about it. it's very easy to make your own distro. the difficult part is getting people to use it, specially when there is as little change as in just the theme.

Penguin Guy
November 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
there is a good how-to about it. it's very easy to make your own distro. the difficult part is getting people to use it, specially when there is as little change as in just the theme.
Then there's the distribution, support, etc. It's a lot of work.