PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best customizable blogging platform?

jeyaganesh
November 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have used both Blogger.com and Wordpress.com. Wordpress gives more freedom to choose lot of layouts and to change header picture.

I am looking for some blogging platform that allow me to add my own background picture. I also like to use wider layout something like Ubuntu forums and wikipedia websites.

Because most of the blog layouts are too narrow like cell phone screens.:D

Is there any good blogging platform with good customization supports? Or it can only be done with HTML and CSS?

Thanks in advance!
Jay

Frak
November 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Is there any good blogging platform with good customization supports? Or it can only be done with HTML and CSS?

Sounds like you want something like this: http://www.getpixie.co.uk/

EDIT
Sorry, I thought you wanted something that was mainly customized through CSS, which Pixie is. For everything else, I recommend Wordpress. It is EXTREMELY powerful.

cb951303
November 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
what you're looking for is tumblr.com
you can design your own layout from scratch with only CSS and HTML
check out their documentation and theme gallery :KS

edit: here is the documentation for custom themes http://www.tumblr.com/docs/custom_themes

Maheriano
November 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Wordpress themes come in all widths, check out mine at www.danmaher.com. There are also plugins for galleries (like on my site), forums, guestbooks, everything. I don't know of anything more customizable than Wordpress, if you haven't realized its potential, start looking at some more themes.

phrostbyte
November 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Blogger gives you access to the HTML/CSS also.

jeyaganesh
November 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I don't know of anything more customizable than Wordpress, if you haven't realized its potential, start looking at some more themes.

what you're looking for is tumblr.com
you can design your own layout from scratch with only CSS and HTML

Thanks for your nice replies. I just saw Maheriano's blog. It looks good. Problem is, I dont know HTML and CSS.

Some one should make blog making easier like iWeb. I would like to have few buttons and text boxes instead of <> and {}:D

Frak
November 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Some one should make blog making easier like iWeb. I would like to have few buttons and text boxes instead of <> and {}:D

http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/58-html-css-the-very-basics/

HTML and CSS are dead simple compared to say, C. You can get a pretty firm grasp of HTML and CSS if you stick with it for a week.

juancarlospaco
November 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
a DIY blogging platform...

aysiu
November 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
If you're using wordpress.com then there will be limitations on how much you can customize it without paying more.

If, however, you're using wordpress.org to install the Wordpress software on your own server, then you can do whatever you want for free. It can be customized any way you want it to be.

jeyaganesh
November 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
[url]
HTML and CSS are dead simple compared to say, C. You can get a pretty firm grasp of HTML and CSS if you stick with it for a week.

Thanks. I have learnt C when I did my Masters as an ancillary subject. I could learn HTML and CSS. I will try it in my free time.:D

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I have used both Blogger.com and Wordpress.com. Wordpress gives more freedom to choose lot of layouts and to change header picture.

I am looking for some blogging platform that allow me to add my own background picture. I also like to use wider layout something like Ubuntu forums and wikipedia websites.

Because most of the blog layouts are too narrow like cell phone screens.:D

Thanks in advance!
Jay

Google Wave - Or it should be a good option at some point. Someone even developed a extension that allows waves to be posted on a webpage...still waiting for Google or someone to implement a option that allows you to lock your replies though. Google Wave is sandboxed atm though.

jeyaganesh
November 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I am not yet explored much about gwave. For me, now it is just looks like an instant messenger.

Maheriano
November 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your nice replies. I just saw Maheriano's blog. It looks good. Problem is, I dont know HTML and CSS.

But that's the point of Wordpress! Here's what I did to make that site:

- downloaded wordpress from wordpress.org
- uploaded those files (unmodified) to my server
- ran the wordpress install which is GUI based
- went to wordpress.org and found that template, downloaded it
- uploaded the template to my server
- logged into Wordpress and selected the new template

That's it, I didn't change any HTML/CSS at all. Everything is theme based so you just download a theme you like and select it in the admin section of your website. Web design isn't about custom code anymore.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 03:47 AM
I actually found that Blogger is MORE customizable then Wordpress.

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
You are CLEARLY doing it wrong. Seriously, if you find Blogger more customizable than Wordpress, you must not dive very deep into customizability.

ElSlunko
December 1st, 2009, 04:08 AM
Wordpress is probably the best route for you to go. Lots of things get done automagically and look pretty neat! Check out my sig for example.

aysiu
December 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Are you using the free account hosted at Wordpress.com, or are you using the free Wordpress blogging software downloadable from Wordpress.org?

If it's the latter, there is almost no limit to what you can customize.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
You are CLEARLY doing it wrong. Seriously, if you find Blogger more customizable than Wordpress, you must not dive very deep into customizability.Anything is possible but perhaps your doing Blogger wrong?

Are you using the free account hosted at Wordpress.com, or are you using the free Wordpress blogging software downloadable from Wordpress.org?

If it's the latter, there is almost no limit to what you can customize....but I find no limits with blogger.

I have only used the free wordpress blog that comes from my University and found limitations or perhaps I just didn't dig that deeply into it?

Again, I have yet to find any so called limitations with blogger, I usually go to blogger dashboard>layout>edit HTML> and hand edit the code as needed...I'm not sure where people are finding limitations with Blogger?

aysiu
December 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure where people are finding limitations with Blogger? And I'm not sure where you're finding limitations in Wordpress.

What can't you do?

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM
Anything is possible but perhaps your doing Blogger wrong?

...but I find no limits with blogger.

I have only used the free wordpress blog that comes from my University and found limitations or perhaps I just didn't dig that deeply into it?

Again, I have yet to find any so called limitations with blogger, I usually go to blogger dashboard>layout>edit HTML> and hand edit the code as needed...I'm not sure where people are finding limitations with Blogger?

The point of Wordpress is that you can modify it in any way you want. Wordpress is limitless in design. I have used it in dozens of client projects, and in each one, I have changed the codebase to fit the need. I LOVE Wordpress for that reason.

EDIT
And the code is CLEAN. It's extremely easy to read. Wordpress is the epitome of what Open Source projects should aim to be.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM
And I'm not sure where you're finding limitations in Wordpress.

What can't you do?aysui, perhaps there aren't limitations and I may not have dug that deeply into it...but after logging in I am missing where to hand edit the code. It must be here somewhere?

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 05:47 AM
aysui, perhaps there aren't limitations and I have may not have dug that deeply into it...but after logging in I am missing where to hand edit the code. It must be here somewhere?
You can edit the current theme in the dashboard. Be aware, it's going to give you the full source code. That includes the HTML + PHP code.

Bezmotivnik
December 1st, 2009, 06:11 AM
I have only used the free wordpress blog that comes from my University
This is your problem.

You need to <snip> go to wordpress.org and download their blog software] and look at the various themes that are available, about a million of them.

There are dozens of free website hosts where you can install and maintain your blog without the restrictions & costs of wordpress.com

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
You can edit the current theme in the dashboard. Be aware, it's going to give you the full source code. That includes the HTML + PHP code.
HTML + PHP is Okay but I think the option has been removed as an option by the University I go to, I can only select pre-assigned themes, no where to edit the code!

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
HTML + PHP is Okay but I think the option has been removed as an option by the University I go to, I can only select pre-assigned themes, no where to edit the code!
OK, look at the post above you.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
This is your problem.

You need to (THREE TIMES NOW) go to wordpress.ORG and download their blog software and look at the various themes that are available, about a million of them.

There are dozens of free website hosts where you can install and maintain your blog without the restrictions & costs of wordpress.COMOkay but...I am completely happy with blogger and see no limitations to edit the code what-so-ever...I am forced to use wordpress by my University with Student Groups that I am president/founder of.

btw closer inspection of the University Wordpress blogs has disabled customization of HTML + PHP or installing any other themes then the ones pre-selected as far as I can tell.

Guys honestly $10 bucks a year to pay for a domain through Google, partnered with eNom...and fully customizable with Blogger and have it bundled with Google apps and gmail for the domain. I honestly find little incentive to jump on the Wordpress bandwagon...

Again...the University blog host which is Wordpress only gives me 19 themes to choose, there is no function to upload custom theme or write my own.

Please I may be missing something here but I have yet to find a way to customize Wordpress and NO the university will not allow me to go to wordpress.ORG and download their blog software to their servers.

Sorry gents but in this matter Wordpress is severely limited and my Student Group would not be valid with another blog domain beyond http:// blogs.my university.edu/ the Student Group would simply lack credibility.

To clarify:

1. I use Blogger for my personal blogs and am completely happy with Blogger and have no desire to change.

2. I use Wordpress for my University hosted blogs for my student groups, this is not by choice but by default. Customization has been disabled by the University, or so it would seem.

LookTJ
December 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
http://php.opensourcecms.com/ something to choose to your liking :)