PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Look and Feel

jadhav333
November 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Ubuntu has nice graphics (fonts, effects, Ui elements, and stuff) but it doesn't appear to match the smooth, pleasing aesthetic that Apple achieves in its mac range of products.. )

Is there some way we can achieve nice smooth graphics.. and I dont mean to emulate Apple.. or Use Compiz and stuff.. just nicely designed icons, menu elements, etc..

(I use gnome.. but I have also checked KDE which seems to lean towards the windows look and feel)

Any suggestions..

Pls let us not get into a linux vs mac / windows kind of debate.. only helpful suggestions are welcome..

MelDJ
November 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
you could try emerald to make the windows look better
to install just type sudo apt-get install emerald

veli
November 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu has nice graphics (fonts, effects, Ui elements, and stuff) but it doesn't appear to match the smooth, pleasing aesthetic that Apple achieves in its mac range of products.. )

Is there some way we can achieve nice smooth graphics.. and I dont mean to emulate Apple.. or Use Compiz and stuff.. just nicely designed icons, menu elements, etc..

(I use gnome.. but I have also checked KDE which seems to lean towards the windows look and feel)

Any suggestions..

Pls let us not get into a linux vs mac / windows kind of debate.. only helpful suggestions are welcome..

Use Apple then.

MelDJ
November 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Use Apple then.

didn't read the last line of the op's post?

jadhav333
November 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
didn't read the last line of the op's post?

Thanks MelDJ.. :-)

Any links to emerald screenshots?? I shall google it as well.. before I go for the install..

@Veli I might actually use Apple someday.. when I can afford it.. he he he..

veli
November 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks MelDJ.. :-)

Any links to emerald screenshots?? I shall google it as well.. before I go for the install..

@Veli I might actually use Apple someday.. when I can afford it.. he he he..

no offense man. I have one Mac around, you miss nothing. You'll need some time to get accustomed to Ubuntu look.

Jim_in_Germany
November 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM
If you do install Emerald, a nice theme to start with is this one:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Perfection+Window+Decoration?content=115416
Also, try using AWN as a mac like dock.
You can download themes for AWN on the above mentioned site too.
AWN: http://wiki.awn-project.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Jim_in_Germany
November 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Any links to emerald screenshots??

Emerald in itself is just a theme manager, install it by typing "sudo apt-get install emerald".

Then search this site for a them you like:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/search.php?xsortmode=new&search=1&type=103&name=&user=&text=&sort=0&scorefilter=0&license=99&page=1

Once you have found one, download it and then double click on it. Emerald should then open straight away and you can customize the theme even further.
I should also imagine that you will need a half-decent graphics card and desktop effects enabled.

Nburnes
November 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Any suggestions..

With specs like yours, why don't you try hackintoshing?

jadhav333
November 27th, 2009, 04:35 AM
With specs like yours, why don't you try hackintoshing?

hackintoshing?

Greenwidth
November 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
http://gnome-look.org/

MelDJ
November 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM
ihackinstosh is illegal ;)
+1 to gnomelook.

you can just go there and install a mac theme