PDA

View Full Version : Install on HD < 2GB

rufus25
November 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I just got an old 'Asus Eee PC 2G Surf' from a friend and tried to install UNR on it. Problem is the 2GB harddrive isn't big enough so I get errors while trying to install.

I tried to install anyway which seems to work and then removing components, but after a while it chrashed on me (just halted). When I try to start it it throws me an 'Error: 2'.

Is there a way to install the UNR on 2 GB drive? Maybe without all the packages I doesn't need anyway?

darkod
November 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I don't know for sure, but Xubuntu seems to be better for small size drives than UNR. UNR is not that small as an installation space. Check Xubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/xubuntu

It says at least 1.5GB of free space so it should work.

rufus25
November 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Good idea, will try. Can I install the components for the UNR Desktop later manually? I use the Asus for my father and I would really like to have the UNR interface instead of the normal desktop.

darkod
November 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think that package is called netbook-launcher but I haven't used Xubuntu and I don't know if it can be just "installed". You could always try.
The limited hdd space might limit you which packages you can add of course.

rufus25
December 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I tried to install Xubunt, but it fails. The website states it needs 1,5 GB to install, seems outdated cause 2GB was not enough. Same goes for eeebuntu (base).

If someone want to try this, best way to go would be a minimal install from the alternate CD and then work your way from there.

I grabbed an 8GB SD card from a friend and will try to installed UNR there.