PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kosmic Login for Demo

brightthings
November 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I've searched around and haven't found any info. Maybe it's so obvious to everyone else. I've got the Live CD up and running and have a login screen, but I have no idea what the login details are. I don't remember other Live CDs requiring this.

I'm not new to Ubuntu but how is a new user, trying out Linux for the first time, going to feel when faced with this?

Can anyone give me the login?

dhavalbbhatt
November 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I don't believe you should have a login window if you are using a LiveCD. Do you know if the CD doesn't have any problems? Can you even see any options (like install on computer, use Ubuntu without installing on your computer, test CD for defects, etc.?) before getting the login window? If so, try checking the CD for defects. Also, did you do a MD5Check on the CD?

brightthings
November 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I recently download the desktop i386 ISO from the Ubuntu site and burned it to CD, using Disc Burner in Jaunty. When I boot from the disk I do get the options screen. Then if I choose the demo mode, it loads for a long time before showing the login screen.

I've done further searching and one forum at http://old.nabble.com/demo-username-and-password-td20328024.html suggests that if you burn a disc too fast, this login problem can happen. It's bizarre! But maybe that has something to do with it.

I can't get past the login screen. But maybe I should just install and be done with it...

UPDATE

I burned another disk, but more slowly, and same thing. I'm getting I/O errors and Authentication Failures. It could be a problem with the laptop, which has been playing up. Even when I try to install, I'm getting the same thing, just a login screen.

Not to worry. I'll do a MD5Check and if nothing there maybe get the laptop looked at.
Thanks again.