PDA

View Full Version : My collection of reasons.

Colo2
November 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM
http://wingoes.blogspot.com/
Linux deserves a place in society.

Wingoes has a growing collection of amusing dialog, facts and general info. Helping people understand why Linux is much better than Windows for quality.

http://wingoes.blogspot.com/

clanky
November 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
A lot of invalid arguments on both sides.

Why can't people just use what works for them? I mostly use windows, but I don't feel the need to evangelise and tell people that it is somehow "better" than Linux, the guy who you responded to was talking out of his *** about why Linux sucks, there are things about Linux which for me make Windows the better alternative, but the guy was just making stuff up and then quoting it as fact.

Equally what was the point in you making a blog about why Linux is "better" than Windows, if you like it use it, some other people prefer / need to use windows, why should that require a blog?

madnessjack
November 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
You can't compare Windows to Linux

Colo2
November 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey
I am happy to hear how content you are with both systems.
I have experienced alot of arrogance towards Linux from Windows users and I didn't really want to let them carry on. I understand that it is a matter of preferance as to which system you choose.
The blog is there if anyone wants to read it, I am not forcing you to, and more to the point, I am not forcing you to like it
Thanks for the comment ;)

Tom

madnessjack
November 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
True, you are allowed to preach your opinions (hey, what are blogs for!) :)

I think you need to focus more on the reality. Windows is the leader in desktop OSes. Linux doesn't have the advantage of hardware manufacturers working with it. This isn't Linux's fault or the making of pure evil on behalf of Microsoft, it's just life!

Server wise Linux does indeed blossom, because it's cheaper to deploy (but is it cheaper to train?)

Discuss both sides. Cite your sources too. Explain your opinions.

Colo2
November 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I think you need to focus more on the reality. Windows is the leader in desktop OSes. Linux doesn't have the advantage of hardware manufacturers working with it. This isn't Linux's fault or the making of pure evil on behalf of Microsoft, it's just life!

Server wise Linux does indeed blossom, because it's cheaper to deploy (but is it cheaper to train?)

Thanks ;) I will do that

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer#Modern_supercomputer_architecture

Kind of hard to have a AV running when your computing at this level.

koshatnik
November 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Apps matter, OS's don't.

I choose a games console based on the games I want to play, not on the inherent qualities of the hardware.

clanky
November 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Apps matter, OS's don't.

I choose a games console based on the games I want to play, not on the inherent qualities of the hardware.

Yes and no.

Yes apps are the most important feature, no matter how good the OS is it's absolutely no use if there are no decent applications which allow you to do the things that you need to do. This is the main reason why, for me, Windows remains my predominant OS and will do so until there is a decent CAD package for Linux.

No the OS is important too, apps can only be as good as the OS allows them to be and will only run as reliably as the OS, again for me this is the reason why I don't ditch Linux altogether and only use Windows, I think Linux has the potential to be so much better than Windows, I think the base platform (basically the kernel) is awesome I just don't see it moving forward in terms of usefulness.

pwnst*r
November 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
that twitter link in your sig is complete crap.