PDA

View Full Version : The brain test

Pasdar
November 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
In the following video you see a woman turning. Which direction do you see her turning, clockwise OR counter-clockwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CEr2GfGilw&feature=related

disable audio, it might distract you. :)

texpat
November 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Clockwise at first, but then she started turning counter-clockwise. After a while I found that I could see her turning any way I wanted. Need to concentrate for that, though.

lisati
November 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I think she was looking for another thread about her in the forums.

cdwillis
November 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I saw it as rotating clockwise. I stared at it and that's all I could see. I just don't see how anyone could see it going the other way. It IS turning clockwise.

Pasdar
November 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Which way you see it turning depends on which side of your brain you predominantly use.

Grenage
November 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Indeed; I know that I am very right-sided, so it comes as no surprise to me that I cannot see her turning anti-clockwise.

clanky
November 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I can pretty much see her as turning whichever way I try to, takes a bit of concentration though, once I get one way going it is hard to make her look like she is going the other way. Neither way seems to be easier than the other, though she was turning anti-clockwise for me at first.

cdwillis
November 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Which way you see it turning depends on which side of your brain you predominantly use.

Yes, I understand that. I guess I'm so right sided that I can't see it the other way.

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I voted Clockwise, but was I the only one that noticed the silhouette had nipples?

EDIT:
This test is crazy. I normally see her as moving clockwise. But if a FF the video to the end where the video helps you see her moving anti-clockwise then I RW back and all I see is her moving anti-clockwise. Then I cant see her any other way. Even leaving the PC and coming back. But if I FF to the clockwise help in the video its the same problem. I can then only see her moving clockwise again.. My brain is goo...

Zoot7
November 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I've seen this on my own forum before.
It's meant to see whether you favour logical thought over emotionally inspired thought, how valid it is, is another thing entirely.

Anyway, clockwise is the only direction I can make out. :)

RabbitWho
November 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Clockwise, though it took me about 30 seconds for me to work out which was clockwise and which was anticlockwise... I had to make one hand spin around the other in the same way, then rotate that so it would be like a clock face, then go and find a clock and look at what way the hands were going.
I have serious problems identifying right vs. left and clockwise vs. anticlockwise is a pretty strange and abstract concept to me.

I have no idea how she could possibly be turning the other way... i just can't see it that way.. is it a trick? can ANYONe see her turning the other way?

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

That's me all right. Appart from spatial perception of course.. I can't tell a2 from a3 from a1 paper unless i hold them all up next to each other.

rJ~
November 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I voted both, but counter-clockwise was the first thing I saw when I opened the link.

If you don't focus on the picture and imagine the woman turning the other way, it should be easy to see when you refocus on the picture.

There's a .gif version here for people without flash: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615

RabbitWho
November 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-yhtXAzYwc&feature=related

Okay now i understand.

When i look at the sillouette again.. i can't make her start turning the other way by using logic.. i say okay one time the leg passes over the other in at this angle... then the other way it passes over the other way.. and i try to make it pas over the other way.. and.. i can't.. but then it just switches by itself for no reason... weird.
Anybody have a cat? show it to your cat see what he says.

Grenage
November 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Anybody have a cat? show it to your cat see what he says.

I cannot fully express how much I want to live in your world.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
clockwise at first but I can make her turn anyway I want. I can't stop her though. I tried but I just can't. :mad:

Pasdar
November 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
One should be possible to stop her... if you can control your brain enough to see what is actually being displayed to you.

ve4cib
November 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Staring straight at the image it went clockwise. When I looked at it peripherally it was anti-clockwise.

Interestingly enough when they added the helpful white lines to help force your brain to see it spinning a certain way it didn't help at all; it just looked like a see-through shape spinning (anti-)clockwise.

gn2
November 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I can see her turning in either direction at will, but at first she turns clockwise.
My wife is the same.

ZankerH
November 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Clockwise AND I don't have flash.

youtube-dl + mplayer

hobo14
November 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I find it interesting that the text with the video said most people see counter-clockwise, but there are zero votes for it here?

koenn
November 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
clockwise

buy I can make her change direction by focusing on the shadows of the feet - it's pretty easy to 'force' a change of direction there, and then the rest follows.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I can't see her moving clockwise no matter how hard I try. I think its a conspiracy. They randomly switch up the video for different people. XD

Update: This is definitely bogus. According to this I am right brained but I have all of the characteristics of a left brainer.

thegreenblob
November 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I seen it moving clockwise at first, but after awhile I could make it move which way I wanted.

But according to this quiz: http://www.web-us.com/BRAIN/braindominance.htm the left side of my brain is the dominant side.

H4F
November 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
well for me its a clock wise . and I can't think of anti-clock wise.
QUESTION

the shade of her leg is moving from right to left. in front of her. that means she turns clock wise !if she was turning anti-clock wise the shade of the leg will be turning from left to right.

am I RIGHT ?

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I seen it moving clockwise at first, but after awhile I could make it move which way I wanted.

But according to this quiz: http://www.web-us.com/BRAIN/braindominance.htm the left side of my brain is the dominant side.

Left here also. Still can't make it switch directions.

koenn
November 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
QUESTION

the shade of her leg is moving from right to left. in front of her. that means she turns clock wise !if she was turning anti-clock wise the shade of the leg will be turning from left to right.

am I RIGHT ?
It's 2 D and there's no perspective - so "in front of her" doesn't exist in the video. It could be 'behind her' just as well.

focus on the shadow of her other foot.

Praxicoide
November 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Interesting to see all the right brain dominance here, which is against the current. Maybe we're not as comformists?

I wonder if the results would be the same in a Microsoft forum. :razz:

fatcrab
November 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Counter-clockwise.Nice bod

Eagles18
November 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
At first,I was only able to see her rotating clockwise.However,after the video changed to "counter clockwise",I was able to see her rotate counter clockwise.

befana
November 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I voted both, but counter-clockwise was the first thing I saw when I opened the link.

If you don't focus on the picture and imagine the woman turning the other way, it should be easy to see when you refocus on the picture.

There's a .gif version here for people without flash: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615

While reading the article in the link (not looking at the picture), I saw her just swinging with my peripheral vision. If I look at her - she is turnning both sides.

Eagles18
November 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
It's odd,now I can mainly see her turn counter clockwise.

Npl
November 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I seen this a while ago. clockwise at first, but once I been able to change it - any way I like (or random if i just look at it after a while). I don't have any perks of the "Right-brainer" though.

I blame it on the **** eyes, as they need to turn from right to left to face you when the video starts :p
Would be the opposite if you prefer looking at backsides.

Pasdar
November 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I think its the other way around, if you see it moving counter-clockwise you're a right-brainer, if you see it moving clockwise you're a left-brainer.

baizon
November 26th, 2009, 08:33 PM
This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions. :(

cascade9
November 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
@ baizon- finally! Something I can see that germany cant! Can I trade you, so you can see the video, and I'll be able to use lastFM radio?

I voted Clockwise, but was I the only one that noticed the silhouette had nipples?

I doubt you are, but maybe the rest of them cant admit it. I know I noticed anyway. ;)

Clockwise here as well. I'm sure I've seen it go both ways in a different version of that video though.

texpat
November 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think its the other way around, if you see it moving counter-clockwise you're a right-brainer, if you see it moving clockwise you're a left-brainer.

Really? Any idea why brain 'handedness' would make a difference in the way you perceive the rotation?

skillllllz
November 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
In addition to being able to make her rotate in either direction, I can make her just stand there and swing her leg from left to right and right to left. It's not easy for me to do as it does not come naturally, but once I concentrate I can do it after few minutes. I wonder if repeatedly doing so is good/bad for my brain.

JDShu
November 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Clockwise at first, but I've figured out how to switch it. Just focus on the the leg she is standing on and choose whether it is her left or right leg.

H4F
November 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
In addition to being able to make her rotate in either direction, I can make her just stand there and swing her leg from left to right and right to left. It's not easy for me to do as it does not come naturally, but once I concentrate I can do it after few minutes. I wonder if repeatedly doing so is good/bad for my brain.

well, after I concentrate enough I was able to "stand there and swing her leg from left to right and right to left" . after this to the position ... and ... . I was also able to do ... from front and from back.

After doing all of this stuff to her I can't understad I am right or left brainer ?

:D
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

skillllllz
November 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM
well, after I concentrate enough I was able to "stand there and swing her leg from left to right and right to left" . after this to the position ... and ... . I was also able to do ... from front and from back.

After doing all of this stuff to her I can't understad I am right or left brainer ?

:D
YES! Exactly! Once you do that you can choose which side of her is facing you. It's wild. I'm getting better at it. I'm still clockwise dominant, but I wonder if with time I can alter that. Pretty cool/scary... like hacking your brain

Chronon
November 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
QUESTION

am I RIGHT ?

This is part of my reasoning too. I only see it turning clockwise.

koenn
November 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
This is part of my reasoning too. I only see it turning clockwise.
It's 2 D and there's no perspective - so "in front of her" doesn't exist in the video. It could be 'behind her' just as well.

You're reasoning: your interpreting visual input, but this particular sequence of images can be interpreted in more than 1 way, and your brain makes a choice.

Chronon
November 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, but I cannot bring myself to interpret the shadow as being behind her as is necessary to observe the motion in the other orientation. (I have actually perceived it going the other way on another occasion, but usually by purposely ignoring certain things.)

Of course, selective filtering does play a big role in how our brains decide to interpret something. We tend to collapse the perception into one possibility or another -- kind of similar to collapsing a quantum wavefunction, actually.

koenn
November 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, but I cannot bring myself to interpret the shadow as being behind her as is necessary to observe the motion in the other orientation. (I have actually perceived it going the other way on another occasion, but usually by purposely ignoring certain things.)

Of course, selective filtering does play a big role in how our brains decide to interpret something. We tend to collapse the perception into one possibility or another -- kind of similar to collapsing a quantum wavefunction, actually.
right.
So ignore that shadow "in front". In stead, look at the shadow of the other foot, and see it as the shadow of a foot turning counter-clockwhise, see how it gets smaller as the toes turn away from you (counter-clockwise). Once you get that, expand your view gradually upwards.

Works for me :)

Bölvağur
November 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Clockwise. But after a while I started seeing both ways... got very confusing when I discovered it.

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM
OK after looking at this while wide awake. I orginaly was very tired when I seen it the first time. My brain just randomly switches back and forth with her direction. Does this mean I am loco?

Chronon
November 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
right.
So ignore that shadow "in front". In stead, look at the shadow of the other foot, and see it as the shadow of a foot turning counter-clockwhise, see how it gets smaller as the toes turn away from you (counter-clockwise). Once you get that, expand your view gradually upwards.

Works for me :)

Right. Most optical illusions rely on collapse of an image with ambiguous information into one of several possible interpretations. I do not see a fundamental difference between this illusion and the "two faces" illusion. As I mentioned, I have been able to see it as moving the other direction by actively ignoring certain things (like the "front shadow"). Of course, this suggests to me that reality (to the extent we can talk about it) is highly conditioned by the models that we build up in our heads.

Exodist: I don't think so. I notice that my brain has a certain 'refresh cycle' with certain illusions like this one: http://www.mckeeth.org/2008/03/spinning-dots-illusion/comment-page-1/

Lightstar
November 27th, 2009, 01:21 AM
All directions, I see her going clockwise, then I concentrated and she went counter-clockwise, and then I concentrated harder and she went vertical, and then I made her stop, and she walked toward me with a grin and said she wanted my brain meats, so I made her walk backward instead and I changed her into the staypuft marshmallow man, and he's still there wiggling.

ctrlmd
November 27th, 2009, 01:34 AM
#-o both

beercz
November 27th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Clockwise - but I only watched it for about 30 seconds, then I got bored.

BuffaloX
November 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I could only see clockwise in the beginning, but the white lines helped see counterclockwise after a couple of tries.

Clockwise at first, but I've figured out how to switch it. Just focus on the the leg she is standing on and choose whether it is her left or right leg.

Nice trick, but I have to pause to make it work, seems my brain is a bit slow. :rolleyes:
After a couple of tries, I found it easier to change if I saw her facing me or having her back to me.

QUESTION

am I RIGHT ?

No it works equally well both ways.
Try the trick JDShu described, and you should see it.

RabbitWho
November 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Well there's no way it's a right vs. left brain thing, because, not to stereotype, but on a message board with a good few programmers there has to be more than TWO left brained people.

I do wonder why we tend to see it one way rather than the other though. I wonder if you're on the southern hemisphere do you see it the other way.. because for you the earth goes round the other way and the universe is upside down.

danbuter
November 27th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Counter-clockwise for me.

Chilli Bob
November 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I've tried this many, many times, and it's always clockwise, no matter how hard I try. I really can't understand how it can be seen as going counter-clockwise, if nothing else her right elbow would have to dislocate.

Also I put no credit to this relating to right-or left brain dominance, that just doesn't ring true.

thegreenblob
November 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I've tried this many, many times, and it's always clockwise, no matter how hard I try. I really can't understand how it can be seen as going counter-clockwise, if nothing else her right elbow would have to dislocate.

Also I put no credit to this relating to right-or left brain dominance, that just doesn't ring true.

Have you tried fast forwarding the video to near the end where it adds the outlines and the background to make you see it counter-clockwise? At first I couldn't see it counter-clockwise either, but after watching that part, and then rewinding it to where there is no outlines it was going counter-clockwise, and then eventually I could see it which way I wanted by concentrating.

roharme
November 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
If you are an ambidextrous, you must able to force the girl in any direction either clockwise or anti-clockwise.

I did it.

:)

Chilli Bob
November 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Have you tried fast forwarding the video to near the end where it adds the outlines and the background to make you see it counter-clockwise? At first I couldn't see it counter-clockwise either, but after watching that part, and then rewinding it to where there is no outlines it was going counter-clockwise, and then eventually I could see it which way I wanted by concentrating.

Yep tried that, it didn't help.

LookTJ
November 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I see it going both ways.

LookTJ
November 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Yep tried that, it didn't help.
Try to comprehend/understand that you CAN see the girl go both ways. :)

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Try to comprehend/understand that you CAN see the girl go both ways. :)
I have known some girls that go both ways :-D

LookTJ
November 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have known some girls that go both ways :-D
Reminds me of people saying "it's all in your head" :P

EDIT: According to the forums stats, most should be naturally left handed.

Eisenwinter
November 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I started seeing her turning anti-clockwise, and that's the only way I could see. Then suddenly she started turning clockwise, and I scrolled back and I could only see that.

Then I watched the video again, and she started turning clockwise, then anti-clockwise, then I scrolled back and she was clockwising again.

I voted counter-clockwise, before I finished watching the video. I would change my vote to "Both ways", though.