PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will Install icon yield live disk or hd install?

FredVanH
November 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi. I just made a Ubuntu 9.10 install CD from an ISO file. When I booted it, I chose "Install Ubuntu 9.10" from the menu. After a while I got the brown desktop with 2 icons on it - "Examples" and "Install Ubuntu 9.10"

My purpose is to use just the CD version for a tryout run of a week or two before I affect the hard disk. When I double click the Install icon, I get the message "Once you answer a few questions, the contents of this live CD can be installed on this computer so you can run the system at full speed and without the CD.". I do not want to run without the CD. I understand the CD does not run at full speed and that's just fine. I am afraid that if I proceed, I will have defeated the purpose of the Live CD for me, which is to run without changing anything on my hard drive.

Where did I go wrong?
Thanks,
Fred

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Just leave the Install icon alone until you are ready to install to the HD.

FredVanH
November 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks, Old_Grey! The light is starting to dawn. This is probably obvious to all 70 million except me; but is it possible that, with that brown desktop on the screen, I ALREADY HAVE the Live CD version of Ubuntu 9.10 installed and that that desktop, blank except for the 2 icons, is sitting there waiting for me to do installed Ubuntu stuff?:redface:

darkod
November 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
When I booted it, I chose "Install Ubuntu 9.10" from the menu.

If you selected Install Ubuntu you are not in live environment. Was it Try Ubuntu maybe?
Just use Try Ubuntu for as long as you want, and as Old Gray said, leave the Install desktop icon alone.

FredVanH
November 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Now I think I have it. Given courage by your replies, Old_Gray_Wolf and darkod, I backed up out of the installation (icon) and explored what there was of the Ubuntu desktop - namely, the Applications, Places and Systems menus - and all the stuff necessary to start computing seemed to be there already. So I had it but didn't know it. I guess the "Install Ubuntu 9.10" icon confused me. Seemed like I had been picking that choice 10 times already in this journey and so should continue. Possibly it would have been helpful to me if that icon had said "Install Ubuntu 9.10 onto your Hard Drive"; but who's complaining? I'm probably too much of a literalist for my own good.

Anyway, thanks, guys (or gals)! Being a total newbie, I was afraid that my question was so dumb that it wouldn't be understood. Your caring enough to answer what probably was to you the obvious was very helpful and reassuring; and got me going from total paralysis. Also, sorry I spelled your name wrong, Old_Gray_Wolf!

Thanks,
Fred

darkod
November 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
No problem. The Try Ubuntu options is just for that, exploring how you like it and whether it's working with your hardware. You can surf the internet, watch videos, listen to music, make sure things work as expected.

And as soon as you like it enough, install it as proper installation. I prefer booting with the cd and selecting Install Ubuntu option from the menu rather than going into the live environment and clicking the Install icon on the desktop.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Now I think I have it. Given courage by your replies, Old_Gray_Wolf and darkod, ...

It is so much easier that you asked a question when you were not sure how to proceed. I hate those posts were some says, "I installed XXX now my Windows is gone.. how do I get it back?"

Enjoy Ubuntu. :D

Edit: And Grey versus Gray is just a preference in the various English dialects. I have had problems logging into the forums because I forgot the way I spelled it. :lolflag: