PDA

View Full Version : Product Advice: Starling Netbook

Wiebelhaus
November 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hello , Anyone own one of the System 76 Netbooks? If so can you play flash videos and kids flash games like Starfall (http://www.starfall.com/) or Nick Games (http://www.nick.com/games/)without any glitches or stuttering , does it have enough power? Reason I'm asking is because I'm considering buying a couple for my kids to play with , Thanks in advance for any opinions you may offer.

Cheer , Dallas.

P.S. Actually the question applies to any netbook owner , I'm just going to buy System 76 if the Atom processor can handle load heavy jobs like flash decently.

speedwell68
November 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Nick JR works fine on a AAO A150 with 512mb with no problems.

Wiebelhaus
November 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Nick JR works fine on a AAO A150 with 512mb with no problems.

Thanks mate.

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'd look elsewhere than the Starling for a netbook.

My MSi Wind U123 cost $10-20USD more than the Starling...has a 9cell battery (9+hrs of life on a charge under WinXP), and a N-wireless card.

Wiebelhaus
November 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'd look elsewhere than the Starling for a netbook.

My MSi Wind U123 cost $10-20USD more than the Starling...has a 9cell battery (9+hrs of life on a charge under WinXP), and a N-wireless card.

Thanks for the suggestion , I appreciate it.

theorysavage
November 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I like the Starling but in all honesty there is one thing about it that keeps me from really recommending it.

The battery is does not have a very secure locking mechanism. The locking switch itself doesn't 'lock'. It is easy to accidentally unlock and remove the battery. In addition, since the battery sticks out, it is tempting to hold the system by the battery, which is dangerous since it can become detached unexpectedly.

2. I don't think it's powerful enough to take videos with Cheese. I haven't looked into it, because this is not very important to me, but since you ask about power, it can't seem to keep up enough to make a video.

Anyway, I don't regret the purchase (it is a decent netbook, and is much better than a laptop for travel), but I wouldn't personally buy this particular system again.

Wiebelhaus
November 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks.