PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] computer wont boot from CD?

chrisx16x2008
November 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have burned 2 CDs Kubuntu and Ubuntu and both wont boot. I have changed boot priority to CD/DVD drive first. I have burned both CDs with an ISO burner a 4x speed. Both CDs have burned without problem. I even tried pressing F10 for boot options and it goes to a screen that says boot from HDD or CD/DVD drive? Like an instant boot priority. It either doesnt recognize the disk or just skips the boot from CD. help please?

lisati
November 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Did you burn the disks as a disk image?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

chrisx16x2008
November 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Doesnt an ISO burner always burn it as an image?

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Doesnt an ISO burner always burn it as an image?

Not knowing what program you used to burn, generally you have to choose burn image.

jacobs444
November 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Not to be insulting, but do you know how to burn ISO's?

hal10000
November 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Are you able to boot any other (bootable) CD's/DVD's, e.g your windows cd, knoppix, clonezilla or similar?

Bartender
November 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Quick way to check whether you copied the download (wrong) or converted it to a bootable CD (correct) is to fire up a Windows PC.

Wait for Windows to come up. Toss the CD in the optical drive, and Explore it. If Windows sees one big file you did it wrong. If it sees several folders and a handful of files, then we at least know you converted the download correctly and can move on to other ideas.

Turbo825
November 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm having the same issue. Downloaded the 9.10 ISO on two different machines and burned on two different machines using Nero. Neither one would boot. Reformated the drive and tried again. Still wouldn't boot. Had a official disk shipped to me no boot. Put a disk of 9.04 ISO that I burned on the same machine in it booted instantly. I upgraded over the update manager but then I didn't have a driver for my atheros WIFI card. It works well with 9.04 reinstalled.

sofa88
December 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
hi, i know this thread is a little older. but i was wondering how to reinstall 9.04 after having installed 9.10? i'm having a heck of a time with this.