PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sorry plz guide with upgrade

ashu.
November 26th, 2009, 02:21 AM
hi sorry this must be a very highly repeated question but sorry i couldn't find correct ans in all threads i went through.
i jus downloaded image of ubuntu 9.10 from torrent which i have written to a disc how to upgrade to 9.10 i use 9.04 n i have huge amount of data which i don't want to loose so how to upgrade without data loss. should i boot with the disc but then it will format the whole partition no?? sorry again i couldn't find correct to my ans forgive my ignorance.

ninjapirate89
November 26th, 2009, 02:25 AM
If you already have 9.04 installed then you don't need the cd for 9.10 to upgrade, you can just hit Alt+F2 and type in (correct me if I'm mistaken someone) "update-manager -d".

ashu.
November 26th, 2009, 02:28 AM
If you already have 9.04 installed then you don't need the cd for 9.10 to upgrade, you can just hit Alt+F2 and type in (correct me if I'm mistaken someone) "update-manager -d".
doesn't work error screen shot attached....

qwerty2009
November 26th, 2009, 02:39 AM
you typred it incorrectly if you look at your screenshot you typed "update manage r-d" its "update-manager -d" just copy and paste it

oldos2er
November 26th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Copy and paste update-manager -d

ashu.
November 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Copy and paste update-manager -d
thanks does it continue (as in torrents) or begin again if by chance re booted???

qwerty2009
November 26th, 2009, 03:10 AM
thanks does it continue (as in torrents) or begin again if by chance re booted???

hi im not sure if it resumes after you've rebooted is there a reason that you need to reboot it should only take up to an hr or 2 with a good connection and up to 5 or 6 hrs with a slow connection

audiomick
November 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM

Don't interrupt it. If you are not sure of being able to let it go long enough, wait until you have more time.