PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 2.14

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 12:43 AM
This was on Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/02/20/2058248.shtml), but I figured I'd link it here for those who haven't read it yet.

Some VERY VERY VERY good features are going to be added, have a read:

http://www.gnome.org.nyud.net:8080/~davyd/gnome-2-14/

What else do you guys think should be integrated with gnome? I like the idea of the VoIP feature in gnome meeting personally, but perhaps something along the lines of Skype, or maybe just including Skype with the distro if possible...

bjweeks
February 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
Skype is closed source so no go.

DigitalDuality
February 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
I just want to know if this version of Gnome will be included in Dapper.. i'm guessing no but i have no idea how the whole dev process works.

If no.. i will say this is where i find something like MS stronger. The ability to release huge upgrades to most every part of their system and coupled applications at an approximate same time is definately a plus. But b/c of the OSS nature of linux, ubuntu, and applications all being taken on by different groups.. it just comes with the territory i guess.

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 12:51 AM
Which is why perhaps there needs to be an open-source VoIP program? Or is skype good enough for the job....? I'd also like to see better file type integration with Gnome/KDE in general, opening certain files hardly ever produces the required program, yes they have enabled the preferred browser/mail client option, but what about dvd players? Image viewers? MP3/OGG players? And when inserting usb disks or drives (maybe this is just with kubuntu) you need root access to mount it... really annoying! I'd love to just right click on it and select mount.

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
The release date for Dapper is April, Gnome 2.14 will be released on the 14th of march, I'm pretty sure ubuntu ties itself to the release date of Gnome, so there's a very good chance, but if not it won't be long after release.

Bragador
February 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
omg you're quoting me !

*blushes*

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 12:59 AM
Hahahaha, yes I am :)

somuchfortheafter
February 21st, 2006, 01:02 AM
hmm sounds sweet to me.

UbuWu
February 21st, 2006, 01:20 AM
I just want to know if this version of Gnome will be included in Dapper.. i'm guessing no but i have no idea how the whole dev process works.

Yes. Actually most of it is already in Dapper, it has the development version of Gnome and the final release will include gnome 2.14.

dickohead
February 21st, 2006, 01:21 AM
Yay!!!

DigitalDuality
February 21st, 2006, 01:23 AM
That's wonderful :) I might go back to Gnome if that's the case

Iandefor
February 21st, 2006, 02:03 AM

If no.. i will say this is where i find something like MS stronger. The ability to release huge upgrades to most every part of their system and coupled applications at an approximate same time is definately a plus. But b/c of the OSS nature of linux, ubuntu, and applications all being taken on by different groups.. it just comes with the territory i guess. Absolutely. Ubuntu's release cycle is synchronized to GNOME's, so whenever a new release of GNOME hits the mirrors, Ubuntu's next release will be close by. Ubuntu does this so it gets the latest GNOME stable. So yes, GNOME 2.14 will be in Dapper.

Jedeye
February 21st, 2006, 02:12 AM

If no.. i will say this is where i find something like MS stronger. The ability to release huge upgrades to most every part of their system and coupled applications at an approximate same time is definately a plus. But b/c of the OSS nature of linux, ubuntu, and applications all being taken on by different groups.. it just comes with the territory i guess.
Keep this in concideration... Ubuntu and Gnome are released every 6 months... how far apart are the windows releases? so while it may not seem like a ton of new features at once the next release is only 6 months away.

But I have to say that Gnome 2.14 is shaping up quite nice ;)

imagine
February 21st, 2006, 02:48 AM
It seems the Gnome tour is quite popular. This is like the fifth thread about it ; )

Btw the last thing being included in Gnome is some proprietary eBay application while an open standard exists at the same time [1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

Klaidas
February 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Cool ;)

tikal26
February 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
this might be a little bit off topic, but on the review they mensioned the fluendo mp3 plugin that we could get, I am wondering if anyone has gotten it and I am new to al this liscecne stuff so I guess that i could use it with totem and banshee but not with amarok. Is that corect?