PDA

View Full Version : End of need for Backports Project?

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 07:16 AM
Hey jdong, I caught something you might want to hear. According to the Ubuntu Traffic 18, "A team will be formed, to be comprised of members of the Ubuntu community with the interest and technical skills to care for the packages in Ubuntu's universe and multiverse components."

http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/ubuntu-traffic/u20041224_18.html

It seems to me that, if you became a part of this team, you could just upgrade the universe packages in the REAL repo!

You could also add updated "unofficial, unsupported" packages into the universe that are part of the main (like your firefox backport, or how OpenOffice.org2 is currently in the Universe right now!)

This way you don't have to deal with server costs...I bet they have ways to help with compile time as well...

Not that I don't like your backports- you helped make Warty what it is to many people. But unsupported is unsupported (as in the difference between the universe and your repo), so why not?

You could of course keep your repo around for testing packages and whatever else....I'll help test it...

Just an idea....

jdong
January 31st, 2005, 12:47 PM
That does seem to take out the need for regular "universe" backports, but what about main? If we pull off another Firefox 1.0, what will happen? Those are components in main.

I'm skeptical about Universe maintainance, and I doubt this team will do much more than backports a few patches, rather than new packages.

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
That does seem to take out the need for regular "universe" backports, but what about main? If we pull off another Firefox 1.0, what will happen? Those are components in main.

I'm skeptical about Universe maintainance, and I doubt this team will do much more than backports a few patches, rather than new packages.

I was doubtful as well. Then two things happened. First, this invite for the crowd to mess with the universe.

Secondly, in Hoary (currently) OpenOffice.org2 was put in the universe. They didn't want to support it yet, but they want to include it.

If the devs are willing to put such a big (backport?) into the universe now, there is probably no reason they wouldn't mind something like an unsupported Firefox in the universe.

Plus....isn't most of your work in the universe anyway? It seems like this would make it easier for you. Instead of backporting such files, you simply update them!

A static universe is one of the worst things about Ubuntu. If they are willing to give the keys away....you could run the show a lot better than they have.

Then any packages which you are not allowed to add to the Universe can be put in your third party repo.

I would feel sceptical, but it really seems like the devs are willing to work with people on this!

HiddenWolf
February 1st, 2005, 09:31 AM
I was doubtful as well. Then two things happened. First, this invite for the crowd to mess with the universe.

Secondly, in Hoary (currently) OpenOffice.org2 was put in the universe. They didn't want to support it yet, but they want to include it.

If the devs are willing to put such a big (backport?) into the universe now, there is probably no reason they wouldn't mind something like an unsupported Firefox in the universe.

Plus....isn't most of your work in the universe anyway? It seems like this would make it easier for you. Instead of backporting such files, you simply update them!

A static universe is one of the worst things about Ubuntu. If they are willing to give the keys away....you could run the show a lot better than they have.

Then any packages which you are not allowed to add to the Universe can be put in your third party repo.

I would feel sceptical, but it really seems like the devs are willing to work with people on this!
Amen. Devs are doing a good job.
Warty is rough around the edges. Hoary should be much much much more polished.

jdong
February 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
Perhaps I'll hold off on Hoary backports until I see this dynamic Universe unfold...

jdong
May 17th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I decided to kick this dead horse for entertainment....

heh, Universe updates... Firefox... right.... ;-)

panickedthumb
May 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I don't think you should hold off on the hoary backports-- this may never gel. If it does, then you can hold off :)

Slo Mo Snail
May 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Is there any official statement why this didn't happen? IMHO this would be a much better solution than the backports (e.g. better for all ubuntu users) and shouldn't break anything if the "updaters" work sensible

jdong
May 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hoary's still supposed to get an update pack sometime, like a Service Pack. This should include new Alsa amongst other things.

I have no idea when this is supposed to happen, either.