PDA

View Full Version : Tiling WM's

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I posted a thread/poll about DE's and WM and I noticed that quite a few use Tiling WM's. Can I just ask what is the draw to a Tiling WM? I just ask because I have yet to sit down and use one and want to see why most people who use them, use them.

So please enlighten me. (catch the pun)

Greg
November 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Technically, tiling window managers simply organize your windows in different ways- they split the screen (or you split the screen) so that if an app is open, there entire screen is always automatically being used.

The real draw comes elsewhere, though. Tiling is important to me, especially when I'm using terminals, but more important are how easily everything is done without a mouse (when I installed Arch on my laptop and put on Xmonad, I didn't realize that I didn't install the mouse driver for a few hours) and just how customizable they are. Lightweight also helps.

chucky chuckaluck
November 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
i think they're particularly good if you use a lot of terminal apps. instead of just piling apps on top of each other, they organize them to not block each other out while using as much desktop space as possible. most of the dwm clones have float modes for apps that don't do to well with tiling (gimp, for one). give one a try (dwm is probably the simplest to use and i'd recommend installing dmenu with it).

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
tiling wm is best on old laptops.

you dont want to use the mouse pad and dont have enough power for fullblown gnome anway.

you never have to touch your mouse and it takes much less ram.

Nuzgal
November 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I just blogged about this. Seems like they are getting more and more popular.
I've tried Xmonad on my both computers - workstation and laptop. And I must admit that I like the minimalism, no need for a mouse and the great window organization.
And as others say, tiling window managers are great for laptops.