PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio has cancer

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Heavy metal legend Ronnie Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131004&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+(Blabbermouth.ne t%27s+Daily+Headlines)).

Why did this have to happen with one of the (very few) rock musicians who didn't abuse alcohol and drugs? Life is so unfair sometimes... :(

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Who?

speedwell68
November 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Bummer, I was never really into him. He wasn't the best singer Rainbow had and there was only ever one lead singer of Black Sabbath. Dio had a few good tunes. Sad news none the less.

MiCK.ca
November 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
There's ways to battle that and surely (unlike pat swayze), Ronnie will pull up and get back at it again. Gastro surgery has come a LONG LONG way in recent years.

Simian Man
November 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
That's too bad, I always liked him. I think he got an unfair rep just because he had the tough job of following Ozzy as Sabbath's frontman.

Who?

Obviously you aren't asking because you're curious. If that were the case you'd just look on Google or Wikipedia. So you're implying that you don't care for a legendary musician or his style of music? When he's been diagnosed with cancer? Does that make you feel good or something?

cdwillis
November 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
We were just talking about Dio at work yesterday and then I see this. Damn. I hope he gets better.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
That's too bad, I always liked him. I think he got an unfair rep just because he had the tough job of following Ozzy as Sabbath's frontman.

Obviously you aren't asking because you're curious. If that were the case you'd just look on Google or Wikipedia. So you're implying that you don't care for a legendary musician or his style of music? When he's been diagnosed with cancer? Does that make you feel good or something?

Nope but it doesn't make me feel bad either.

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I think he got an unfair rep just because he had the tough job of following Ozzy as Sabbath's frontman.

Hmm, what "unfair rep" are you talking about? As far as I know, his two studio albums with Sabbath are considered top-notch works in metal history.

Plus, he already had a good reputation from Rainbow before joining Sabbath.

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM

I hate to see anybody ill, but legendary, in whose myth. That is pop culture man.

PuddingKnife
November 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Time to give his cape and scepter to the D

hope he gets better tho

HappyFeet
November 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
That's a shame to hear. I've always liked him. Dio/Rainbow- Long Live Rock n Roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDT_uqM1iqI)

cdwillis
November 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I hate to see anybody ill, but legendary, in whose myth. That is pop culture man.

The guy is a metal legend.

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM

While I agree that "legendary" is an often abused term, I think it really fits Dio when you consider how much he is respected in the metal community. Plus, he's the guy who popularized the horns hand sign. That fact is pretty much a legend on its own. :)

liamnixon
November 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Simian Man
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Plus, he's the guy who popularized the horns hand sign. That fact is pretty much a legend on its own. :)

That's what I'm saying! :)

Wiebelhaus
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
That sucks.

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
While I agree that "legendary" is an often abused term, I think it really fits Dio when you consider how much he is respected in the metal community. Plus, he's the guy who popularized the horns hand sign. That fact is pretty much a legend on its own. :)

I would be supportive of anybodies belief system it was the context that it was used in that bothered me. Abusing a poster then claiming a legend. I like heavy metal even though I am primarily a Jazz musician. Dave Mustain now thats a legend to me, excellent vocals and unusual harmonics for the genre.

Nuzgal
November 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Sad. Such a great voice.

saulgoode
November 25th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Any old-time metal heads remember Hear'n Aid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear_%27n_Aid)?

megamania
November 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Who?

Legendary? More like unknown.

Like it or not, "metal" is a part of the so-called "pop-culture". You're nothing special, and neither are the supposed "artists". This man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman) is a legend. His tireless effort benefits all mankind directly and daily. The subject of this thread is an obscure, talentless artist.
Just out of curiosity, do you take this as seriously as it looks?

EDIT: "obscure" and unknown people sometimes are more tireless and help more than "legends". Here's one of the persons who have changed my life (met him in person in Cambodia): http://www.beat-richner.ch/ Sometimes people speak too much and act too little.

seeker5528
November 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Who?

Other people have answered this, but they left out Elf.

Elf - Never More (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1MzNNpSY_A)
Elf - Lura Lura (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYX5FU6-sg4)
Elf - Aqualung (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCty2JRn6jU)

Later, Seeker

kzlazy
November 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
... He wasn't the best singer Rainbow had...

Oh yes he was, by far...

PuddingKnife

That actually pissed me off, but then I said **** it.

So here's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1NS0N5_XY

Keyper7
I would be supportive of anybodies belief system it was the context that it was used in that bothered me. Abusing a poster then claiming a legend. I like heavy metal even though I am primarily a Jazz musician. Dave Mustain now thats a legend to me, excellent vocals and unusual harmonics for the genre.

I understand your point and I like Mustaine as well, but it seems you're talking about technique while I'm talking about respect and reputation (both of which Dave does have but I doubt he has more than Dio, specially because Dio is probably respected among both Metallica and Megadeth fanboys ;))

Anyways, the definition of "legend" is highly subjective. Let me just say "who is considered a legend by a lot of people in the metal community" and leave at that, okay? :)

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Who?

Like it or not, "metal" is a part of the so-called "pop-culture". You're nothing special, and neither are the supposed "artists". This man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman) is a legend. His tireless effort benefits all mankind directly and daily. The subject of this thread is an obscure, talentless artist.

http://koltchak91120.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/double-facepalm.jpg

HappyFeet
November 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
The subject of this thread is an obscure, talentless artist.

Just like your obscure, talentless post? Can't one thread go untainted by haters?

JBAlaska
November 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Dio and Black Sabbath were rockin long before there was a "Pop Culture" or even metal music as a genre for that matter.

Sad to here it, Hope he pulls through

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Can't one thread go untainted by haters?

You must be new h... wait, 1,285 beans? On which forum sections have you been hanging around until now? ;)

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I understand your point and I like Mustaine as well, but it seems you're talking about technique while I'm talking about respect and reputation (both of which Dave does have but I doubt he has more than Dio, specially because Dio is probably respected among both Metallica and Megadeth fanboys ;))

Anyways, the definition of "legend" is highly subjective. Let me just say "who is considered a legend by a lot of people in the metal community" and leave at that, okay? :)

I don't have a problem with him considered a Icon it was the context that it was used in, a abusive response to a one word quote.

Since were on the subject of legends or Icons it is a disservice to the people that we label them with this moniker, hardly anybody can live up to this sort of label in a broad context, and I suspect if you asked Mr Dio if he thought he was a legend he would say no. If he was smart enough to stay away from the sex, drugs that go with rock and roll and have a altruistic social input as another poster gives a link to I suspect he is quite smart and would just chuckle at this legendary label, like anybody with a scant amount of humility. ;) He is not a higher power he is a human being.

Edit: I recently saw Paul McCartney on the David Letterman show when he was called a legend on the show he just laughed, and gave a good answer removing that label.

HappyFeet
November 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
You must be new h... wait, 1,285 beans? On which forum sections have you been hanging around until now? ;)

Yeah, I know. I had that coming. Silly me.

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM

If people who aren't serious about Free Software have to ask me this, then I'm serious enough. It's sad that standing up for your principles has gotten so deprecated, but there you have it.

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I don't have a problem with him considered a Icon it was the context that it was used in, a abusive response to a one word quote.

Ah, ok. I finally understood what you meant, sorry.

In Simian Man's defense, though, I don't believe he was using "legendary" as an argument to imply that Dio must be respected or anything. He was using it to imply that there exists people who care about Dio and Grifulkin's post was uncalled for and disrespectful because it was not a genuine question but a very clear "I don't give a ***" statement.

Since were on the subject of legends or Icons it is a disservice to the people that we label them with this moniker, hardly anybody can live up to this sort of label in a broad context, and I suspect if you asked Mr Dio if he thought he was a legend he would say no. If he was smart enough to stay away from the sex, drugs that go with rock and roll and have a altruistic social input as another poster gives a link to I suspect he is quite smart and would just chuckle at this legendary label, like anybody with a scant amount of humility. ;) He is not a higher power he is a human being.

Hard to disagree with such a well-put argument, but I think you are giving the word "legend" much more credit than it deserves. I see it as a measure of popularity and respect, not much more than that. (in the context of music, of course, there are contexts where it has much more weight)

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Ah, ok. I finally understood what you meant, sorry.

In Simian Man's defense, though, I don't believe he was using "legendary" as an argument to imply that Dio must be respected or anything. He was using it to imply that there exists people who care about Dio and Grifulkin's post was uncalled for and disrespectful because it was not a genuine question but a very clear "I don't give a ***" statement.

Hard to disagree with such a well-put argument, but I think you are giving the word "legend" much more credit than it deserves. I see it as a measure of popularity and respect, not much more than that. (in the context of music, of course, there are contexts where it has much more weight)

I appreciate your understanding and input.;) But attaching a meaning to one word is not fair somebody should have asked him what he meant not assumed what it meant. I had to look at a few posts before I remembered who Mr Dio was. I would also add that it is Grifulkin's right to post what he wants within the COC. Just as it is anybodies right to label the person of interest.

sudoer541
November 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I dont know him but I am so sorry! How do people get cancer?

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I think part of he problems with pop cultural expression is that it has been spoon fed to us by a profit orientated mechanism. It is social engineering/programming just like the infections on the MS OS are delivered. We are bamboozled and dumbed down, when there is a much wider field of art that is hardly palatable to the majority of the population because of this simplified expression. This plays out in all media.

I like heavy metal and consider it a art form but the basic patterns of it come from the blues and the poly-rhythmic aspects come from cultural music such as Indian, and African....etc music, just like the origins of blues and Jazz. Rock and roll is a rehash of former forms and any respectable rock player will tell you this even Steven Tyler said this. But it is all still art in one form or another it is a knowledge of the roots of it that is imperative for a larger acceptance of the roots, and the ability to listen to more complex dissonance and rhythms.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Damn that's sad. I hope he gets better.

Keyper7
November 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I think part of he problems with pop cultural expression is that it has been spoon fed to us by a profit orientated mechanism. It is social engineering/programming just like the infections on the MS OS are delivered. We are bamboozled and dumbed down, when there is a much wider field of art that is hardly palatable to the majority of the population because of this simplified expression. This plays out in all media.

I like heavy metal and consider it a art form but the basic patterns of it come from the blues and the poly-rhythmic aspects come from cultural music such as Indian, and African....etc music, just like the origins of blues and Jazz. Rock and roll is a rehash of former forms and any respectable rock player will tell you this even Steven Tyler said this. But it is all still art in one form or another it is a knowledge of the roots of it that is imperative for a larger acceptance of the roots, and the ability to listen to more complex dissonance and rhythms.

That line of reasoning is slightly dangerous. Having an open mind to listen to both mainstream/simple and non-mainstream/complex music is a good thing, but a lot, and I mean a lot of people suffer from what I like to call "The Reverse Sheep Syndrome": they focus so much in listening only to what is non-mainstream/complex that they don't realize that this is also being manipulated by the media, only in the opposite direction.

I have one, and only one criteria for listening to something: if I find it enjoyable. If Miley Cyrus releases a song in her usual poppy style but that I actually enjoy listening to, I'll be the first to admit. That didn't happen so far, but there is, for example, a Spice Girls slow song that I like. Forgot the name, though. Dream Theater has very accomplished musicians, but are far from being my favorite band. The essence of punk, on the other hand, is simplicity and I happen to like Ramones a lot.

Media feeding is a problem, but a problem only for people who can't think for themselves. That goes for both accepting and rejecting.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
This topic is about Ronnie James Dio, whom some of us know of and love his music, having being diagnosed with cancer. Don't turn it into some completely inane discussion about the music industry and principles please. Make another topic for that.

Keyper7
November 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
This topic is about Ronnie James Dio, whom some of us know of and love his music, having being diagnosed with cancer. Don't turn it into some completely inane discussion about the music industry and principles please. Make another topic for that.

Yeah, you are 100% right, sorry. As the author of this thread I should've known better.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ok, sorry. As the author of the first post I should've known better.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, I'm sorry if it looked like I did.

Wiebelhaus
November 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Update:

Here is the latest update from Wendy Dio:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

Thanks to all the friends and fans around the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up.

Long Live Rock and Roll, Long Live Ronnie James Dio"

RATM_Owns
November 26th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I love Ronnie James Dio. D:

*plays Holy Diver as sort-of tribute*

\m/

HappyFeet
November 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM

I agree. But there are obviously people here that feel the need to turn everything into "psycho analyze fest". Sad. Can't you people just stay out of it, without turning it into something it's not?

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Who?

True or not, thats still cold and it is still sad that he has cancer, regardless if he has talent or not and wither or not his contributions benefited mankind.

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hmmm could of sworn this was the community cafe you know talking around the water cooler, not the Spanish inquisition.

Keyper7
November 26th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hmmm could of sworn this was the community cafe you know talking around the water cooler, not the Spanish inquisition.

Calm down, it's nothing personal. They do have a point, threads should stay on topic.

I'm partially to blame, but let's not drag this anymore. Not on this thread. Please.

Keyper7
November 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I checked again the link posted in the first message. Blabbermouth fans are well-known as being quite childish and trollish, but the amount of support messages in the page is amazing.

I'm watching some live videos in YouTube. Saw him during the Master of the Moon worldwide tour and it was one of the best concerts of my life.

MaxIBoy
November 26th, 2009, 03:38 AM
You know, my uncle has brain cancer, but I don't go starting threads about that, because it's not a public thing. Seriousy, why do you care if some guy you've never met has cancer? That's his business. What makes *his* cancer more important than anyone else's cancer?

matthew.ball
November 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
No one ever said it was more important.

Dio has connected with many people, and obviously they're going to feel pain over this. I think that's natural. For them to publicly grieve and be able to send their condolences onto Dio, is important both for his fans, and himself.

Rainstride
November 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
:-({|= (worlds smallest violin :D)

i though dio was already dead....

FLMKane
November 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
You know, my uncle has brain cancer, but I don't go starting threads about that, because it's not a public thing. Seriousy, why do you care if some guy you've never met has cancer? That's his business. What makes *his* cancer more important than anyone else's cancer?

You know if you dont want to start threads about your uncle's cancer, don't do it. Just dont tell us which threads to start. By the way I am still sorry to hear about that.

As for what makes his cancer more important, it is quite simple. We listen to his music, thus we care about it. It is actually more important to US. I am putting it bluntly, so please dont be offended by it. If my uncle had cancer, I would obviously be FAR more concerned about THAT.

MaxIBoy
November 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I didn't really mean to draw attention to my uncle's cancer... I guess I've become more familliar with what it's like to have cancer, since I'm very close to someone who does. And having a bunch of other people talking about it, getting depressed about it, and being surrounded by that all the time, is the worst part of it. Eventually, telling people to lighten up gets really old.

I dunno, these days whenever there's some celebrity who gets some potentially fatal chronic illness, and people who have never met this person mourn him/her, I get pissed off. I'm not quite sure why, I don't have a good way to phrase it yet.

megamania
November 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM

If people who aren't serious about Free Software have to ask me this, then I'm serious enough. It's sad that standing up for your principles has gotten so deprecated, but there you have it.
You're simply standing up for your principles in a thread that has nothing to do with your principles.

Now, start a topic about you hero. I'll jump in and say "RMS who? That *** *** obscure and unknown guy who talks ***? I love Depeche Mode, they make a better world".

Then I'll wait and see if you appreciate my standing up for my principles, or if you consider me a [place your preferred definition here].

koshatnik
November 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Heavy metal legend Ronnie Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131004&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+(Blabbermouth.ne t%27s+Daily+Headlines)).

Why did this have to happen with one of the (very few) rock musicians who didn't abuse alcohol and drugs? Life is so unfair sometimes... :(

Sad news. One of the best voices in rock. Good luck with the fight, Elfman!

Metallion
November 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I dunno, these days whenever there's some celebrity who gets some potentially fatal chronic illness, and people who have never met this person mourn him/her, I get pissed off. I'm not quite sure why, I don't have a good way to phrase it yet.

I don't think they're really mourned in the same way that a close loved one is. It's not like we lose a personal friend but still not being able to go to one of Dio's concerts or hear a new album of his does change something in the life of a fan. I think it's only natural to be sad about it.