PDA

View Full Version : most offensive google-bomb yet: First Lady of the United States

earthpigg
November 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
please don't link to the image itself in this thread, and do not go looking for it unless you really want to be offended and disgusted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8377922.stm

Michelle Obama racist image sparks Google apology

Google has apologized over a racially offensive picture of Michelle Obama that appeared when users searched for images of the US first lady.

...*snip*...

Google placed a notice* over the picture titled "Offensive Search Results", saying: "Sometimes our search results can be offensive. We agree."

*the notice was in the form of a google ad.

the bbc chose not to publish that story until after the first result was no longer that particular image (the website that originally hosted/published it was discovered to be spreading malware).

google did demonstrate some spine, however, by not removing the image from google searches specifically aimed at finding image when at other websites -- even when it will potentially make google look bad.

given the situation, i think google handled it well...

Exodist
November 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Again I am behind on the power curve and didnt get to see what everyone is talking about /sigh...

jonnyg01
November 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
yea where's the racist picture?!?!

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Earth Pig you shouldn't post things like this, because eventually someone probably will link the picture and bam thread closed. Oh well, I saw the picture, I thought it was funny, but then again I'm one of the people who thinks everything is funny.

cb951303
November 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
how is that picture racist?

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Can you please post/PM it for those of us who didn't see it and aren't easily offended? It looks like google has full-on censured this, even "michelle obama googlebomb" gives nothing but reactionary news articles and google's sincerest apologies.

Grow a ******* sense of humor, goddammit.

suitedaces
November 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I fail to see how it is racist. Many many public figues, of all races, are on that site. Indeed, I could claim that is is racist to assume it bore (right word?) any relation to her skin, but that would be ridiculous, like the original claim.

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Can you please post/PM it for those of us who didn't see it and aren't easily offended? It looks like google has full-on censured this, even "michelle obama googlebomb" gives nothing but reactionary news articles and google's sincerest apologies.

Grow a ******* sense of humor, goddammit.

search for it your self. not very hard to google her name + "offensive" and then search for a news article that has screenshot of it.

Hallvor
November 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
yea where's the racist picture?!?!

It is not racist at all. George W. Bush was often portrayed as a monkey, but nobody cried out that it was racism then.

Hint: Search for "Michelle Obama monkey" on google images; but first disable "safe search" or whatever it is called in English.

suitedaces
November 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Michelle Obama is not on this page from what I can see, but here is the site in question. http://celebrityape.com/

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thread closed

See above