PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Panel closes itself with error message

hypergeek14
November 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hello.

I'm using Xubuntu 9.10 on a Lenovo Ideapad S10e netbook. While I was installing the Broadcom STA driver for my Broadcom 802.11g BCM 4312, the panel disappeared. I rebooted and it still wasn't there.

I punched in xfce4-panel and the panel appeared (wireless is finally working, thank god). The terminal spit out the following output:

keith@keith-netbook:~/Desktop$ xfce4-panel

(xfce4-mixer-plugin:1854): libxfce4mixer-CRITICAL **: xfce_mixer_get_track: assertion `GST_IS_MIXER (card)' failed

(xfce4-mixer-plugin:1854): xfce4-mixer-plugin-CRITICAL **: xfce_mixer_plugin_set_card: assertion `GST_IS_MIXER (card)' failed

(xfce4-mixer-plugin:1854): xfce4-mixer-plugin-CRITICAL **: xfce_mixer_plugin_set_track: assertion `GST_IS_MIXER_TRACK (track)' failed

When I close the terminal, the panel closes. And if I remove the Mixer from the panel, it adds this to the output and solves nothing:

(xfce4-mixer-plugin:1854): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion `handler_id > 0' failed

I miss my panel. How can I get it back?

hypergeek14
November 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I probably should have tried to figure it out myself for a bit before rashly asking the forums! The solution was to punch in xfce4-panel in the run dialog you get from ALT+F2 instead of putting it in the terminal.

Thanks anyway! Hope that helps people with a similar problem in the future.

fancypiper
November 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM
You could also issue the command with the nohup option or run it in the background with command &

Then you can close the terminal and the panel will stay open.