PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Be careful Opera 10.10 crashes Cairo Dock

BrockStrongo
November 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Just a heads up to anyone using Cairo Dock and Opera Web Browser.
After upgrading to opera 10.10 my cairo dock would crash every time opera was launched. It didn't seem to matter what version of cairo or whether or not opengl was used. After reverting to opera 10.0 cairo dock is acting properly again. I have the terminal output if anyone wants to have a look.

Ubuntu Karmic 64bit

dhavalbbhatt
November 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
If you are looking to use another dock, then try avant windows manager (awm), it's really nice and highly customizable.

BrockStrongo
November 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
If you are looking to use another dock, then try avant windows manager (awm), it's really nice and highly customizable.

Thanks,
I have used awn (avant window navigator) in the past as well as Gnome-Do docky and have found that cairo-dock is faster and smoother, especially when using opengl. However I might consider giving it another chance if cairo ends up being incompatible with another app.
Cheers

fabounet
November 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
this is a know recent problem, Opera seems to provide a buggy icon to X.
The workaround is to use the option "overwrite X icons" in the Taskbar module, until this is fixed in the 2.1.2.

BrockStrongo
November 26th, 2009, 11:21 PM
this is a know recent problem, Opera seems to provide a buggy icon to X.
The workaround is to use the option "overwrite X icons" in the Taskbar module, until this is fixed in the 2.1.2.

Awesome,this workaround has fixed my problem. Now update manager can stop pestering me to update opera.
It is amazing what a checkmark can do.
Thanks for all the help.

fabounet
November 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
ok the problem is now fixed on the PPA :-)

BrockStrongo
November 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
ok the problem is now fixed on the PPA :-)

Which PPA is this fixed in. Opera, or Cairo Dock,and, if it is Cairo Dock PPA is it the Cairo Dock (Stable) or Weekly (unstable). I am still kinda new to this.
Thanks,

fabounet
November 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
on the Cairo-Dock's weeky PPA (which is "unstable" in the sense it includes the latest features/bug-fixs)
hope it will be fixed in Opera soon too.