PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Login After Recent Auto Update

glicholas
November 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hi all,
I woke up this morning and was lucky enough to have an auto update ready on Karmic Koala. After installing it, it asked me to reboot, which I did. I am now welcomed by the regular login screen. After I type in my password, the screen flickers a few times, I see some text for half an instant, and then it goes back to the login screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at home for break so I can't access my desktop to make a clean install which is what my lazy butt would regularly do...The problem is on my laptop, dual core intel 2.5ghz. 2gb ram, nvidia 8600 gm.

alwayshere
November 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
when ya boot push Esc to see more options that should help ya out start in recovery mode and let it do its thing then choose xfix -Try to fix x server (use arrow keys and tab key to chooser options ) that should sort ya out i hope .

glicholas
November 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I was able to boot into recovery mode and try the option that "repairs packages" but no luck. However, I was able to login in with the prompt mode. Is there a way I can use this to revert to before the update? That is, if there's nothing else to do to fix this for now.

uncledeath
November 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Same problem here :(

HP Compaq 6710b with GMA965 chipset

jaylsi
November 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I have offered this suggestions 3 times already in a day, but here goes again: :)
1) On login screen, click user name, and enter password, but don't hit enter yet. Select "failsafe gnome" from the session list at bottom of screen, then login.
2) Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drive to install video driver
3) Reboot

Good luck.

uncledeath
November 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I can't see any gnome safe mode button in the login screen. In my case sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop helped although I don't understand why - it only installed empathy and rhtyhmbox that I removed a few days ago. I hope my solution works for other users too

alwayshere
November 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM
push Esc button while booting you should see a list the highlighted line at the top is the newest if ya want to roll back just use arrow button to highligt a earlier kernel version not labled as (recovery mode ) note the lower the numbers the older the version.

NeilHoskins
December 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem, and was going to try some of these fixes this evening. However, it just booted fine.

Bizarre.